5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siriusxm renewal

U

User_3336

The subscription that came with my 2021 when new is about to expire. I barley listen to it so I really don't care whether I have it but I texted customer care to see what they would offer. Earlier this summer, I had paid a couple of dollars for a three month trial of "Platinum" service. I don't even remember what the Platinum level gave me above the standard subscription that came with the truck. Maybe it was streaming capability?

Regardless, I was surprised that they let me walk away so quickly. They offered, "you are eligible to get services at just $4.99 plus fees and taxes per month for a year. Would that be okay?" I said no thanks and they replied, "okay, I have gone ahead and canceled your subscription."

This is my first time dealing with SiriusXM. I assume they will start sending offeres to get me to resubscribe. I guess if it's cheap enough, I'll consider doing so, but I really don't care one way or the other.
4.99 a month is the best offer I've been solicited. (aside from the few extra months after the trial for $2)

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The subscription that came with my 2021 when new is about to expire. I barley listen to it so I really don't care whether I have it but I texted customer care to see what they would offer. Earlier this summer, I had paid a couple of dollars for a three month trial of "Platinum" service. I don't even remember what the Platinum level gave me above the standard subscription that came with the truck. Maybe it was streaming capability?

Regardless, I was surprised that they let me walk away so quickly. They offered, "you are eligible to get services at just $4.99 plus fees and taxes per month for a year. Would that be okay?" I said no thanks and they replied, "okay, I have gone ahead and canceled your subscription."

This is my first time dealing with SiriusXM. I assume they will start sending offeres to get me to resubscribe. I guess if it's cheap enough, I'll consider doing so, but I really don't care one way or the other.
They let you walk because that's as cheap as it goes. 60 bucks for a year. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't offer you anything :)

U

User_3336

They let you walk because that's as cheap as it goes. 60 bucks for a year. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't offer you anything :)
Just like when Sirius Guardian expires. $10 a month is the best offer you will get for security and convenience pkg!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the OP, there is nothing wrong with attempting to push the envelope on pricing for any of the services on your Ram but I believe you're been offered the best price out there. I can remember when Sirius was $249.99 a year and nobody dreamed it would be $60 a year. You could call up and get a discount off the $249.99 but no where close to $60. Then about January 2020 (my memory may be off), Sirius started offering their renewal subscriptions for $60 a year. It is the best I've seen in my lifetime and IMHO not a bad deal for a year of service if Sirius is your thing but it never hurts to ask if there are additional discounts. However, once you get their "No" response, then be prepared to pony up the $60 or they're done talking to you and on to the next customer.

P.S. I've found Sirius good for one thing - college football (the only football worth watching or listening to these days since the Godless, anti-American, corrupt and overpaid NFL went off the rails). God help Sirius if college football ever goes off the rails as there won't be anything worthy of my hard earned money on Sirius and the subscription will terminate.

Grouper

Reaction score
They let you walk because that's as cheap as it goes. 60 bucks for a year. (plus taxes and "fees")

I guess so, but having never dealt with SiriusXM previously, I anticipated a better follow-on offer based on reading so many comments in these threads advising never to accept their first offer.

Night Rebel

Reaction score
Mine was $60 a year. But I do use the app to listen to some of the xtra channels on there. I like some of them better then other music streaming apps.

slatersan

Reaction score
Just like when Sirius Guardian expires. $10 a month is the best offer you will get for security and convenience pkg!
I've used that exactly function exactly once, when I set it up the first time.

slatersan

Reaction score
P.S. I've found Sirius good for one thing - college football (the only football worth watching or listening to these days since the Godless, anti-American, corrupt and overpaid NFL went off the rails). God help Sirius if college football ever goes off the rails as there won't be anything worthy of my hard earned money on Sirius and the subscription will terminate.

Sweet jesus...

