5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service Electronic Throttle Control Warning

MrEricHiggins

Reaction score
I just had this same exact issue on my 2021 1500. Service Electronic Throttle Control light came on. Dealer stated that communication was lost to the TRSCM. They replaced the TRSCM and still had the issue. Their diagnostic chart also noted that the backup camera failed and they ordered a new one to put in. When attempting to install the new camera, they found the wire was not firmly secured/clipped into the socket and it became disconnected but was still sitting in the socket. Technician reconnected the camera and all codes cleared and light turned off. Technician thinks that the camera wiring was never fully clipped in and eventually wiggled around enough to lose connection from every day use and hitting bumps. My truck is only 6 months old so it’s a possibility. Maybe this will help someone in the future rather than waiting a week and a half for the dealer to figure it out. Luckily I got a rental.

Last edited:

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not saying this will solve everyone's issue, but it's easy to do and free and may be the cause and fix for someone or no one. But when I first bought my 2019 in Dec 2019 I found this forum and someone mentioned for newly purchased trucks to open the fuse box under the hood and press down every single thing you see with a good amount of pressure to be certain ALL your fuses and relays were in full contact and that you would be surprised at how many would actually move and to what degree they would move....they were right, MOST of mine were just barely in...I hope this helps.

Mopar-Rock

Reaction score
Same problem, does anyone have a solution? I have Pulsar installed, maybe this is the reason for the error?
Just got into my truck and have the same issue with electronic throttle control I also have a pulsar installed did you ever find a fix?

Georgf

Reaction score
Just got into my truck and have the same issue with electronic throttle control I also have a pulsar installed did you ever find a fix?
I just disconnect and reconnect battery for 15 min and all works well again. I got this error twice in 1,5 years i have the Pulsar installed. Maybe this issue was resolved in Pulsar update, but i have no cable to update it.

Mopar-Rock

Reaction score
I just disconnect and reconnect battery for 15 min and all works well again. I got this error twice in 1,5 years i have the Pulsar installed. Maybe this issue was resolved in Pulsar update, but i have no cable to update it.
Awesome thanks. Just drove to work and ETC and check engine lights are out. Thanks a lot for your fast reply my friend.

Mopar-Rock

Reaction score
Update to my ETC problem... someone mentioned early in the forum about the fuse box. My error code showed up again so I went to the fuse box only to find 80% of the fuses were not seated properly. Damn you ram! Error codes cleared again on the dash let's see what happens

stm-ram

Reaction score
Just had the same issue come to light yetserday. 2021 with 13K miles. Error code for the electronic throttle, no rear camera, no rear sensors, and remote start doesn't work.

robgreen

Reaction score
Well Just got the service electronic throttle control alert, no backup camera. Have a 2021 1500 Bighorn Etorque with the V6. Only have 2000 miles. Found this site and saw the "fuse fix". Cool i thought! Well...doggone it if I dont see a #53 fuse... unless the bugger jumped out? As a matter of fact it appears the fuse box is pretty sparse. WTH? Oh well...guess its off to the dealer next week. EDIT: DOH! I have so much crap going on and now this happens...my head wasn't thinking. Forgot about the interior fuses! And at first I was like why the hell did they hide the damn things way up in there hard to access? But found it was relatively easy to get to - just unscrew the the bottom screws and the panel under the steering column pops off (has clips). What I found was almost all of my fuses were "loose" in their sockets. Crazy! Pushed them all back in. Then pulled the #53 fuse out and reseated it in. Started truck back up....Problems gone! Wait and see....

Last edited:

MaxG

Reaction score
2021 1500 Laramie with about 5000 miles on it, yesterday had the same issue happen: out of nowhere I got the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" alert and the backup camera gave me the blue screen of death instead of an image. Also found that almost all the fuses in the interior fuse box were not fully pushed in. I pushed them all in (including #53), but when I restarted the truck, I had the same two issues. So then I disconnected the battery for about a minute and reconnected. Then when I restarted, both problems were gone (no more ETC alert and camera is working fine). So, I really can't say what exactly solved the problem. Maybe if I had just disconnected the battery that would have fixed it. But now I noticed something strange: On the "Controls" screen, the backup camera button is missing. It used to be there and I could press it (even while driving forward) and it would display the backup camera video for several seconds. So that button is gone (it used to be right below the Mirror Dimmer button). Also, I noticed that on the climate control screen, the preferred temperature is not displayed as a number - it just says LO. And if I turn the temp knobs up, it changes to HI. But it used to actually show a Temp. Maybe something in the software got reset? Anyone know how I can get the backup camera button back and get the climate screen to show numerical temps?

I just joined this forum and I have to say that the posts in this thread were very helpful and I would have never figured this out on my own. So glad I didn't have to bring to a dealer (well, for now... keeping my fingers crossed this issue doesn't pop up again - if it does, then to the dealer). So, thanks so much to those that shared their solutions to this problem!

