5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should You Order A TRX Now, Or Wait For The 2021 Raptor?

chrisfuss

Reaction score

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think a question you have to ask yourself is that do you really need, or want to spend all that money on a 700hp truck? If I could buy a TRX and get it with the 6.2L NA HEMI that makes about 565hp...and save an additional $5K or so...I would do that. Sure the 700+hp is appealing, but it is way overkill for 95+% of buyers. I think it's a matter of time before they decide to drop the non-Supercharged engine in the TRX to make it more appealing from a price standpoint and that's still a TON of hp for a truck! I am holding out until 2022 to see what happens on all fronts. I am totally fine spending $80-$85K, but I want the kinks worked out first and see what changes they make based on customer feedback and how the options may be impacted. I also would wait for the next Gen Uconnect.

Ford, RAM, Rivian, Lordstown will all have their trucks on the market so the field will get interesting to say the least :)

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be cool to have, I agree. It has way more of everything I’ll ever need all the way around.

I would be good with just powertrain transplant in my truck now tho. Just for full sleeper.......

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think a question you have to ask yourself is that do you really need, or want to spend all that money on a 700hp truck? If I could buy a TRX and get it with the 6.2L NA HEMI that makes about 565hp...and save an additional $5K or so...I would do that. Sure the 700+hp is appealing, but it is way overkill for 95+% of buyers. I think it's a matter of time before they decide to drop the non-Supercharged engine in the TRX to make it more appealing from a price standpoint and that's still a TON of hp for a truck! I am holding out until 2022 to see what happens on all fronts. I am totally fine spending $80-$85K, but I want the kinks worked out first and see what changes they make based on customer feedback and how the options may be impacted. I also would wait for the next Gen Uconnect.

Ford, RAM, Rivian, Lordstown will all have their trucks on the market so the field will get interesting to say the least :)
If we're talking $90K vs. $95K, I'm getting 700+ HP.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The TRX discussion is great. I haven't laughed so much in awhile.

I hope Rod Hall comes back to mopar and hammers the Baja...i think he is still alive

Edit: he passed in 2019...i forgot. R.I.P.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

I've mentioned this in other threads. I'm in agreement with you, except for the amount you're talking about. You can theoretically get the new TRX with the hellcat engine for less than $72k. If I could get the TRX with a normal 1500 power train for around the $60k - $65k mark I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Call it an appearance package. The looks are my favorite part about it. I never thought I'd say something like this, but I'm really not interested in 700 hp for what is in essence a commuter vehicle at this point in my life.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Considering that 99% of all Raptors are in the $70,000 plus range, that the base $55,000 supercab variant is pretty much a unicorn, and that the $71,000 TRX is actually pretty well equipped, with a similar interior to my Rebel now, I would say they are pretty close in price already.

The Super Raptor will likely have a 700 plus hp GT500 motor, but I suspect it will cost more in the real world than a similar equipped TRX since the 3.5L is already close in real world pricing to the TRX.

Even as a Ford fan my whole life who loves the current Raptor, I would get the TRX now unless you want to pay closer to 100K for your next truck, assuming you rather have the V8 Raptor?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've mentioned this in other threads. I'm in agreement with you, except for the amount you're talking about. You can theoretically get the new TRX with the hellcat engine for less than $72k. If I could get the TRX with a normal 1500 power train for around the $60k - $65k mark I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Call it an appearance package. The looks are my favorite part about it. I never thought I'd say something like this, but I'm really not interested in 700 hp for what is in essence a commuter vehicle at this point in my life.
I hear ya and we’re on the same page. I would only buy the TR2 package which will top out around $85K so that’s what I was referencing.

Users who are viewing this thread