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
For the last couple of years, $60 a year seems to be the "real" price if you threaten to walk. Normally, I call or chat on their website and say that their service costs too much for me. They respond with several deals that I reject until we get down to around $60. Of course, they will want a credit card number so they can charge you full price next year. To handle that, I've signed up on "Privacy.com". On this website, you can set up Virtual credit cards where you can control the per-transaction amount charged, and the total amount charged on that card. So many people use Privacy.com for this that they have a "SirusXM" design for your virtual credit card so you can always remember that's what you will use that one for.

I set my virtual credit card to the limit I expect to pay with tax, fees, etc. Usually around $80 or less. Then I call SiriusXM, make my deal and give them the number on the virtual credit card. They normally charge that card while I'm on the phone or on chat with them. I can see it go through on Privacy.com that I have pulled up in a separate windows. Once the charge goes through. I set the chargeable amount on the virtual card to $0. That way SiriusXM cannot charge me anymore. So instead of getting charged $250 automatically next year, I get an email from SiriusXM next year saying my card will not work. Then I call or text and make next year's deal after resetting the card to around $80 again.

Last edited:

41magmag41

Reaction score
For the last couple of years, $60 a year seems to be the "real" price if you threaten to walk. Normally, I call or chat on their website and say that their service costs too much for me. They respond with several deals that I reject until we get down to around $60. Of course, they will want a credit card number so they can charge you full price next year. To handle that, I've signed up on "Privacy.com". On this website, you can set up Virtual credit cards where you can control the per-transaction amount charged, and the total amount charged on that card. So many people use Privacy.com for this that they have a "SirusXM" design for your virtual credit card so you can always remember that's what you will use that one for.

I set my virtual credit card to the limit I expect to pay with tax, fees, etc. Usually around $80 or less. Then I call SiriusXM, make my deal and give them the number on the virtual credit card. They normally charge that card while I'm on the phone or on chat with them. I can see it go through on Privacy.com that I have pulled up in a separate windows. Once the charge goes through. I set the chargeable amount on the virtual card to $0. That way SiriusXM cannot charge me anymore. So instead of getting charged $250 automatically next year, I get an email from SiriusXM next year saying my card will not work. Then I call or text and make next year's deal after resetting the card to around $80 again.
I like this idea, I usually tell them to bill me with an invoice and they do but charge mw a couple of dollars to do it. Im getting to the point that I may cancel because of poor reception.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like this idea, I usually tell them to bill me with an invoice and they do but charge mw a couple of dollars to do it. Im getting to the point that I may cancel because of poor reception.
When I called about my 2021 which has a six month subscription (unlike my previous Rams that came with a one year complimentary subscription), I asked if they would give me the $60 annual fee for the next five years. I explained I was tired of calling every year to play the game to get the lowest price and we could cease this nonsense if they’d simply put me down for an annual renewal for the next five years at $60 a year.

Of course, she declined as she was reading from a script and it was obvious I was dealing with an overseas call center where English is not the first language - and they don’t have a lot of discrediting on what can be negotiated.

It still baffles me why they don’t offer a non-refundable 5 year plan for $200 or $250…versus the annual $60 plan (which would equate to a $300 plan over 5 years if paying $60 annually) where you get to call and play the game every year.

Last edited:
U

User_3336

Several banks like Bank of America and Capital one have virtual card capabilities without relying on a third party to manage that.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I called about my 2021 which has a six month subscription (unlike my previous Rams that came with a one year complimentary subscription), I asked if they would give me the $60 annual fee for the next five years. I explained I was tired of calling every year to play the game to get the lowest price and we could cease this nonsense if they’d simply put me down for an annual renewal for the next five years at $60 a year.

Of course, she declined as she was reading from a script and it was obvious I was dealing with an overseas call center where English is not the first language - and they don’t have a lot of discrediting on what can be negotiated.

