5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because all the internet social media arguments against the posted price seem to rely on false information like $27 dollar per quart transmission fluid when that fluid can be purchased for less than $8 per quart.
Thank you for the continued cheap entertainment!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I just want to know, will you post a picture of your receipt from dealership when you are proven wrong? :unsure: 😁

Last edited:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's not the correct fluid and its a 55 gallon drum. I believe the Spirax is what they use in the Borg Warner T-cases.

Ravenol is the manufacturer of the ZF fluid, based on my research. I could be wrong. There is no easy way around this.

Yea, that $8 per quart fluid was for the transfer case claimed by an autoshop owner to cost $45 per quart. I used the wrong link. I'm pretty sure this is the correct transmission fluid and it is much lower than the $27 claimed. I previously found it much cheaper than $16 per quart when sold in 5 gallon buckets but can't find the source now.

Mopar dealers that work on Mopar vehicles will not purchase required fluids by the quart; they purchase in bulk.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the continued cheap entertainment!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I just want to know, will you post a picture of your receipt from dealership when you are proven wrong? :unsure: 😁

It seems ad hominem attacks are all the logic you can muster.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The service I referenced did not include the pan/filter or a flush.

Interesting, because the basic service is just a pan drop/filter change and fluid fill. It isn't a flush.

The $200 service involves what? Did you check with the service advisor what that service entails? Is it just sucking out the old fluid though the fill hole and filing what they took without changing the filter?

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Yea, that $8 per quart fluid was for the transfer case claimed by an autoshop owner to cost $45 per quart. I used the wrong link. I'm pretty sure this is the correct transmission fluid and it is much lower than the $27 claimed. I previously found it much cheaper than $16 per quart when sold in 5 gallon buckets but can't find the source now.

Mopar dealers that work on Mopar vehicles will not purchase required fluids by the quart; they purchase in bulk.

Well the "Mopar Borg Warner" fluid is in fact $45 a quart. It used to be cheaper. The Spirax you shared is in-fact, the t-case fluid for one of them. I cannot remember whether its the AWD/auto t-case or the selectable 4WD t-case. Mopar does list that as the equivalent. But as you said, they don't sell it in anything less than a 55 gallon drum it seems. Hence, why most guys are stuck paying $45 a quart for trucks still under warranty.

The ZF fluid, yes, I bought mine off Amazon for that price and mentioned it in my ZF fluid change post. The ZF, Mopar, or Ravenol are about the same price. ZF intentionally dyes it green for warranty reasons. If you run into a warranty issue with a trans and the fluid they drain from it isn't green, you might be SOL. ZF stuff is also very finicky.
Dealer does mark the cost of this up. Same with the pan/filter. Mopar on Amazon sells them for $275 and they are over $300 at the dealer.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Interesting, because the basic service is just a pan drop/filter change and fluid fill. It isn't a flush.

The $200 service involves what? Did you check with the service advisor what that service entails? Is it just sucking out the old fluid though the fill hole and filing what they took without changing the filter?

I'd like to know this as well too being the drain plugs on the ZF trans pans are not supposed to be reusable.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The basic service listed in the owners manual is to do nothing for the life of the vehicle and that's exactly what I plan to do.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
The basic service listed in the owners manual is to do nothing for the life of the vehicle and that's exactly what I plan to do.

You can. But conveniently most warranties only go up to 100k in miles. So if you believe it's fill and run for life? Go for it. A new 8HP is like $5k for the trans alone.

I can tell you what came out of mine at 60k along with what was stuck to the magnets in the pan makes me think otherwise.

Furthermore, every other manufacturer with a similar iteration of the trans in our trucks states pan/filter/fluid at 50-60k miles and then thereafter at that interval.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if you believe it's fill and run for life? Go for it.
I absolutely will and that's exactly what I have done for the half dozen or so vehicles I've owned in the last 2 decades. I put more than 180K on a few of them.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I absolutely will and that's exactly what I have done for the half dozen or so vehicles I've owned in the last 2 decades. I put more than 180K on a few of them.

The only trans I've ever personally seen last more than 150k was in my father's 2006 Ram 2500 with the cummins. Hardly any towing, AmSoil used from 20k in miles on, heat-sink billet pan with drain and fill at regular intervals. I believe it went out at 200k. Trans shop was blown away by the fact he got that much out of it.

You're very argumentative and misleading. I'd love to ask for proof that you're routinely getting 180k out of your trans without any maintenance but there is none. I am calling BS on my end but that's worth about the same as your argument.

