5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sell me on RAM

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

I’m a big time bowhunter so this truck will see the dirt. But it will spend the vast majority of its time on highway and city miles. I do a lot of cross country hunts out west so MPG is extremely important. But first and foremost reliability is my number one concern. I plan on keep this next truck for as long as my old which was roughly 8 years.
The EcoDiesel, while not quite as powerful as the Hemi, will get you most of what the Hemi offers, and much better MPG. However, as it has been out for less years than the Hemi, it is not regarded as being quite as reliable. That being said, there are many EcoDiesels out there with hundreds of thousands of miles on them that have been mostly or completely problem free.

So here’s where I’m at currently. I was almost 100% sold on the f150 up until about 2 days ago. I loved the MPG of the 2.7, the aluminum everything so rust isn’t a concern, and the general track record and commonality of the truck. I felt it was probably my best bet for a truck that would last.
While aluminum does not rust, it still corrodes. Don't fall for the whole "rust proof" last-forever argument, as yes, it is rust proof, but not corrosion proof. I do not have the chemistry background to tell you if the aluminum will last longer than an equivalent steel vehicle, but it will still suffer from the elements like any other if not taken care of.

SO with that long winded intro out of the way - here are my questions-

-what is the real world mileage for you guys? I plan to put on BFG ATs or a similar 10 ply tire but won’t be lifting
With the Hemi, it will be less than Ford's EcoBoosts (as long as you keep your foot out of them), especially with E rated tires.

-how reliable are these trucks? Are there any common issues? Anything I should lookout for?
Many hit on FCA's reliability. If you look at brand reliability, RAM actually has the best reliability of the big 3 in most surveys/studies right now. If they'd work on their electronics a little more, what they are most frequently "dinged" for, they'd be way better.

In many studies, the only ones that seem to repeatedly beat Ram are the Toyota Tundra and Honda Ridgeline. Some even put RAM ahead of the Ridgeline. The Tundra is probably more reliable, I have to admit statistically, but thats what you get when you use technology that is 5 years old (or older) for the interior. Even in the articles that don't have RAM ahead, they have them on par with the other big 3. Here are a few to get you started...

-i was going to forgo etorq- good or bad idea?
Thats like asking if you should root for President Biden in his re-election bid in 4 years. Half the country is going to say yes, the other half is going to hate your guts. ;)

-is air suspension worth it?
This is also a President Biden re-election bid in 4 years type question. I have it on both my vehicles right now (truck + wife's Jeep), if that tells you my opinion. 😁

-would you buy a ram over an f150 if you planned to use it as a family vehicle and plan to drive the wheels off of it?
For 2020 model year, yes. I looked at them and sat in one, my brother-in-law owns one that is only a few years older (same styling). He loves his, but he is a Ford fanboy.
I have not sat in a 2021 yet, but judging by the interior pics, I still prefer my Ram.

As others said, sit in both. Drive both. Whichever makes you happier, including the price tag, go for it and don't look back.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Another question- is it possible to get the led housings that match the stock offering for the headlights and taillights after the fact? I’m looking at slightly used models (20k or less mpg) and not seeing lots with LEDs in my area nor lots with the sports package.

Not opposed to new - just setting my bar with the used first then I’ll explore new.
Yes you can buy them after, but you will pay $1,500-$1,600. plus a lot of disassembly for the front housings plus a harness. The rears are simple. $995 option if you buy a new Big Horn.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'll get lots of opinions here. I have a bit of insight since I owned a 2018 F-150 for two and a half years until I bought the RAM on Sept 30. Nothing but problems with the F-150. I've only had two problems with the RAM that I'm going to get fixed: the tailgate cables are slightly different lengths, and the fuse box cover by the battery doesn't snap shut tight. These are absolutely nothing as far as problems go. I had some major problems with the Ford and finally got rid of it.

I like the RAM better overall, and it isn't close. Pluses of the RAM vs F-150:

PRICE! You can get a fairly well equipped Laramie for what a similarly equipped within-trim XLT cost. If you want to compare apples to apples (Laramie vs Lariat), you're talking at least $8,000 more for the Lariat.

I liked the aluminum body on the F-150 for rust, but it had a lot of bed hop even after I put Bilsteins on the rear. Just too light.

I like the driving characteristics of the RAM better. It will not feel as "light" with driving as the F-150, but not as "heavy" as your current truck or even new GM offerings.

I like the powertrain better. The HEMI is great. For your use, I would avoid etorque. I had the 5.0 in my F-150.

The RAM tows better because the truck is a bit heavier. I get about 17 mpg towing a 2500 lb or so boat. If you tow a lot or heavy, get the 3.92 for $95 (I don't recall if the offroad group comes with 3.92 or if it is an option still).

General recommendation:

Get a RAM with the offroad package. It will come with tires that fit what you use the truck for and a 1" lift and locking differential. Also get the 33 gallon tank (unless you get the Level 2 Big Horn package, then it may be optioned with 26 but may still have the 23). If you go with a Big Horn, the cloth interior is nicer than in the XLT. The leather of the Laramie is WAY nicer than in the Lariat. Air suspension probably not needed or wanted for your use.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was a lifetime Ford truck guy (20 years) when my beloved dinosaur (2003 Ford F-250 diesel) was totaled in an accident (not my fault). Got the check from the insurance company and I had 2 weeks to find a new truck.

