5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No, I won't consider ZFs recommendation either. I've not changed trans, dif or transfer case fluid in any truck i've owned since the early 1990s even when the manufacture recommend they get changed. I change my oil when the oil indicator says to change it; normally between 8 and 10K. Never had an issue with any of them and I can afford to pay for a problem with the money I've saved over the last two decades not performing this service.

Don't know and don't really care enough to call them. I have no reason to question their price and those who are claiming it's an impossible price are all posting fluid prices that are 2 - 5 times higher than what it can be purchased for. They add the price of the pan and filter, but I don't think the fluid change price includes that as those service are listed separately.

I suspect it's an error on the site, though it honestly doesn't matter.

Whatever works for you, it's your vehicle.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So @DEG posts a claim that a trans service is only $200, then it turns out he didn't get the service done and plans on never servicing his trans....

Got it....

Wasn't my claim. It was what the dealer has posted on their website and I provided a screen shot and the name of the dealer.

Clearly you didn't get it.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wasn't my claim. It was what the dealer has posted on their website and I provided a screen shot and the name of the dealer.

Clearly you didn't get it.

After multiple people posted that wouldn't even cover the cost of fluid, you stood by it.

Nope, can't be an error on their website...

If you're not going to service your trans, you have no dog in this aside from trolling those in this thread...

And about servicing my transmission - I typically don't, as I don't keep a truck long enough to need it...

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After multiple people posted that wouldn't even cover the cost of fluid, you stood by it.

I stood buy it because it was easy able to provide proof they were wrong. You can buy the exact transmission fluid recommended in the manual for around $16 per quart at retail prices. There is no doubt a dealer is paying nowhere near retail prices for the fluids they use. At retail price, it shouldn't take more than about $115 worth of fluid.

I've also never said there can't be a mistake on their website; you just fabricated that nonsense.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
And about servicing my transmission - I typically don't, as I don't keep a truck long enough to need it...

Ironically, I never do either. Most of my vehicles I lease and they are given back around 35-40k usually. I ended up buying my Rebel. As soon as that decision was made, I did the trans.

Like I said, after seeing what the fluid looked like, what was stuck to the magnets, and even the sludge in the pan...fill/no service for life is insane.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I spend a good deal of time in 4WD. A lot of that time is in 4Lo. So, I figured I ought to take care of all of the drivetrain. I beat up on it pretty hard and I never buy a truck without planning on keeping it a long time. Apparently there is a point in time where if you do decide to service your transmission you will kill it. I don't exactly know when that is but I wasn't going to wait til 100K. And I also wasn't going to do a drain and pour. I have money so cost wasn't ever going to be as issue. I don't like getting ripped off mind you, but I won't quibble too much with my wrench because he is reasonable and a good tech. So, if I paid a bit more to get all the work done right with the proper fluids I don't care. When I'm in the back country I have peace of mind.

edgarrian

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I don't believe this exists. PPE makes a billet pan with a removable filter. Dorman, I believe, makes a plastic re-pro with removable filter as well. The problem is, to change the filter, you need to remove the pan anyway. The PPE and I think Dorman as well have the re-usable drain plugs which come in handy because you can drain and fill without dropping the pan but the pan still needs to be dropped to swap the filter. I've also heard the Dorman's are notorious for leaking.

In the end, if you're dropping the pan to remove the filter, you could save a couple bucks over time by going with the removable aftermarket ones but I don't think it makes sense.

Most people will only ever change their trans fluid twice. Once at 60k, again at 120k if they still have the truck. Maybe 180k if they still have it.

ZF's can be really quirky. For example, I use AmsOil in truck for everything except the ZF trans and Borg Warner T-Case.
Thanks for the reply. Ill just stick with what the dealer does then.

I just recently changed my transfer case oil. I used amsoil ATF as that what was reccomended.

mtjag

Reaction score
I went by our local RAM dealer today to get some pricing on front and rear diff fluid change, transfer case fluid change and transmission fluid change. These are the prices quoted today: Front/rear diff fluid change $420, Transfer case fluid change $240, and transmission fluid change $1000. Thankfully, I'm not ready for the transmission fluid change, but with 57000 miles on my 2019 with about 50% towing, I'm going to change the front/rear diff fluids myself using Valvoline 75W90 on the front diff and 75W140 Mopar with friction additive on the rear diff for a total of about $120. My question is about the transfer case fluid. I can't find the BW44 fluid but did find this on Amazon. Is this correct transfer case fluid? https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chry...Warner+44-44+,aps,524&sr=8-21#customerReviews

edgarrian

Reaction score
I thought add that I was able to get my transmission oil and filter changed saturday morning. I went into the service department to drop my keys off and ask a few questions. The cost of the service was 870 dollars. I believe another poster in this thread said 850. So I was happy with the charge. No leaks and it seems to run out good. I have already changed the diffs and and transfer case. Im needing to do my brakes here in the next few days.

edgarrian

Reaction score
I went by our local RAM dealer today to get some pricing on front and rear diff fluid change, transfer case fluid change and transmission fluid change. These are the prices quoted today: Front/rear diff fluid change $420, Transfer case fluid change $240, and transmission fluid change $1000. Thankfully, I'm not ready for the transmission fluid change, but with 57000 miles on my 2019 with about 50% towing, I'm going to change the front/rear diff fluids myself using Valvoline 75W90 on the front diff and 75W140 Mopar with friction additive on the rear diff for a total of about $120. My question is about the transfer case fluid. I can't find the BW44 fluid but did find this on Amazon. Is this correct transfer case fluid? https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chrysler-5016796AC-Lubricant-TRANSFERCASE-Fluid_Ounces/dp/B0CCYHLK2J/ref=sr_1_21?crid=29WEMHN2CY4NF&keywords=borg+warner+44-44+transfer+case+fluid&qid=1707538015&sprefix=Borg+Warner+44-44+,aps,524&sr=8-21#customerReviews
IM not certain but I purchased fluid from amsoil for my transfer case

Users who are viewing this thread