The problem is you're misleading people, as is Mopar, stating it's fill and run for life.

I have four ZF transmissions, currently. One on my Rebel, one on my wife's JGC-L, and two in my boat that are behind CAT C-9 ACERT's at 565hp a pop. F around with ZF transmissions by using the wrong fluid, under/over filling, and/or not maintaining them and you'll find out quicker than most it's not fun.

harcam

Reaction score
If you actually own an auto repair shop you should know the recommended ATF can be purchased for less than $8 per quart.
I actually do,who lies about that ?
To answer you then im done because i know im correct. The Mopar fluid is #68218925ab. Trade name Mopar ZF 8/9 Its a ZF 8spd. You probably can get away with a ZF Lifeguard 8. The cheapest one is a Pentosin 8 but its still $20 a qt and i dont think i would trust it. Google it. When you find it for $8 please post the site so i can buy it. Until then stop being stubborn.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
To answer you then im done because i know im correct. The Mopar fluid is #68218925ab. Trade name Mopar ZF 8/9 Its a ZF 8spd. You probably can get away with a ZF Lifeguard 8. The cheapest one is a Pentosin 8 but its still $20 a qt and i dont think i would trust it. Google it. When you find it for $8 please post the site so i can buy it. Until then stop being stubborn.

And in the next breath he tells you he's never going to service his trans.

I had heard about the Pentosin. I figured for 6 qts for $100 on Amazon of the ZF/Mopar stuff it just made sense to go that route.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're very argumentative and misleading. I'd love to ask for proof that you're routinely getting 180k out of your trans without any maintenance but there is none. I am calling BS on my end but that's worth about the same as your argument.

LOL. You fabricate what I say then call me a liar and pretend like I'm the one being argumentative and misleading. Priceless.

I never said I'm "routinely getting 180K"; that's your fabrication. I said a few of the half or dozen or so vehicles I've owned in the last 2 decades had more than 180K on them when I got rid of them. As a matter of fact it was exactly 2 vehicles none of the half dozen, or so, ever had transmission issues or fluid changes. I don't really care if you believe me or not and I don't care if you ignore what Ram says about fluid change frequency.

I spend my money on maintenance and modifications that meet my needs. I don't spend a single dime meeting the needs of the next owner of my vehicles. If I end up with a transmission going out at 150 or 200k, I will replace it with a used transmission and sell the truck. No way would I spend $5000 on a NEW transmission for an old high milage truck. I've seen used one's that would work in my truck for around $800. I've probably saved that much by not changing my transmission fluid over the last 20 years or so.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Gotcha. I mean that's your right and what probably the majority of owners do, yet you won't consider ZFs recommendation on that transmission instead?

Though I'm still wondering what that $200 Dealer quote fee is about?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know who lies about that, but I was previously mocked for believing what I read on the internet and the owner's manual. When someone who should be able to purchase fluids at bulk wholesale process say they are paying extremely high retail prices for fluids I tend to question that.

I mentioned in a later post that I posted the wrong link. The correct transmission fluid is around $16 per quart on Amazon. Still a far cry from the price you quoted.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I spend my money on maintenance and modifications that meet my needs. I don't spend a single dime meeting the needs of the next owner of my vehicles. If I end up with a transmission going out at 150 or 200k, I will replace it with a used transmission and sell the truck. No way would I spend $5000 on a NEW transmission for an old high milage truck. I've seen used one's that would work in my truck for around $800. I've probably saved that much by not changing my transmission fluid over the last 20 years or so.

Re-quoted this gem of a post just so it's memorialized. Good day sir. There is nothing more I need to say here other than quote your post.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha. I mean that's your right and what probably the majority of owners do, yet you won't consider ZFs recommendation on that transmission instead?

No, I won't consider ZFs recommendation either. I've not changed trans, dif or transfer case fluid in any truck i've owned since the early 1990s even when the manufacture recommend they get changed. I change my oil when the oil indicator says to change it; normally between 8 and 10K. Never had an issue with any of them and I can afford to pay for a problem with the money I've saved over the last two decades not performing this service.

Though I'm still wondering what that $200 Dealer quote fee is about?

Don't know and don't really care enough to call them. I have no reason to question their price and those who are claiming it's an impossible price are all posting fluid prices that are 2 - 5 times higher than what it can be purchased for. They add the price of the pan and filter, but I don't think the fluid change price includes that as those service are listed separately.

Users who are viewing this thread