It still baffles me why they don’t offer a non-refundable 5 year plan for $200 or $250…versus the annual $60 plan (which would equate to a $300 plan over 5 years if paying $60 annually) where you get to call and play the game every year.
100% on this. I like Sirius but the annual game to get the regular price is annoying. Less so since they opened up Chat 2 years ago, where you can just handle it online while working on other stuff.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess so, but having never dealt with SiriusXM previously, I anticipated a better follow-on offer based on reading so many comments in these threads advising never to accept their first offer.
That was bad advice; $60/year is about as close to free as you can get.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I usually get pretty good reception as long as there is not a mountain to the south of me. There's a place on I-30 near the I-30/I-530 exchange in Little Rock where Granite Mountain is right to the south. And that makes reception spotty in my 2003 Dodge Ram. I had a factory receiver with lifetime SiriusXM out of my past PT Cruiser GT Stage 1. So I installed it in the 2003 Ram with a factory stereo that would control it and a matching factory antenna in the factory location. Those old receivers and antennas don't seem to be as good as the newer ones that have been in our past 300's, Chargers and new Ram. The newer ones all pickup really well for us.

To me, what sucks with SiriusXM is the down-sampling. Sometimes the music just doesn't sound very good. In my 2003 Ram and past 2011 Chrysler 300s, the music on SiriusXM sometimes sounds like it's underwater. The 2014 was much better but still not great. The 2017 Charger R/T sounded pretty good about on par with analog FM radio. The 2019 Scat Pack was at another level. They must have found a better way to process the signal because it beats the local analog FM stations most of the time. And the 2021 Ram is even better. Now, depending on the channel, we sometimes get something close to CD quality sound. Again, they must be making incremental improvements to signal processing to make up for the down-sampling on the SiriusXM side.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is usually a back-and-forth game you have to play. You want a deal, they say no. You say I want the same deal I just got and they still say no. You threaten to cancel and they offer half way between regular price and the price you have. After a few more minutes then they finally give you the deal.

For you they just cut to the chase and said we'll give you the deal. They cannot offer better than that so they just moved on.

The $5/month offer you got was for the regular package (formerly known as the Select package), which is one step down from Platinum (aka All-Access).

Your $5/month offer is "normally" $16.99/month. Nothing personal but you basically you scoffed at their 70% discount offer.

Your truck came with a trial of Plantinum/All-Access which has live sporting events, Howard Stern, and a few more app channels than the standard package.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is usually a back-and-forth game you have to play. You want a deal, they say no. You say I want the same deal I just got and they still say no. You threaten to cancel and they offer half way between regular price and the price you have. After a few more minutes then they finally give you the deal.

For you they just cut to the chase and said we'll give you the deal. They cannot offer better than that so they just moved on.

The $5/month offer you got was for the regular package (formerly known as the Select package), which is one step down from Platinum (aka All-Access).

Your $5/month offer is "normally" $16.99/month. Nothing personal but you basically you scoffed at their 70% discount offer.

Your truck came with a trial of Plantinum/All-Access which has live sporting events, Howard Stern, and a few more app channels than the standard package.
FYI…I have the Platinum/All Access trial and when I called they offered so set me up for when my six month trail expires. I said I would agree to the $60 for a year provided it is the Platinum/All Access package. She put me on hold for ten minutes and came back to tell me her supervisor approved it.

It never hurts to ask…

834k3r

Reaction score
Tomorrow my SiriusXM trial ends. About a month ago, they started sending me mail telling me I could subscribe for $5/month. I ignored all the letters (I think I got three), until they called about 2 weeks ago. They offered $5/month, with additional channels, for the next year. To me, SXM is worth the $6 ($5 + taxes) per month; it's not worth $16/month to me.

So I've set a calendar reminder to call them next September to cancel my subscription, and I'll ask for $60/year when they protest.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI…I have the Platinum/All Access trial and when I called they offered so set me up for when my six month trail expires. I said I would agree to the $60 for a year provided it is the Platinum/All Access package. She put me on hold for ten minutes and came back to tell me her supervisor approved it.

It never hurts to ask…
That's the best deal I've heard of to date. Next time I'll have to hold out for a better deal or get some extra channels like 834k3r did. (y)

Users who are viewing this thread