5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SiriusXM Plans & Strategy

Grouper

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie Level 2 which includes a six month trial of SiriusXM and a 60 month "trial" of SiriusXM Traffic Plus + SiriusXM Travel Link.

They are offering three months of "free" SiriusXM All Access but of course, there is a $2 fee which requires submitting credit card info and agreeing to automatic renewal.

While the radio in my 2021 Ram is lights years more advanced than what was in my previous 2010 Silverado, the Silverado had SiriusXM capability and I never subscribed. I only drive around 5K-6K miles a year, but I'm aware the subscription allows streaming on other devices.

If I'm considering a subscription, is it better to forgo the "free" three month trial extension? I'm assuming if I simply stick with the original included six month trial, SiriusXM will send various discounted offers after expiration, whereas taking the three month extension puts one in a position of auto-renewal at a non-discounted rate.

And I assume there is another package entirely if one wishes to keep the app functionality (lock/unlock doors, auto start, etc.) after the initial six months (SiriusGuardian)?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what you have to do with XM, just keep getting the "3 months for $2" or "6 months for $5 a month" deals. I put an alert in my calendar to cancel XM about 2 weeks before my trial ends, and then they'll contact me or offer me an extension of the "deal".

If you drive 5-6k miles per year, that's 1/3-1/2 of what I drive. I'd say just don't even bother with XM unless you absolutely have to have it for sports or something.

rws1944

Reaction score
I have had Siriusxm for four years now and never paid more than $100/yr for the All Access plan. Giving a credit card is no big deal as when the renewal notice is sent at their prevailing high rate all you do is call and tell them to cancel your service. They always come back at a lesser rate. Here is a web site that will walk you through the game.

https://wallethacks.com/save-75-sirius-xm-radio-subscriptions/

CharlieP

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie Level 2 which includes a six month trial of SiriusXM and a 60 month "trial" of SiriusXM Traffic Plus + SiriusXM Travel Link.

They are offering three months of "free" SiriusXM All Access but of course, there is a $2 fee which requires submitting credit card info and agreeing to automatic renewal.

While the radio in my 2021 Ram is lights years more advanced than what was in my previous 2010 Silverado, the Silverado had SiriusXM capability and I never subscribed. I only drive around 5K-6K miles a year, but I'm aware the subscription allows streaming on other devices.

If I'm considering a subscription, is it better to forgo the "free" three month trial extension? I'm assuming if I simply stick with the original included six month trial, SiriusXM will send various discounted offers after expiration, whereas taking the three month extension puts one in a position of auto-renewal at a non-discounted rate.

And I assume there is another package entirely if one wishes to keep the app functionality (lock/unlock doors, auto start, etc.) after the initial six months (SiriusGuardian)?
I guess I am on of the Lucky ones when I bought my 2008 Silverado I got the lifetime plan so it continues with me no matter what I own as long as I live. not bad for $400 bucks back in 08

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
I am going to call and threaten to cancel on their security package. With covid not driving much and it’s been a mild winter up here so don’t see a need for starting the car via the app at all

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had Siriusxm for four years now and never paid more than $100/yr for the All Access plan. Giving a credit card is no big deal as when the renewal notice is sent at their prevailing high rate all you do is call and tell them to cancel your service. They always come back at a lesser rate. Here is a web site that will walk you through the game.

This is me as well except I don't even call, I do it online in their chat window. The 100 bucks also lets me stream sirius online.

Night Rebel

Reaction score
They will pretty much always negotiate to keep you as a customer. im going to try to get a 3 year deal. But we’ll see.

Boston

Reaction score
I let mine drop. Ignored their pleas.
Don’t miss it one bit.

I did toy with getting it again ahead of a long drive thats in danger of becoming monthly. Ultimately opted out and got simple radio app on my phone and use up data big time.

Travman32

Reaction score
When we picked up our Ram they gave us a year subscription free but our trade in vehicle still had an active subscription that they wouldn't transfer, so after a lot of back and forth and a few different people at SiriusXM they prorated our previous subscription as a credit to the account and gave us a second year at $60 (minus the proration). Plus we kept the free year so we paid a total of $15.00 for 2 years of service.

What I have found with them is you have to be relentless, I wont pay more than $60 a year for the service and haven't for quite a few years now.

RJS

Reaction score

Same here. You'll need the all-access plan for streaming. Just before my year was up Sirius sent me an offer to renew all-access for $90/yr. I took it and it started on the date my free subscription was up. The streaming is the best part as I use it on my phone or computer much more than in my truck. They have gotten much better over the last couple of years. Not much of a compliment as they couldn't have gotten worse.
Total was a tad over $100 with fees, etc.

Grouper

Reaction score
Same here. You'll need the all-access plan for streaming. Just before my year was up Sirius sent me an offer to renew all-access for $90/yr. I took it and it started on the date my free subscription was up. The streaming is the best part as I use it on my phone or computer much more than in my truck. They have gotten much better over the last couple of years. Not much of a compliment as they couldn't have gotten worse.
Total was a tad over $100 with fees, etc.
Thanks. I guess there's a distinction that can get blurred between the vehicle only plans and "all access" plans.

I did the "free" ($2) three month extension yesterday and that effectively changed my plan to "all access." I'm now able to stream on Alexa and via the phone app, etc.

Worth noting, I enabled the Alexa skill and was listening inside the house when I downloaded the app on my phone. As soon as I logged-in on my phone, the Alexa stream stepped because the service was being accessed simultaneously by more than one device.

Last edited:

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Just remember to cancel before the renewal.
I have never paid more than $5 a month for Sirus/xm.
I always milk the Intro rates for 6 months and Cancel and renew.

Grouper

Reaction score
SiriusXM and SiriusXM Guardian are two different packages.

What's the pricing for Guardian and is it negotiable as well?

I'm not even sure how many months of Guardian were included in the purchase of the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread