5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

side mirror removal to replace mirror cap

baf3472

Reaction score
Hey all. I’ve replaced my drivers side mirror and have my original for sale if anyone needs one. I pulled the wires out of the connector for the blind spot warning plug so if you are comfortable soldering, it’ll save you $100 if you break the mirror while removing it. See the attached photos. Thanks.
I did the same thing on my passenger side. I don’t believe those are soldered in. They just clip in. I took the yellow weatherproofing seal off from the wires and inserted that into the connector then took the wires and put them in till there was a slight snap.

midntrdr

Reaction score
Success. Did this today in 31 degree Michigan weather. Used a heat gun on the mirror for maybe 3-4 minutes focusing mostly on the center of mirror where the clips are. Then used the bondo brand dent puller suction cup from Walmart. Centered it on the mirror and pulled progressively harder until it popped loose. Both sides popped off pretty easily without a ton of force.

Jeremy47

Reaction score
Success. Did this today in 31 degree Michigan weather. Used a heat gun on the mirror for maybe 3-4 minutes focusing mostly on the center of mirror where the clips are. Then used the bondo brand dent puller suction cup from Walmart. Centered it on the mirror and pulled progressively harder until it popped loose. Both sides popped off pretty easily without a ton of force.

Good job! The key is to heat the mirror before pulling. If you don’t, you’ll break that mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Changed out both caps today in about 30 min with no issues. Would’ve been quicker but I forgot to put the torx screw back in the first one and had to take it back apart.

Heated the glass for about 3 min with a heat gun, gave one quick tug with the suction cup while holding the housing with one hand and they popped right off with no problems.

Since I remember it being mentioned a little back in the thread, the black wire on both my mirrors was the outboard wire. I don’t think it makes a difference either way though.

Edit: If anyone is looking to swap out their chrome caps on a diamond black truck, PM me. The caps I took off my truck are the diamond black they use with the night edition now and came off the truck with 500 miles on it and will just be sitting in a box.

Last edited:

TheMopars

Reaction score
Swapped out my Laramie chrome caps for Delmonico Red today. I picked up a suction cup and heated the mirror with a blow
dryer. Took my time, about 45 min overall. Just hope I got the black & black/blue wires right.

Thanks to everyone who posted tips on the mirror/caps removal.

Last edited:

jchickman

Reaction score
I got halfway on my replacement covers today. Drivers side worked fine, but damn it was a scary amount of pressure on that mirror. Started on the passenger side, but there was a lot less gap to get my gorilla fingers in behind the mirror. Unfortunately I didn’t see the suction cup comments until now. More unfortunately I cracked the mirror, and didn’t even get the mirror out. So $60 replacement on the way. I’ll pull the cracked one when the new one arrives.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Im in the process of doing this now. I just removed my mirrors today it wasn't hard I just tilted them all the way down and stuck a screwdriver behind the mirror there's 2 clips on the corners that need to be lifted up you will feel the mirror release on the top when these clips are released then you just wiggle the mirror and the bottom clips release. I pick up my covers in the morning from the dealership they are $25.40 each here in Dallas at Dallas Dodge. Try your local dealer you might be able to save $10-$15 dollars compared to the ones the dealership sales on eBay.

This is very interesting. Hopefully more members here try your method and report back, I might try this too if enough people do it this way successfully (yeah I'm a chicken).

Brookelf

Reaction score
This is very interesting. Hopefully more members here try your method and report back, I might try this too if enough people do it this way successfully (yeah I'm a chicken).
I've done it 3 times this way now I did it first with the the original mirrors then I bought a set of mirrors with blindspot and cameras. Which I then had to do this process over again on Both sets mirrors to switch the caps. With this method you're not apply enough pressure to break the mirror.

Jako

Reaction score
I got halfway on my replacement covers today. Drivers side worked fine, but damn it was a scary amount of pressure on that mirror. Started on the passenger side, but there was a lot less gap to get my gorilla fingers in behind the mirror. Unfortunately I didn’t see the suction cup comments until now. More unfortunately I cracked the mirror, and didn’t even get the mirror out. So $60 replacement on the way. I’ll pull the cracked one when the new one arrives.
What was outside temperature and did you use any heat?

jchickman

Reaction score
Jako - it was around 65, I missed the e heat gun trick too. So no heat but the sunshine.

