5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sensitive parking sensors

campwilson

Reaction score
Hey, so is anyone else’s rear parking sensors ultra sensitive, to the point of picking up things that aren’t there and the truck slamming the brakes? My truck has done is for shrubs, which is actually something. But my truck has also done it backing out of a friends driveway that is a minor incline and thinks the street is an object and smashes the brakes. Is it just me, or do others find themselves turning off certain parking sensors in seemingly ridiculous situations?
how do i shut off the sensors and rear braking?

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
how do i shut off the sensors and rear braking?

In the head unit settings. Safety (something) in the braking section there is a check box for automatic braking

It is all or nothing for the auto brake (front & rear)

campwilson

Reaction score
In the head unit settings. Safety (something) in the braking section there is a check box for automatic braking

It is all or nothing for the auto brake (front & rear)
ok, i was able to shut off the brake assist, but not the sensors only can choose low med or high, am i missing something here?

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
ok, i was able to shut off the brake assist, but not the sensors only can choose low med or high, am i missing something here?

I don't remember that part. I have buttons on the dash, just above the console for the sensors.

I use the sensors without braking to help with distance when parking

Cortesio

Reaction score
I have this happen from time to time. If I'm backing up a bit too quickly it almost always activates and slams the brakes. When slowly backing up, it just randomly happens every so often. I back into my driveway when I get home so it's a very frustrating cap to the day when I can't make it into my driveway. I'm going to the dealer Tuesday for an oil change so I'll see if they can apply the TSB fix. We'll see if that makes a difference or not.

MoparGuy

Reaction score
My parking sensors have intervened only once, doing a hard brake when backing up for no reason.

I am contemplating turning off the auto braking, but of course leaving the sensors still on. The sensors themselves have been very good to me in tight parking scenarios.
My brakes only locked up once backing up but I’m certain that was only because I was going faster then I should’ve been. My assumption is the sensors are more sensitive at higher speeds and any object in the sight line becomes a potential target. Since I slowed down while backing up, it’s never been an issue.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have this happen from time to time. If I'm backing up a bit too quickly it almost always activates and slams the brakes. When slowly backing up, it just randomly happens every so often. I back into my driveway when I get home so it's a very frustrating cap to the day when I can't make it into my driveway. I'm going to the dealer Tuesday for an oil change so I'll see if they can apply the TSB fix. We'll see if that makes a difference or not.
Hi Cortesio, We sincerely regret to hear of your trouble. I'm glad to hear that you are working with your dealer on this. Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we are just a PM away.
Rob
RamCares

JAram20

Reaction score
Had this happen to me for first time yesterday. Using mirrors and camera, nothing within at least 10 feet, truck slammed brakes on. Took me by surprise and wife almost punched me for hitting something. Luckily I remembered this post and mentioned to wife what had happened. Yes, I turned the auto brake selection OFF as soon as I got home. Hope it doesn't happen again.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey, so is anyone else’s rear parking sensors ultra sensitive, to the point of picking up things that aren’t there and the truck slamming the brakes? My truck has done is for shrubs, which is actually something. But my truck has also done it backing out of a friends driveway that is a minor incline and thinks the street is an object and smashes the brakes. Is it just me, or do others find themselves turning off certain parking sensors in seemingly ridiculous situations?

First three times my truck did this to me, it scared the P*** out of me. Thought I'd hit a wall or another vehicle. Dear Lord, that's just terrible. It shouldn't slam the brakes, flash lights, AND ding at you all at once. Good recipe for cardiac arrest.

Mikemarshallau

Reaction score

Good luck
If you could please let me know if you get anything in terms of a deal fix

15 months ownership 11 trips to the dealerships and still an issue (amongst a few others all ongoing)

Only ‘fix’ I have been suggested is to turn it off
Don’t know how that helps me with a system that I bought as another safety layer to avoid running kids over or hitting things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cortesio

Reaction score
Good luck

15 months ownership 11 trips to the dealerships and still an issue (amongst a few others all ongoing)

Don’t know how that helps me with a system that I bought as another safety layer to avoid running kids over or hitting things

It’s hard to say if it’s better. It happens so intermittently to begin with. I can say it seems to happen less, but it’s still got me a couple times.

Mikemarshallau

Reaction score
It’s hard to say if it’s better. It happens so intermittently to begin with. I can say it seems to happen less, but it’s still got me a couple times.

Do you have any details of what they did
So I can see if it has been done to my truck

Cortesio

Reaction score
Do you have any details of what they did
So I can see if it has been done to my truck

Unfortunately no. To the best of my knowledge, they updated the computer. Have you asked the dealer about the parking sensor TSB?

Mikemarshallau

Reaction score
Unfortunately no. To the best of my knowledge, they updated the computer. Have you asked the dealer about the parking sensor TSB?

Not in those exact terms
I know they have done all the recalls etc and Stars team has been involved

But who knows
After that many repair attempts

Appreciate you sharing

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Had this happen to me for first time yesterday. Using mirrors and camera, nothing within at least 10 feet, truck slammed brakes on. Took me by surprise and wife almost punched me for hitting something. Luckily I remembered this post and mentioned to wife what had happened. Yes, I turned the auto brake selection OFF as soon as I got home. Hope it doesn't happen again.
First three times my truck did this to me, it scared the P*** out of me. Thought I'd hit a wall or another vehicle. Dear Lord, that's just terrible. It shouldn't slam the brakes, flash lights, AND ding at you all at once. Good recipe for cardiac arrest.
Good luck

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares

Bozknight55

Reaction score
1 in 3 times on average when backing up out of my garage the truck slams to a stop. twice trying to back out of a friend's driveway with a small decline to the street. It is loud and frightening. Embarrassing when others are outside and hear the truck slamming to a halt. Every time so far there has not been an obstacle but I wanted to maintain the feature. Not being able to get out of the dip in the driveway was the last straw. Those backup sensors are off, for good. If they would just get the tilt mirrors to work properly now.
Correction the auto braking is off, but the sensors are still beeping. That I can live with.

Last edited:

Mikemarshallau

Reaction score
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares

So if I PM does it go to you or anyone in the team?
Would love to discuss

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
1 in 3 times on average when backing up out of my garage the truck slams to a stop. twice trying to back out of a friend's driveway with a small decline to the street. It is loud and frightening. Embarrassing when others are outside and hear the truck slamming to a halt. Every time so far there has not been an obstacle but I wanted to maintain the feature. Not being able to get out of the dip in the driveway was the last straw. Those backup sensors are off, for good. If they would just get the tilt mirrors to work properly now.
I left the sensors on and turned off the auto braking...still beeps, but no whiplash...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread