5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Shift to P then Desired Gear" Error

bigwidge

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I have a 2019 Ram four-door with approx. 44k miles. I had it for about 6 months when I got this alert for the first time. I was coming to a stop light, and the truck dings at me, gives me the error code "Shift to P then Desired Gear" and shifts itself into neutral. Once I come to a stop, I can then put it back into Drive and continue driving. This only happened once then so I let it slide at a quirk. (see picture below of notification)

Fast forward to now. The error code comes up at least 4 times per week, sometimes multiple times in a day. Always happens when I'm coming to a stop. I do notice that the truck seems to shift very hard when accelerating from a full stop or slowing to stop. It's going into the shop on Monday to get this looked at, but has anyone else experienced this? I'm assuming it's a transmission issue.
IMG_2848.jpg

KrustyKush

Reaction score
I have not experienced this on my truck, but I am subscribed to your thread and interested in what the shop finds out.

I have had a handful of assorted other "glitches" apparently software-related, and temporary, show up since the truck was new. I've learned to give the truck some time to sort things out before I get worried.

bigwidge

Reaction score
I have not experienced this on my truck, but I am subscribed to your thread and interested in what the shop finds out.

I have had a handful of assorted other "glitches" apparently software-related, and temporary, show up since the truck was new. I've learned to give the truck some time to sort things out before I get worried.
That's what I figured too, but it's been about 6 months of this happening pretty frequently.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Yes I had this exact thing happen to me in the same exact scenario about 2 or 3 months ago! It has not happened since. I am just under 30k miles. Please let me know what you find out because if its a major issue I want to start that battle with the dealership sooner rather than later.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I have a 2019 Ram four-door with approx. 44k miles. I had it for about 6 months when I got this alert for the first time. I was coming to a stop light, and the truck dings at me, gives me the error code "Shift to P then Desired Gear" and shifts itself into neutral. Once I come to a stop, I can then put it back into Drive and continue driving. This only happened once then so I let it slide at a quirk. (see picture below of notification)

Fast forward to now. The error code comes up at least 4 times per week, sometimes multiple times in a day. Always happens when I'm coming to a stop. I do notice that the truck seems to shift very hard when accelerating from a full stop or slowing to stop. It's going into the shop on Monday to get this looked at, but has anyone else experienced this? I'm assuming it's a transmission issue.
View attachment 100751
Have it shut off at 65 mph with a 6500 lb travel trailer behind you on a road with soft shoulders and say put it in park and restart while NOT throwing any codes...but it has to be stopped to put it in park. My 2015 did it three times on a 2500 mile trip that I cut short simply to limp home on interstates to ensure I had a big wide hard shoulder... I almost bought a truck while on the trip. After three days of unsuccessful diagnostics and the promise of a Stellantis engineering rep coming in a week and they were looking at a super secret database of problems, I now have a 2021 Built to serve in the driveway... AND they still gave me 21K on my 2015 Outdoorsman with 75K on it. KBB said 23 was fair... I got lifetime oil changes (879) and six to seven K more than they offered me 15 sixteen months ago on trade so, I'm good. I paid MSRP, but the trade in value more than made up for the lack of incentives imho. It came close to what I projected for MY price a year or so ago was 35K and I came in about 1500 above but with a lot more stuff than what I was looking at last year.

See what they will offer you on yours or another dealer or three. Some people with your age of vehicle are being offered more than they paid for them. Do the math, see if it works out.

bigwidge

Reaction score
Update #1: I took it to my local dealership and they kept it for a couple of days. I urged them to test drive it and told them that it seems to happen most when I'm at a rolling stop and then resume accelerating (i.e. a red light that just turned green as I approach it). They said they couldn't get the issue notification to appear, but their computer did flag a TCM (Transmission control module) fault. They put a new one in, covered under my powertrain warranty, and sent me on my way. Worked good for the first day, but on day 2 it happened again. So I'll need to call and get my truck back in for a deeper look.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Bought the truck new in June of 2019. First got the error six months later. Didn't happen again for another six months. In the last year, it happens more frequently. First it was once or twice a month. Then, weekly. The last month, it occurs some days four or five times then nothing for a few days. Called the dealer. Live in L.A. Two weeks to get an appointment. Annoyed!!