Jako

Reaction score
Jako - it was around 65, I missed the e heat gun trick too. So no heat but the sunshine.
New to the forum, live and learn. Lot of info and good people on the forum. Some of the info via the search is not the best. I find sometimes google with 5th Gen Forum as part of the search works better. If you can't find info with a search, reach out to the members. A lot of people on the same road with mods and such. Be careful, your wallet will lose weight.

jfchnet

Reaction score
Im in the process of doing this now. I just removed my mirrors today it wasn't hard I just tilted them all the way down and stuck a screwdriver behind the mirror there's 2 clips on the corners that need to be lifted up you will feel the mirror release on the top when these clips are released then you just wiggle the mirror and the bottom clips release. I pick up my covers in the morning from the dealership they are $25.40 each here in Dallas at Dallas Dodge. Try your local dealer you might be able to save $10-$15 dollars compared to the ones the dealership sales on eBay.
I just swap my cover with this method, and it work perfectly well. Thank you !!! I was very worried to break the mirrors on my brand new truck, but it went very well. In my case, there was 4 groups of 2 clips in each corner, lifted the 4 top, wiggle a little bit and the mirror released. There is really not a big gap wen the mirror is in an 'all down' position. I had to pry it a little bit and use some 90* bend hook.

silver billet

Reaction score
I just swap my cover with this method, and it work perfectly well. Thank you !!! I was very worried to break the mirrors on my brand new truck, but it went very well. In my case, there was 4 groups of 2 clips in each corner, lifted the 4 top, wiggle a little bit and the mirror released. There is really not a big gap wen the mirror is in an 'all down' position. I had to pry it a little bit and use some 90* bend hook.

I've tried this method but couldn't find any clips. Do you have the standard mirrors or the tow mirrors? Any other hints on where to find the clips?

Brookelf

Reaction score
I've tried this method but couldn't find any clips. Do you have the standard mirrors or the tow mirrors? Any other hints on where to find the clipsIt's
I have standard mirrors the clips are plastic black just imagine a clock and what would be the corners of the clock. My mirrors had clips on the top if it were a clock at the 10,12,and 2 position. Tilt the mirror all the way down and use a long skinny screw driver to lift those top clips. Once those on top are lose just wiggle and the bottom ones will release. I've had mine off 3 times now with no problems.

RedWhite&PatriotBlue

Reaction score
Just finished this job! I was nervous at first but ultimately pretty easy. This forum laid it all out, and with the suction cup, the mirror came right out. I installed the blue wires closest to the window, as I found that on here and online. I used a blow dryer for 5 min just to warm it up as a safety precaution. If you're nervous, spend the $10 for the suction cup and you should be good. Total time for this was 30-40min. Love the truck, but did not like the chrome mirrors as it is to much in my opinion, not anymore!

Attachments

• 20210321_111517.jpg
    20210321_111517.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210321_120248.jpg
    20210321_120248.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 53

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just did this last night! So glad I read this thread before applying more pressure!

I tried early in the day and felt like I was applying too much pressure on the mirror. Looked it up here and found the secret! Also, I actually used a phone mount with a suction mount lol worked like a charm with the heat gun.

I'm a little concerned though, I didn't see the pictured white plug on the passenger side. Well, I don't remember seeing it. So I'm wondering if I missed it? Anybody else seen this too?

20210405_223529.jpg 20210405_224204.jpg

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just did this last night! So glad I read this thread before applying more pressure!

I tried early in the day and felt like I was applying too much pressure on the mirror. Looked it up here and found the secret! Also, I actually used a phone mount with a suction mount lol worked like a charm with the heat gun.

I'm a little concerned though, I didn't see the pictured white plug on the passenger side. Well, I don't remember seeing it. So I'm wondering if I missed it? Anybody else seen this too?
This makes sense to me I believe that the white connector is the "eye" that senses if headlights are shining in the mirror, the other 2 are the ones that actually auto-dim the mirror. I think both mirrors dim at the same time so just one side would need the "eye"

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This makes sense to me I believe that the white connector is the "eye" that senses if headlights are shining in the mirror, the other 2 are the ones that actually auto-dim the mirror. I think both mirrors dim at the same time so just one side would need the "eye"

Ahh I see now, thank you!

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
now that I say that, I might be wrong, as there is a blind spot indicator in there also?? wow too many connections. and there could also be connections for defrost and defrost indicator.

Last edited:

Triton2k3

Reaction score
What part would the heating be coming from?

I was able to replace these this weekend. I cracked the passenger side not using heat and suction cup.the drivers side I heated up a little too much I think. The glass started to separate in the bottom corner but I was able to take a screw driver to the clips and pop them.

Either way, I bought the truck a month and a half ago. I have never used the heated mirrors. I was able to test that the auto dimming is working. My passenger side mirror heats up without a problem. The driver side barely seems like it heats up. Is that normal? I left it running for 10 minutes and it seemed slightly warm at best, while the passenger side is burning hot.

Users who are viewing this thread