5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shifter knob issues, 2019 RAM 1500, help- BRAND NEW

Bram2019

Reaction score
I am curious. Are all these complaints with vehicles with the regular 5.7 hemi and not the etorque. The reason I ask because there are differences internally in the transmissions of the 2 packages

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ditto. Any chance you guys can put etorque and build date in your sigs?

Paulny

Reaction score
I am curious. Are all these complaints with vehicles with the regular 5.7 hemi and not the etorque. The reason I ask because there are differences internally in the transmissions of the 2 packages

1st '19 WAS etorque, build 08/18.
2nd '19 is NOT etorque, build 11/20/18

Jtbarrett88

Reaction score
How long have u been without your truck or how many times has it been in the shop with this problem

Paulny

Reaction score
How long have u been without your truck or how many times has it been in the shop with this problem

First truck almost a month in the shop, second truck 2 days so far and tomorrow makes day 3. I have many other quality issues that need addressed, but this one is first.

Last edited:

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel your pain, trust me. It's very frustrating and not to beat a dead horse, but FCA has the WORST quality control dept. of any automaker I have ever experienced. How these trucks are allowed to leave the factory with absurdly obvious defects and quality issues is beyond me. Chrysler/Dodge has historically been known as the manufacturer that simply produces junk....my only other Chrysler purchase was a new '98 Jeep GC Limited which was eventually purchased back as a lemon. However, I would have thought that FCA had made strides 21 years later, but after purchasing back to back '19's with numerous quality issues (including the infamous slamming into gear after drive is selected), it's clearly evident to me that FCA is still producing junk with a pretty dress on to hide it. I am scheduled to have a "new" valve body installed tomorrow, but my dealer called today to inform me they already inquired about obtaining a new tranny. That tells me they suspect the new valve body won't work. Currently, I have been taking my truck to dealerships trying to trade it in. I am painfully finding out that FCA also has the biggest depreciation of any vehicle I have owned. It's absurd what I am being offered for my Rebel 12 which is only 4 weeks old. I know you take a hit when you drive off the lot, but I was not prepared for my truck to take an immediate 30% loss. I am at the point where I am contemplating taking the hit and getting rid of this junk. It's worth losing the $$ to me for not owning a FCA product and piece of mind at this point.

I wish you luck, and am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. If it's not too late, can you return the truck and back out of the deal?
Amen.

Paulny

Reaction score
What other quality issues so maybe I can keep an eye out on mine too

Check your paint for clear coat runs, paint runs. Check your rear drain plugs if you have a sunroof as they are likely hanging freely and will let water in (search the forum). Sunroof rattles (search the forum). Interior rattles, dash defects (again, search the forum), door/hood/rambox/panel misalignments, water leaks from the front of the vehicle even without sunroof. That should get you started, but there are more things to look for (look at thread "how many problems with your '19" and there is a poll there you can take, and see issues others are having as well.

Jtbarrett88

Reaction score
oy! I do not like the sound of those problems... wth happened to quality in a 60 THOUSAND DOLLAR TRUCK!?

ponypride

Reaction score
I have one paint run that I have to show to my dealer. I hope they don’t give me a hard time.

tdeperte

Reaction score
My non etorque 2019 Laramie with a sunroof has NONE of these problems. I previously owned a 2016 Ram 3500 with the 6.7 and not one issue in three years of ownership. I must be the lucky one.

Jtbarrett88

Reaction score
Ugh! you guys are lucky, I wish I was in the same boat... I love this truck...but not happy it's ALREADY having problems at 200 miles

Ghinesley

Reaction score
My truck stickers for $66k on the lot, and I don't have any of these defects that Paulny speaks of. My sunroof drains are connected, I have had numerous downpours in the last month here in Oregon, not a trace of water. I have been thru the carwash a couple of times, no issues. I have no rattles, vibrations, or anything. I inspected every inch of this truck inside and out for cosmetic concerns when I bought it, and had I seen anything, I wouldn't have bought it. Why you would buy a new truck with clear coat issues is beyond me. There are plenty of these trucks available.

My only "issue" is the intermittent no-go from P to D. It doesn't even really bother me, its as simple as rotating back to R, then back to D, and off I go. I have had it do it probably 20 times now in the month/800 miles I have been driving the truck.....never once have I felt that my safety was in jeopardy.

Give the dealer/FCA a chance to work with the MANUFACTURER/SUPPLIER of the fault part (likely ZF) vs getting on here and bad mouthing the brand. Its not constructive, you have had your chance to trade the truck in and get a different brand. Move on if you hate it so much. Its only money, and its not worth your disappointment in your purchase to hold onto it. I personally love this truck, and its my first Ram. I know it will get figured out at some point, but the constant updates on this forum about bad mouthing FCA is getting tiresome, and clogging up the threads causing new members to ask the same questions that we have already answered over and over again. We should be focused as owners to work collaboratively to share information to resolve this........

Paulny

Reaction score
My truck stickers for $66k on the lot, and I don't have any of these defects that Paulny speaks of. My sunroof drains are connected, I have had numerous downpours in the last month here in Oregon, not a trace of water. I have been thru the carwash a couple of times, no issues. I have no rattles, vibrations, or anything. I inspected every inch of this truck inside and out for cosmetic concerns when I bought it, and had I seen anything, I wouldn't have bought it. Why you would buy a new truck with clear coat issues is beyond me. There are plenty of these trucks available.

