5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service

edgarrian

Reaction score
For you and to clear up the cost of the transfer case fluid, I used AMSOIL for all of it. Mobil 1 synthetic for oil and filter, but that's my normal brand. Transfer case could have been cheaper, but I bought the squeeze packs since it goes from a 30 minute job to a 5 minute job. More like $100 for everything instead of the original 200. I hadn't looked up the order when I said that number.

80W-90 Synthetic Gear for front diff - $10
75W-140 Severe Gear for rear diff - $15
OE Multi Vehicle Synthetic ATF for transfer case - $35

Just spent a week switching back and forth between 2WD and 4Hi while on ice/snow in Memphis. Several long drives at 30-60mph in 4Hi as well as a lot of switching back and forth at speeds below 40mph. No clunking, switching issues, etc.
The squeeze bags are a game changer

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious what type of intervals are you guys going with for both the differentials and trans fluid service. Im sure Ram thinks the ZF trans fluid should last forever or at least till 100k but let’s be realistic lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The PPE aluminum pan which cost about the same as the Mopar pan and the zf fluid costs me about $600 to do it myself. The dealer wanted $1200
Damn, you mean the $200 quoted from someone else is wrong?! *GASP :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious what type of intervals are you guys going with for both the differentials and trans fluid service. Im sure Ram thinks the ZF trans fluid should last forever or at least till 100k but let’s be realistic lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
60k is usually the interval we recommend for all platforms regardless of make and model (other than Honda CVTs... those we recommend at 30k because we've seen too many Honda CVT go to heaven following the book's recommended interval)
If you offroad a lot/ hard or you tow, you'd want to do it earlier than 60k. For mine I'll probably do it at around 40-50k just because my truck plays a lot off pavement compared to what the factory standard.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
60k is usually the interval we recommend for all platforms regardless of make and model (other than Honda CVTs... those we recommend at 30k because we've seen too many Honda CVT go to heaven following the book's recommended interval)
If you offroad a lot/ hard or you tow, you'd want to do it earlier than 60k. For mine I'll probably do it at around 40-50k just because my truck plays a lot off pavement compared to what the factory standard.
Yep. I did this at 53K.

edgarrian

Reaction score
I changed my transfer case oil today. It was pretty dark when I drained it. Truck has 70k on it. I rarely pull a trailer and use the 4 wheel drive ever so often as im a heavy equipment operator. Sometimes our parking area is muddy. I was gonna change the rear diff. but I didnt have the right tools to remove the plugs. I ordered on amazon and will do it this weekend. I tried calling my local to me dodge dealer to get a price on transmission fluid and filter change but they never picked up. Ill try them tomorrow. Oddly they dont have a great online presents to look it up

edgarrian

Reaction score
thought I would share how much the dealer here in crawfordsville indiana will charge for a transmission oil and filter swap. 750 to 800. It was kind of a funny conversation. The guy said its not warranted on my truck. I said that maybe so by your standards but the manufacturer of the transmission says otherwise. I may just do this myself. How many have gotten the pan where you can change filter without pulling the pan? and how do you like it

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
That's on-par with what you'll see for the transmission. I've done it myself. The pan/filter on it's own is $275 or so. Then the fluid is $26 a qt last I checked.

For what they did, it's not a terrible deal. Especially if they did the trans too.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
thought I would share how much the dealer here in crawfordsville indiana will charge for a transmission oil and filter swap. 750 to 800. It was kind of a funny conversation. The guy said its not warranted on my truck. I said that maybe so by your standards but the manufacturer of the transmission says otherwise. I may just do this myself. How many have gotten the pan where you can change filter without pulling the pan? and how do you like it

See my post:

harcam

Reaction score
Oil Change = $89.95
Front Diff Fluid Change = $119.95
Rear Diff Fluid Change = $119.95
Transmission Fluid Change = $199.95 (a transmission flush with the change adds about $25)
If you got a $199 trans service i believe you might want to recheck the work.I own a auto repair shop. The Correct ATF costs $27 per qt @ 6-7 needed. The correct transfer case fluid is $45 per qt @ 1.8 qts. The filter alone is about $300 it is 1 piece with the pan.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
How many have gotten the pan where you can change filter without pulling the pan? and how do you like it

I could be wrong, but I don't believe this exists. PPE makes a billet pan with a removable filter. Dorman, I believe, makes a plastic re-pro with removable filter as well. The problem is, to change the filter, you need to remove the pan anyway. The PPE and I think Dorman as well have the re-usable drain plugs which come in handy because you can drain and fill without dropping the pan but the pan still needs to be dropped to swap the filter. I've also heard the Dorman's are notorious for leaking.

In the end, if you're dropping the pan to remove the filter, you could save a couple bucks over time by going with the removable aftermarket ones but I don't think it makes sense.

Most people will only ever change their trans fluid twice. Once at 60k, again at 120k if they still have the truck. Maybe 180k if they still have it.

ZF's can be really quirky. For example, I use AmsOil in truck for everything except the ZF trans and Borg Warner T-Case.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you got a $199 trans service i believe you might want to recheck the work.I own a auto repair shop. The Correct ATF costs $27 per qt @ 6-7 needed. The correct transfer case fluid is $45 per qt @ 1.8 qts. The filter alone is about $300 it is 1 piece with the pan.
The internet told him, so it must be right and he doesn't want to believe otherwise since the internet told him :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If you actually own an auto repair shop you should know the recommended ATF can be purchased for less than $8 per quart.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
If you actually own an auto repair shop you should know the recommended ATF can be purchased for less than $8 per quart.

That's not the correct fluid and its a 55 gallon drum. I believe the Spirax is what they use in the Borg Warner T-cases.

Ravenol is the manufacturer of the ZF fluid, based on my research. I could be wrong. There is no easy way around this.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The internet told him, so it must be right and he doesn't want to believe otherwise since the internet told him :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Because all the internet social media arguments against the posted price seem to rely on false information like $27 dollar per quart transmission fluid when that fluid can be purchased for less than $8 per quart.

Users who are viewing this thread