Rukus7665

Reaction score
No worries, thank you. Yeah less than 7,800 miles. So it’s been in the shop over a month, luckily engine got there faster than they had said, but are now taking forever to repair. I have been calling them daily and they keep extending it another day. Now they are telling me no later than Tuesday of this week
Same happened to me, took 3 months almost to the day for dealership to replace my engine. The part of the block that holds the housing for all the belts & stuff broke. After getting the truck back, none of the cables were in their harnesses, radiator hose was just hanging and they broke 2 of the O2 sensors. Got it home (400+ miles) & took it to MY dealership who fixed everything (including the 0 coolant in my system & wrong oil pan bolts) real great on a new engine, huh? (only took another $3400)

Parios

Reaction score
Just FYI, I have a 2019 Big Horn with Cummins 6.7 and it set the ETC code and would not start up. After pushing in all the fuses on truck I could find, I simply put my battery charger/jumper and jumped the truck and it started right up. I then cleared all codes with my OBD 2 device and so far I’m gtg. I replaced both batteries as they were over 4 years old, living in AZ desert 🌵 is hard on batteries.

m.hamner

Reaction score
Just FYI, I have a 2019 Big Horn with Cummins 6.7 and it set the ETC code and would not start up. After pushing in all the fuses on truck I could find, I simply put my battery charger/jumper and jumped the truck and it started right up. I then cleared all codes with my OBD 2 device and so far I’m gtg. I replaced both batteries as they were over 4 years old, living in AZ desert 🌵 is hard on batteries.
I just had the same issue. Did you find any fuses loose?

m.hamner

Reaction score
Hey, did you have any more issues since pushing in the fuses?
Well Just got the service electronic throttle control alert, no backup camera. Have a 2021 1500 Bighorn Etorque with the V6. Only have 2000 miles. Found this site and saw the "fuse fix". Cool i thought! Well...doggone it if I dont see a #53 fuse... unless the bugger jumped out? As a matter of fact it appears the fuse box is pretty sparse. WTH? Oh well...guess its off to the dealer next week. EDIT: DOH! I have so much crap going on and now this happens...my head wasn't thinking. Forgot about the interior fuses! And at first I was like why the hell did they hide the damn things way up in there hard to access? But found it was relatively easy to get to - just unscrew the the bottom screws and the panel under the steering column pops off (has clips). What I found was almost all of my fuses were "loose" in their sockets. Crazy! Pushed them all back in. Then pulled the #53 fuse out and reseated it in. Started truck back up....Problems gone! Wait and see....

vegaskeith

Reaction score
I have a RAM 1500 Diesel Limited. Got the service the throttle sensor alert and check engine light on I-15 100 miles from Las Vegas, while towing! At this point O only have 1/3 throttle, no matter if I held pedal to floor. Limped at 28 MPH to the rest stop. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Upon start up throttle light out, engine OK, but taking it to dealer today. Check engine light still on. I use this daily for my business, hope it is minor.

m.hamner

Reaction score
I have a RAM 1500 Diesel Limited. Got the service the throttle sensor alert and check engine light on I-15 100 miles from Las Vegas, while towing! At this point O only have 1/3 throttle, no matter if I held pedal to floor. Limped at 28 MPH to the rest stop. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Upon start up throttle light out, engine OK, but taking it to dealer today. Check engine light still on. I use this daily for my business, hope it is minor.
Keep us updated!

vegaskeith

Reaction score
Dealer checked it out, showed a number of codes. It appears the turbo was signaling it was near distress, best I can describe it, ay 97 degrees and a 6,500 load up a huge hill. Perhaps. They told me to stop the truck if it occurs again ,turn ignition off like I did, wait a short time and it will auto reset. And as I noted, it did ,but this should not occur. Time will tell.

m.hamner

Reaction score
Interesting! My ESB and throttle, along with airbags and ABS were giving my dealer codes last week and a CEL. Couldn't find anything wrong with the vehicle, so they reset the codes and I haven't had any issues since. At the time it only had 1400 miles on the truck. ugh. Not a great feeling.

henrypretz

Reaction score
I had this same scenario for the second time this past weekend. First time was in July 2021 at about 10,000 miles. Towing 5K travel trailer on a brutally hot day. Service electronic throttle message followed by loss of power. It lurched, then power returned to normal. Check engine light stayed on. Took to dealer and they said they flashed the computer and all was fine. I was skeptical.
Was towing again last weekend up the long grade I-80 to Truckee. Now 22K miles on truck. Towing 7K camping trailer. Service ETC message followed by loss of power. Made it to rest area and shut it off. Stressed out for about 20 minutes, then started and drove fine. Check engine light was on. All operating temps were normal and steady. Next morning started and ran perfectly with no more check engine light. Drove home (275 miles) towing with no issues. I have an appointment in July (I'm out of town for a few weeks) and will see what dealer (different dealer than first time) says.

m.hamner

Reaction score
I had this same scenario for the second time this past weekend. First time was in July 2021 at about 10,000 miles. Towing 5K travel trailer on a brutally hot day. Service electronic throttle message followed by loss of power. It lurched, then power returned to normal. Check engine light stayed on. Took to dealer and they said they flashed the computer and all was fine. I was skeptical.
Was towing again last weekend up the long grade I-80 to Truckee. Now 22K miles on truck. Towing 7K camping trailer. Service ETC message followed by loss of power. Made it to rest area and shut it off. Stressed out for about 20 minutes, then started and drove fine. Check engine light was on. All operating temps were normal and steady. Next morning started and ran perfectly with no more check engine light. Drove home (275 miles) towing with no issues. I have an appointment in July (I'm out of town for a few weeks) and will see what dealer (different dealer than first time) says.
Jesus. Let us know what the dealer says. That's no peace of mind by any means.

Users who are viewing this thread