My only "issue" is the intermittent no-go from P to D. It doesn't even really bother me, its as simple as rotating back to R, then back to D, and off I go. I have had it do it probably 20 times now in the month/800 miles I have been driving the truck.....never once have I felt that my safety was in jeopardy.

Give the dealer/FCA a chance to work with the MANUFACTURER/SUPPLIER of the fault part (likely ZF) vs getting on here and bad mouthing the brand. Its not constructive, you have had your chance to trade the truck in and get a different brand. Move on if you hate it so much. Its only money, and its not worth your disappointment in your purchase to hold onto it. I personally love this truck, and its my first Ram. I know it will get figured out at some point, but the constant updates on this forum about bad mouthing FCA is getting tiresome, and clogging up the threads causing new members to ask the same questions that we have already answered over and over again. We should be focused as owners to work collaboratively to share information to resolve this........

Glad you are happy with your purchase. Also, I respect your intention to down play the no-go from P to D but respectfully this is a serious issue that could get someone injured. The fact that yours has done it 20 times in the short month/800 miles is very concerning to me, and can't imagine why you don't feel that your safety is potentially being compromised. But hey, I am not you and ultimately it's none of my business how you choose to assess your vehicles condition.

I hate you feel that I am bad mouthing the brand, but I speak from experience with these vehicles not just rumor. I am glad you love your truck, and wish you nothing but the best. However, I have purchased 2 back to back pieces of crap that have nothing but issues. And, I didn't notice the paint runs until I got home and was able to do a detail job myself. Tragically, my paint issues are the last thing on my mind as there are too many bigger issues to deal with. Lastly, I have shared my information several times and do so in the hopes of all of us finding answers to our problems. But, I do not apologize for "bashing" FCA as I still stand behind my humble opinion that they have the worst quality control of any automaker....period. Oh, I have tried to trade my truck but after taking a 30%+ hit right off the bat, it makes it a difficult decision to lose my ****! Trust me, I want to get rid of my truck.

Ghinesley

Reaction score
Glad you are happy with your purchase. Also, I respect your intention to down play the no-go from P to D but respectfully this is a serious issue that could get someone injured. The fact that yours has done it 20 times in the short month/800 miles is very concerning to me, and can't imagine why you don't feel that your safety is potentially being compromised. But hey, I am not you and ultimately it's none of my business how you choose to assess your vehicles condition.

I hate you feel that I am bad mouthing the brand, but I speak from experience with these vehicles not just rumor. I am glad you love your truck, and wish you nothing but the best. However, I have purchased 2 back to back pieces of crap that have nothing but issues. And, I didn't notice the paint runs until I got home and was able to do a detail job myself. Tragically, my paint issues are the last thing on my mind as there are too many bigger issues to deal with. Lastly, I have shared my information several times and do so in the hopes of all of us finding answers to our problems. But, I do not apologize for "bashing" FCA as I still stand behind my humble opinion that they have the worst quality control of any automaker....period. Oh, I have tried to trade my truck but after taking a 30%+ hit right off the bat, it makes it a difficult decision to lose my ****! Trust me, I want to get rid of my truck.

I am truthfully trying to understand how my safety could be affected by the P to D issue. Literally, I am in a parking spot, putting it into D, it doesn't go, so I select R then to D and drive away. It takes like 3 seconds. If there is a scenario you have been in where your safety was jeopardized, please share. Safety items are what create recalls. If its not an immenient danger it will be come a TSB.....

As far as trading and losing 30%......thats what happens when you trade a new car - its not fair, but they are depreciable assets. Sell it privately may be a better option to recoup some of your depreciation. I completely understand your frustrating with you new car, especially dealing with it twice. But bad mouthing a brand on a public forum is not likely to get you anywhere especially when the customer service rep is on here reaching out to help. I felt like reading all of these posts you are generalizing that FCA is bad, when in fact, your truck appears to be the only one with these defects (paint, sunroof drains, rattles, etc.) Also, its not fair to potential buyers of these trucks to assume that they are all bad. It was motor trend truck of the year, and won numerous awards......and having bought it, I see why, its a fantastic vehicle.

My only goal/objective on being active in this forum, is to understand the issue the shifting into D is having, and to work collaboratively with the customer care reps, and other owners so we can all get down to the bottom of this. Almost every new car I have ever owned has had some sort of teething issues.......and it just takes time for the engineers to find out why. I just believe to give them the benefit of the doubt, and until more trucks are seen by dealers, and more of these symptoms are documented, we can only speculate what the fix is.

Please give us an update on your valve body repair....that sounds like the first step we are all going to have to take. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this solves it for you, as I am dropping my truck off Thursday morning for hopefully the same repair.

Jtbarrett88

Reaction score
Paulny can you message me your number possibly! I would like to talk to you about this! My dealership is having trouble resolving this issue. Maybe u can send me the Chrysler star case numbers or whatever they are called so I can have my dealership look up your cases to see what was done. Apparently Chrysler is denying they have had any complaints of this and my dealership wants to know of other cases out there so they can fix this. Maybe u can call your dealership and get those Chrysler case numbers for me or possibly even the vin#. Maybe they can look it up by that. Just want my truck fixed :/

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You gotta be F'ing kidding. I thought we were getting somewhere and now FCA denies they heard of this????????????

Please update us if that isn't the case.

Jtbarrett88

Reaction score
Yeah they said they’ve not heard of this issue happening. My dealer is going to look into this further. But how frustrating!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread