5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Shift to P then Desired Gear" Error

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Ty for LMK about the other thread, will check out now!
I def will be bringing in to my dealer, will keep y'all posted.

This is one of the few threads about this issue that @RamCares doesn't give two ****s about. This is going to result in someone getting seriously hurt or worse...

BGhorn2019

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I have a 2019 Ram four-door with approx. 44k miles. I had it for about 6 months when I got this alert for the first time. I was coming to a stop light, and the truck dings at me, gives me the error code "Shift to P then Desired Gear" and shifts itself into neutral. Once I come to a stop, I can then put it back into Drive and continue driving. This only happened once then so I let it slide at a quirk. (see picture below of notification)

Fast forward to now. The error code comes up at least 4 times per week, sometimes multiple times in a day. Always happens when I'm coming to a stop. I do notice that the truck seems to shift very hard when accelerating from a full stop or slowing to stop. It's going into the shop on Monday to get this looked at, but has anyone else experienced this? I'm assuming it's a transmission issue.
View attachment 100751
Having same issue, started today, 2019 ram 1500 big horn , 2 wheel drive. Did they ever find issue?

BGhorn2019

Reaction score
i just had this error message for the first time today. Was slowing down to turn into a driveway and the engine did the hard gear shifting mentioned in this thread, then the error message appeared. I have noticed the hard gear shifting previously in the same scenario: slowing down [for a stop sign]. 2020 1500 Big Horn ~36k miles, new purchase from dealer. Purchased the extended 80k (85?) Bumper to bumper warranty, definitely bringing it in to the dealer and will show them this thread.
I have a 2019, 1400 doing the exact same thing, disnyou ever find out what was wrong? Mine is going in Friday.

BGhorn2019

Reaction score
I have a 2019, 1400 doing the exact same thing, disnyou ever find out what was wrong? Mine is going in Friday.
Sorry 1500

This is one of the few threads about this issue that @RamCares doesn't give two ****s about. This is going to result in someone getting seriously hurt or worse...
Started happening today to my 2019 1500, 2 wheel dr. What other thread? Also did you find out what the problem is? Mine going in Friday!

BGhorn2019

Reaction score
Yes I had this exact thing happen to me in the same exact scenario about 2 or 3 months ago! It has not happened since. I am just under 30k miles. Please let me know what you find out because if its a major issue I want to start that battle with the dealership sooner rather than later.
Hi, same thing happening today to my 2019, did you ever find out what was happening?

Jenmfll

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I have a 2019 Ram four-door with approx. 44k miles. I had it for about 6 months when I got this alert for the first time. I was coming to a stop light, and the truck dings at me, gives me the error code "Shift to P then Desired Gear" and shifts itself into neutral. Once I come to a stop, I can then put it back into Drive and continue driving. This only happened once then so I let it slide at a quirk. (see picture below of notification)

Fast forward to now. The error code comes up at least 4 times per week, sometimes multiple times in a day. Always happens when I'm coming to a stop. I do notice that the truck seems to shift very hard when accelerating from a full stop or slowing to stop. It's going into the shop on Monday to get this looked at, but has anyone else experienced this? I'm assuming it's a transmission issue.
View attachment 100751
Update #1: I took it to my local dealership and they kept it for a couple of days. I urged them to test drive it and told them that it seems to happen most when I'm at a rolling stop and then resume accelerating (i.e. a red light that just turned green as I approach it). They said they couldn't get the issue notification to appear, but their computer did flag a TCM (Transmission control module) fault. They put a new one in, covered under my powertrain warranty, and sent me on my way. Worked good for the first day, but on day 2 it happened again. So I'll need to call and get my truck back in for a deeper look.
Did they ever find the issue? Just took mine to the dealership today and of course they can’t get it to duplicate the message, although they said they have seen this a lot.

I did notice when it down shifts hard, the voltage to my heater fluctuates. I passed the info along to them, but I’m not feeling very optimistic….

