5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I got the front, and rear differentials, the transmission, transfer case, and a full synthetic oil change for $1500. He threw in a tire rotation. Seems like an ok deal. Back out to the desert this weekend.

edgarrian

Reaction score
That is exepensive but the transfer case oil is big $$ as well. I believe there are cheaper options

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
$1500?
Someone did get a good deal but I don't think it was you, LOL.
At least it's all done, and hopefully they filled your transmission correctly and didn't wing it like I expect most of them to do.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sounds extremely high. My dealer lists most vehicle specific fluid change prices on their website.

Oil Change = $89.95
Front Diff Fluid Change = $119.95
Rear Diff Fluid Change = $119.95
Transmission Fluid Change = $199.95 (a transmission flush with the change adds about $25)

Couldn't find a listed price for transfer case fluid change but I can't imagine it could possibly cost $1000.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just did both diffs, transfer case, and oil myself at 50k miles. $200 or so. Only thing missing is transmission, but I agree that $1500 seems like it's about $800 too much with labor thrown in. When they have it up in the air the diffs and transfer case take about 10 minutes total.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sounds extremely high. My dealer lists most vehicle specific fluid change prices on their website.

Oil Change = $89.95
Front Diff Fluid Change = $119.95
Rear Diff Fluid Change = $119.95
Transmission Fluid Change = $199.95 (a transmission flush with the change adds about $25)

Couldn't find a listed price for transfer case fluid change but I can't imagine it could possibly cost $1000.
The RAM transmission change is definitely not $200. The fluid alone costs that much or more. If they're charging $200 please tell me so I can get it done!!

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The RAM transmission change is definitely not $200. The fluid alone costs that much or more. If they're charging $200 please tell me so I can get it done!!

Taylor Dodge in Belleville Illinois.

Go to the schedule service page online and enter your vin number and they will give you the cost specific to your vehicle.

Trans Fluid Change.jpg

You can buy 9 quarts of the recommended Mopar 8&9 Speed transmission fluid on Amazon for less than $130 and I'm sure the dealer cost is much lower.

edgarrian

Reaction score
I just did both diffs, transfer case, and oil myself at 50k miles. $200 or so. Only thing missing is transmission, but I agree that $1500 seems like it's about $800 too much with labor thrown in. When they have it up in the air the diffs and transfer case take about 10 minutes total.
What oil did you use for the transfer case and diffs?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Taylor Dodge in Belleville Illinois.

Go to the schedule service page online and enter your vin number and they will give you the cost specific to your vehicle.

View attachment 175361

You can buy 9 quarts of the recommended Mopar 8&9 Speed transmission fluid on Amazon for less than $130 and I'm sure the dealer cost is much lower.
I can guarantee you it's not $200. It's around $800+. It's not a simple drain and drop and refill. Also as you know dealerships upcharge. Call them and have them actually look it up and let me know. I've been thru this with my Grand Cherokee, same process as RAM. I called, she gave a price. I told her to double check and she apologized when she called me back to tell me the REAL price.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can guarantee you it's not $200. It's around $800+. It's not a simple drain and drop and refill. Also as you know dealerships upcharge. Call them and have them actually look it up and let me know. I've been thru this with my Grand Cherokee, same process as RAM. I called, she gave a price. I told her to double check and she apologized when she called me back to tell me the REAL price.

The price I posted was directly from the dealer's website and related specifically to my vehicle. I have absolutely no interested in calling them to verify. $800 is an insane price. The 9 quarts of fluid cost the dealer less than $130 the filter and gasket runs about another $120. It should not involve more than an hours worth of labor.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The price I posted was directly from the dealer's website and related specifically to my vehicle. I have absolutely no interested in calling them to verify. $800 is an insane price. The 9 quarts of fluid cost the dealer less than $130 the filter and gasket runs about another $120. It should not involve more than an hours worth of labor.
You obviously have never researched the process. Do yourself a favor and do it!!

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is exepensive but the transfer case oil is big $$ as well. I believe there are cheaper options

Transfer case holds less than $20 worth of recommended transfer case oil and should take about 15 minutes to change.

Ram recommends Mobil Fluid LT for the transfer case with 4 wheel auto and Shell Spirax S2 ATF A389 for the transfer case without 4 wheel auto. Either fluid can be purchased in bulk for less than $8 per quart retail and I'm sure the dealer is getting it cheaper than that.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You obviously have never researched the process. Do yourself a favor and do it!!

Nonsense. I provided more research than you did. Again, I have absolutely no need to research any further and it would be doing me no favor whatsoever.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nonsense. I provided more research than you did. Again, I have absolutely no need to research any further and it would be doing me no favor whatsoever.
It's Ok if you don't want to be proven wrong. The fact that you think they're only charging $70 labor when they charge $150+ hourly labor should tell you something!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Have a good day!

Last edited:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's Ok if you don't want to be proven wrong. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Have a good day!

Your claim that 1 dealer quoted you and outrageous price proves nothing. $800 is an insane price for service that involves, at most, $250 in materials and less than 1 hour labor. I know some dealers often charge insane prices but not all of them do.

Often dealer fluid change prices are dependent upon the volume of work they do. Small low volume dealers may not by fluids in bulk where high volume dealers will. For example if the dealer can't justify a $1500 55 gallon drum of Shell Spirax S2 ATF A389 that might take them years to use in transfer cases without 4 wheel auto they may end up paying nearly $100 per quart for the oil. However, it's less than $8 per quart if they buy it by the 55 gallon drum. HUGE difference.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I can tell you that ZF8 transmission services are usually around $550 on the cheaper side when done at a dealership, the kit alone, which is the drain pan integrated filter is usually around $150 by itself, not including the fluids. The $200 is probably a typo or not setup right on the website, because that price is realistically the parts and fluid price wholesale, not including labor.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can tell you that ZF8 transmission services are usually around $550 on the cheaper side when done at a dealership, the kit alone, which is the drain pan integrated filter is usually around $150 by itself, not including the fluids. The $200 is probably a typo or not setup right on the website, because that price is realistically the parts and fluid price wholesale, not including labor.
Thank You! 😁(y)

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What oil did you use for the transfer case and diffs?
For you and to clear up the cost of the transfer case fluid, I used AMSOIL for all of it. Mobil 1 synthetic for oil and filter, but that's my normal brand. Transfer case could have been cheaper, but I bought the squeeze packs since it goes from a 30 minute job to a 5 minute job. More like $100 for everything instead of the original 200. I hadn't looked up the order when I said that number.

80W-90 Synthetic Gear for front diff - $10
75W-140 Severe Gear for rear diff - $15
OE Multi Vehicle Synthetic ATF for transfer case - $35

Just spent a week switching back and forth between 2WD and 4Hi while on ice/snow in Memphis. Several long drives at 30-60mph in 4Hi as well as a lot of switching back and forth at speeds below 40mph. No clunking, switching issues, etc.

Last edited:

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The trans was with the pan/filter. So several hundred more than a drain and pour.

Users who are viewing this thread