I went straight to my local Ford dealership to get me a brand spankin' new F-150 (no longer needed a heavy duty truck with a diesel) until I sat in one. Totally uninspiring to me and did not feel any connection to the truck when I drove it.

I skipped GM and Nissan (I won't own anything from either manufacturer for personal reasons) and went to Toyota. Lots of money for old tech and not as many options for the same price...plus they were a little full of themselves and wouldn't deal much on price.

Last stop was RAM (I always said I would never own a Dodge). I'm not a fan of any of the previous generations so begrudgingly went to check them out as I had not found what I wanted. Sat in a 4th gen (Classic) and hated it. Not a fan of the interior and no matter what I did I could not get comfortable in the driver's seat.

Sat in a 5th gen and knew that was my truck. Love the interior, the roominess of the larger crew cab (I have 2 adult kids), and the comfort of the ride.

I could go on but here's some of the features about the RAM that I like over others:

1. Transmission knob on the dash. No second stalk on the steering wheel shaft and a huge center console since there's no shifter in it.
2. Coil suspension. Rear coils with multi-link suspension and track bar eliminates any axle wrap or walk, plus it takes bumps in stride compared to my old all-leaf F-250.
3. Larger crew cab. At 6'2" I have the seat all the way back and there's more than enough leg room for my 6' son to sit behind me and then some.
4. The Level 2 Equipment Group lets me get some cool "upper class" features in the Big Horn to stay within my budget (heated wheel/seats, dual climate control, 7" digital EVIC, remote start, dampened tailgate).

Almost 2 years (and 9 warranty visits later) I still love my truck and would buy it again (and I still don't own a Dodge ;)).

Last edited:

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since family is involved... IIHS Ratings for large pickups:

2019 IIHS Top Safety Pick + goes to the 2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
2020 IIHS Top Safety Pick goes to the 2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
2021 IIHS Top Safety Pick goes to the... wait for it: 2021 Ram 1500 Crew Cab

Satchamo

Reaction score
just curious, what price range are you looking at ?

Trying to stay under 40k. Willing to bend on a few things if guys were like OMG don’t buy it without.

So scratching air ride so I think I can stay under 40k for all my other needs.

I’m seeing pretty good offerings on bighorns with less than 30kn miles. In the 35k price range in fact. But going used I’m going to have to give and take. For me, the only absolute hills to die on are the 5.7, crew, 4wd, led, sport appearance (or similar- don’t like chrome)and the midsize screen (not the biggest but not the tiny one).

The locking diff would be nice but man I can’t seem to see any used ones with the off-road package. I’m in southern Indiana if it helps.

In your guys experience- am I better off spending a bit more for new???

Satchamo

Reaction score
Also - it’s worth noting my current truck is lifted on 285s on a 5.3 engine. I’m lucky to get 12 mpg highway. So anything is a huge improvement !! I look at the ram mpg and drool haha

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any used Rebel's? Those have the offroad goodies already, though you get the 3.92 (not quite as fuel efficient as 3.21 but probably better than 12 mpg highway)

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my Big Horn new for $44K +TTL and doc fees:

Crew Cab 4x4
Level 2 Equipment Group
33 Gallon Tank
Premium LED Lighting
Off-Road Package
Bed Utility Group
Trailer Tow Group
8.4" screen with NAV
Sport Appearance Package
Bed Step
Blind Spot with Cross-Path Detection
Wheel-to-Wheel Side Steps
5.7L HEMI (without eTorque)

KBB says that my truck is worth about $40K on a lot (I have 37K miles) so you should be able to find something close to what you want in your price range.

Awood05

Reaction score
There is a lot of good feedback so I won’t add much.

Except to say, go drive one.

I am a born and bred Ford guy. I too used to say “I’ll never own a Chrysler product”, until I drove mine. Fell in LOVE. The interior is unmatched, the ride is incredible and the features....wow.

Consumer Reports released their ‘Most Reliable Automakers’ for 2020. Out of 26 total, RAM was 7th......Ford was 22nd. (Lincoln was dead last)

Ford has some serious quality issues that I feel are only going to get worse.

P.S. - I‘m averaging 17-18 MPG; No towing and a mix of highway, city and back country driving.

Bottom line, buy what makes you happy. (Even if it is just a wee bit more than what you planned on spending)

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello - first time poster.

I’m on the market for a new full size truck. But if background on me and my lifestyle.

I’m a 33 yr old father of 2. I’m 6’4” with the wingspan of an eagle. I currently drive an 08 Sierra crew that’s been a decent truck. I’m about to hit the 200k mark on it. The only major issue it has is rust. You could fit your fists through my fender wells currently. Every GM I’ve owned rusts and I don’t even live in the north. I’m in southern Indiana where we have mild winters. Also the truck eats oil due to the faulty *** AFM on the GMs of that generation.