PB&Ram

Reaction score
I have a 2019 4x4 1500 with about 36,000 miles. Started doing this a few months ago. Under same scenario. Any updates?

micon1821

Reaction score
Hi, I just joined so my message might not be in the correct area, but here goes. For a few months now, I am also encountering problems with my transmission dropping out of D and going into blinking mode when the leaving out in the morning on a cool /cold day. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie and I am the original owner. This issue usually happens when I turn the corner at low speed leaving my neighborhood or leaving from work in the morning( I work rotating shifts). This is a potentially dangerous, but definitely annoying situation. I don't have to dial back to "Park" like I read that some others do, but when it first happened to me, I was rolling still so I dialed it to "Neutral" and back to D, and the issue went away. While it is a temporary solution, we all know that this is not expected nor desired. I haven't read of a fix. Does Ram monitor this forum or can someone point me to the right place?? I enjoy my truck otherwise. This is my third Ram truck-2002 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad cab-Red-(non-hemi engine-Hemi was introduced two months later-196000 miles, 2015 Black Ram 1500 Crew Cab Lone Star-238000 miles and my 2019 Patriot Blue Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie-currently 113,000+ miles(the new design and 12.5 inch screen, along with improved ride and sound system made me get the 2019 Laramie...all were great trucks, but the only major work I did was replace the cam shaft on the 2002- it was not designed properly, in my opinion-The truck drove like brand new.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Hi, I just joined so my message might not be in the correct area, but here goes. For a few months now, I am also encountering problems with my transmission dropping out of D and going into blinking mode when the leaving out in the morning on a cool /cold day. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie and I am the original owner. This issue usually happens when I turn the corner at low speed leaving my neighborhood or leaving from work in the morning( I work rotating shifts). This is a potentially dangerous, but definitely annoying situation. I don't have to dial back to "Park" like I read that some others do, but when it first happened to me, I was rolling still so I dialed it to "Neutral" and back to D, and the issue went away. While it is a temporary solution, we all know that this is not expected nor desired. I haven't read of a fix. Does Ram monitor this forum or can someone point me to the right place?? I enjoy my truck otherwise. This is my third Ram truck-2002 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad cab-Red-(non-hemi engine-Hemi was introduced two months later-196000 miles, 2015 Black Ram 1500 Crew Cab Lone Star-238000 miles and my 2019 Patriot Blue Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie-currently 113,000+ miles(the new design and 12.5 inch screen, along with improved ride and sound system made me get the 2019 Laramie...all were great trucks, but the only major work I did was replace the cam shaft on the 2002- it was not designed properly, in my opinion-The truck drove like brand new.
There does not appear to be an accepted or acceptable solution to the shift to P problem. It is my opinion that any problem caused by turning the steering wheel more than 90 degrees is potentially a bad electric power steering hydraulic pump.

If it were me I would start by checking every fuse in the truck to make sure it was properly seated. I would then replace the lead acid battery. If that didn't work and this was always associated with a sharp turn then I would replace the steering rack. If that didn't work I'd sell the truck.

Mscdaisy

Reaction score
There does not appear to be an accepted or acceptable solution to the shift to P problem. It is my opinion that any problem caused by turning the steering wheel more than 90 degrees is potentially a bad electric power steering hydraulic pump.

If it were me I would start by checking every fuse in the truck to make sure it was properly seated. I would then replace the lead acid battery. If that didn't work and this was always associated with a sharp turn then I would replace the steering rack. If that didn't work I'd sell the truck.
Feel like I’m a broken record on here but I’m having the same issue. It’s progressively getting worse….started as a one off, very infrequent issue and now happens almost daily. 4th trip to the dealer and they can’t find anything wrong but I have noticed that if I pull off the battery cables, it “fixes” itself for about a week then it starts again.

Picking up at from the dealer and looking at options to replace if this doesn’t get fixed….

Has anyone actually had resolution with this?

229Ready

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Rebel Crew 4x4 with 67,xxx is also experiencing the “Shift to P then Desired Gear” issue. The issue began about 2 years ago at 36k miles. The OE battery died in June 2022 and was replaced with a new OE battery. The Shift to P issue continues with the new battery.

The Shift to P usually happens within 10 minutes of a cold start and before the transmission is fully warmed up. Happens a few times per month. Conditions are usually the same: driving a few miles at 30-40mph and then when coming to a complete stop at stop sign or red light and Shift to P occurs. I’ve also noticed that regardless if the Shift to P issue occurs, when the engine and transmission are not fully warmed up, that when coming to a stop, the engine RPM appears to be slightly higher at idol and the transmission downshifts are rough and cause a slight lurch forward when coming to a complete stop when downshifting.

The truck has MOPAR Vehicle Protection so it’s heading in for dealer service next week.

Attachments

• B53B374F-F54E-43B8-ACB0-E2FF3C8036E9.jpeg
    B53B374F-F54E-43B8-ACB0-E2FF3C8036E9.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 20

bigwidge

Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone an update from my end - the issue is STILL happening. Took it to the dealership a total of 2 times for this issue alone and they didn't do jack. Always "we couldn't recreate your issue". This happened twice yesterday just coming home from work. Straight highway, with the code happening when coming to red lights, typically lights that are red (begin braking) but turn green as I approach. @Basen71 explained it best by saying "Rolling to a stop. I feel a rough shift and it “pop” out of gear then the display to shift to P then desired gear flashes with a few audible beeps and the D is flashing above the shift knob."