Side note - I had to replace the battery two months ago. The crappy oem couldn't handle the load. So, I put in a DieHard. So, doubt the issue is the battery. I'll try the fuse/relay fix.

Last edited:

Basen71

Reaction score
I have the same problem, taken it to the dealer here in LA for it twice, once they reflashed the trans computer. That seemed to work for like 6 months, recently started doing it again and took it back, I asked them to do the same because they again couldn’t recreate the issue and it started again before I even got home but the dealer was already closed for the day…

problem only seems to happen when trans is below 100 degrees. Rolling to a stop. I feel a rough shift and it “pop” out of gear then the display to shift to P then desired gear flashes with a few audible beeps and the D is flashing above the shift knob.
My truck shifts hard normally when it’s cold, not sure if that’s related…

any ideas???

Attachments

• DA778D21-39AC-4D14-BED5-DC7E05C95C37.jpeg
    DA778D21-39AC-4D14-BED5-DC7E05C95C37.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 52

F.Po

Reaction score
Have a 19' with 30k miles, happend yesterday 2x. Took to dealer this morning, they kept it and hopefully will have info in a day or two. ASM said it kicked an error code for low voltage. Let's see...

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a crazy theory about this. I've seen this error when I'm in Drive and then open the driver's door...ya know how it slams into park when you do that? I wonder if this is a misaligned or faulty drivers door closure sensor issue and not a transmission issue at all.

Just throwing it out there...

Kicknsnare

Reaction score
Dealership tried the driver door latch replacement with me at my cost of $535 parts and labor. Didn’t change symptoms or frequency, just my account balance. Remember the transmission is not slamming into park but rather slipping into neutral.

Deannaselbow

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

View attachment 100751
i just had this error message for the first time today. Was slowing down to turn into a driveway and the engine did the hard gear shifting mentioned in this thread, then the error message appeared. I have noticed the hard gear shifting previously in the same scenario: slowing down [for a stop sign]. 2020 1500 Big Horn ~36k miles, new purchase from dealer. Purchased the extended 80k (85?) Bumper to bumper warranty, definitely bringing it in to the dealer and will show them this thread.

Nelo718

Reaction score
i just had this error message for the first time today. Was slowing down to turn into a driveway and the engine did the hard gear shifting mentioned in this thread, then the error message appeared. I have noticed the hard gear shifting previously in the same scenario: slowing down [for a stop sign]. 2020 1500 Big Horn ~36k miles, new purchase from dealer. Purchased the extended 80k (85?) Bumper to bumper warranty, definitely bringing it in to the dealer and will show them this thread.
There’s another thread on here with others having the same issue. @RamCares. My truck is at the dealership for the 3rd time. Now it also happens while accelerating not just slowing down. Only way Chrysler will move on this is if everyone takes their truck in instead of ignoring the issue. I have a co worker who is too lazy to take his truck in.

Deannaselbow

Reaction score
There’s another thread on here with others having the same issue. @RamCares. My truck is at the dealership for the 3rd time. Now it also happens while accelerating not just slowing down. Only way Chrysler will move on this is if everyone takes their truck in instead of ignoring the issue. I have a co worker who is too lazy to take his truck in.
Ty for LMK about the other thread, will check out now!
I def will be bringing in to my dealer, will keep y'all posted.

Deannaselbow

Reaction score
Ty for LMK about the other thread, will check out now!
I def will be bringing in to my dealer, will keep y'all posted.
My local dealership said they fixed it with a software update/patch. While I haven't seen the error message again, I still notice/feel the hard gear shifting, mainly at a rolling stop.

Nelo718

Reaction score
The software update made it worse, in my case. It went from slipping out of gear at 5mph or less to at least 15mph. CDJR considers 15mph a “non issue” because it’s occurring at “low speeds”. @RamCares
Really doubt I’ll ever buy a Ram ever again. Should’ve gotten a Tundra

Users who are viewing this thread