@RamCares this issue is going to get me or someone else killed. Try crossing a busy highway when this Error throws and you have to quickly shift to Park then Drive to avoid getting T-Boned by oncoming traffic. Do better.

Oh, and to add to my frustration, apparently my 4WD doesn't work. Actuator or a wire harness, TBD. But that's for another post.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone an update from my end - the issue is STILL happening. Took it to the dealership a total of 2 times for this issue alone and they didn't do jack. Always "we couldn't recreate your issue". This happened twice yesterday just coming home from work. Straight highway, with the code happening when coming to red lights, typically lights that are red (begin braking) but turn green as I approach. @Basen71 explained it best by saying "Rolling to a stop. I feel a rough shift and it “pop” out of gear then the display to shift to P then desired gear flashes with a few audible beeps and the D is flashing above the shift knob."

@RamCares this issue is going to get me or someone else killed. Try crossing a busy highway when this Error throws and you have to quickly shift to Park then Drive to avoid getting T-Boned by oncoming traffic. Do better.

Oh, and to add to my frustration, apparently my 4WD doesn't work. Actuator or a wire harness, TBD. But that's for another post.
Hi there,

We regret to hear about this. We would like the opportunity to assist. Please send us a private message with the date of your most recent appointment, and any additional details.

Lex
Ram Cares

joeygarren

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

View attachment 100751
I am having the same issue except mine was working fine and I did an oil change and put it in to neutral override to get it off the ramps, when I started it back up it was doing the shift to P vehicle not in park error, now it won't drive at all.

Vulpes

Reaction score
Feel like I’m a broken record on here but I’m having the same issue. It’s progressively getting worse….started as a one off, very infrequent issue and now happens almost daily. 4th trip to the dealer and they can’t find anything wrong but I have noticed that if I pull off the battery cables, it “fixes” itself for about a week then it starts again.

Picking up at from the dealer and looking at options to replace if this doesn’t get fixed….

Has anyone actually had resolution with this?
I did. So far so good. It started dropping into neutral, usually shortly after starting to drive it. Someone suggested cleaning the throttle body. Pulled it off and gave it a thorough cleaning, and then the drops into neutral went away, for about a year now and have not returned so far.

I will say that this has fixed it for some folks and not for others. Check all the threads about this on the forum.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am having the same issue except mine was working fine and I did an oil change and put it in to neutral override to get it off the ramps, when I started it back up it was doing the shift to P vehicle not in park error, now it won't drive at all.
Hi Joey,

We are sorry to see you are facing this vehicle concern. Have you reached out to your local Ram dealership at this point? If not, we recommend doing so. If you choose to go that route, we are available via private message for additional support.

Lex
Ram Cares

N7GZN

Reaction score
Reading between the lines on another lengthy 500+ post thread for the same issue, the consensus is that this issue may be software. As mentioned above, some creative forum members have cleaned the throttle body, and ran fuel system cleaner through the engine that have seemed to have helped.
A theory is that carbon build up at the throttle body, or dirty fuel injectors will result in erratic idle or a near engine stall. The controls over-react to the impending engine stall which results in the transmission dropping out of gear.
To reinitialize, one will have to switch from drive to neutral and then back to drive.
Apparently jeeps have this same issue as well..
Seek and ye shall find!
Happy reading.

Rookiesandstars

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

View attachment 100751
My 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 NON e-torque does this, especially when trans is cold. Starting to get annoying and looking for someone who comes up with solution. I have 78000 highway miles and started doing this of course AFTER my warrantee is up. I guess ladies and Gents we need to "warm up" our Trucks before driving off to avoid this until a fix is found. I work For UTI as an auto instructor and NONE of my fellow instructors have seen this. Only on 5th Gen Rams it seems.

Rookiesandstars

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 NON e-torque does this, especially when trans is cold. Starting to get annoying and looking for someone who comes up with solution. I have 78000 highway miles and started doing this of course AFTER my warrantee is up. I guess ladies and Gents we need to "warm up" our Trucks before driving off to avoid this until a fix is found. I work For UTI as an auto instructor and NONE of my fellow instructors have seen this. Only on 5th Gen Rams it seems

Davy van Hirtum

Reaction score
This sounds like a problem with the throttle body.
You can try to clean it, but i would advise replacing it and re-learning the accelerator

Users who are viewing this thread