I’m a big time bowhunter so this truck will see the dirt. But it will spend the vast majority of its time on highway and city miles. I do a lot of cross country hunts out west so MPG is extremely important. But first and foremost reliability is my number one concern. I plan on keep this next truck for as long as my old which was roughly 8 years. I don’t buy vehicles for vanity and to keep up with the Jones’s. I buy it to use and haul my family so this is an investment for me. It’s worth noting I’m still in the research phase and haven’t driven anything as I plan to purchase in the summer.

I occasionally pull a pop up camper and trailer but I’m by no means towing anything big. I can foresee us getting a bigger travel trailer but nothing huge.

So here’s where I’m at currently. I was almost 100% sold on the f150 up until about 2 days ago. I loved the MPG of the 2.7, the aluminum everything so rust isn’t a concern, and the general track record and commonality of the truck. I felt it was probably my best bet for a truck that would last.

I’ve admittedly hated the rams of the past. I never liked their styling and the interiors were cheap and quite frankly I’ve heard they were the worst truck as far as reliability. BUT then 2019 came and I’d be lying if I didn’t say I loved the styling but it was still just a RAM. So anyways I went down a rabbit hole of reviews and YouTube videos of the 2019 or newer rams and I’m sold in the truck from a style, fit, and pricing. Really seems like you get more bang for your buck on the RAM.

This would be my ideal truck as of now:

Ram 1500
5.7 L
Crew cab
4WD
Big horn package
LED lights (makes the truck look so much better)
Sport appearance
20 in wheels

SO with that long winded intro out of the way - here are my questions-

-what is the real world mileage for you guys? I plan to put on BFG ATs or a similar 10 ply tire but won’t be lifting

-how reliable are these trucks? Are there any common issues? Anything I should lookout for?

-i was going to forgo etorq- good or bad idea?

-is air suspension worth it?

-would you buy a ram over an f150 if you planned to use it as a family vehicle and plan to drive the wheels off of it?
Your "ideal" truck is much like the one I own, other than mine did not come with LEDs (definitely wish I had gotten them). With the 3.92 I average about 18 mpg, though I have achieved close to 22. Mechanically mine has been stellar through 9k miles. I would get almost the exact same truck if were to do it again

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Consumer Reports released their ‘Most Reliable Automakers’ for 2020. Out of 26 total, RAM was 7th......Ford was 22nd. (Lincoln was dead last)
Ford has some serious quality issues that I feel are only going to get worse.
Not to jump onto an anti-Ford band wagon here, but agreed! A lot of the honest reviews of recent Ford products (although I have not read this about the new F-150) have even said its like they didn't quite round the product off as nicely as they could have, like they were thinking "meh, Ford fans will buy this car regardless."

CMENT

Reaction score
Just STAY AWAY from the 12” display and it will be a great truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh boy.

What's wrong with the 12" display?

Some folks have issues with it. Mine has been nearly flawless, and except for the limited number of Sirius XM favorites allowed, I like it better than my wife's 8.4" on her Jeep, and the previous 8.4" screen I had in my 2014. But to each their own I guess.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

No issues with my 12”er, seen several people post issues with both the 12” and 8”!

Oh boy.

What's wrong with the 12" display?
just curious, what price range are you looking at ?
[

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To the OP... where are you located? Willing to travel? Trading in?

To be under $40k, you are looking at a Big Horn Level 2 with MSRP $51-$53k probably. Part depends on where you buy the truck. There is a good thread on here titled "how to get the best deal" or something like that. It goes through some rebates a lot of people don't know about, like tread lightly, penfed, true car, etc (note, not all stack with eachother).

An example, without Penfed or other discounts...

Last thing... pricing will probably be better in Feb. and March. Jan is at or close to the worst time to buy.

Satchamo

Reaction score

To be under $40k, you are looking at a Big Horn Level 2 with MSRP $51-$53k probably. Part depends on where you buy the truck. There is a good thread on here titled "how to get the best deal" or something like that. It goes through some rebates a lot of people don't know about, like tread lightly, penfed, true car, etc (note, not all stack with eachother).

Last thing... pricing will probably be better in Feb. and March. Jan is at or close to the worst time to buy.

Evansville, IN and yes willing to travel for the best deal within reason. I’m fairly centrally located between Indy, Louisville, St. Louis snd Nashville.

I’ll take a look at that thread.

Satchamo

Reaction score

Found the thread - super helpful.

Has anyone on here gotten a big horn crew for close to 40 off the lot?

I’m still weighing used vs new. On my current truck I averaged roughly 14k miles a year. Since then I’ve taken a new position and work 100% remote so I have no commute each day which cuts down on my mileage a lot. I see more traveling in our future to counteract that though snd we haven’t traveled in my truck in the past - but rather the wife’s suv.

What I’m driving towards here is even a vehicle with say 30k miles on it could be 2 full years of ownership for me. So I’m think that’s 2 years worth of low cost ownership I would give up going used.

If I could find a deal closer to the 40 mark - I might be willing to bite. I’m not sure if this helps but I’m looking to put a minimum of 25% down. I don’t want my payments hindering my life.

Just curious who bought a new bighorn - where - and what combination of techniques you used to get it. If I need to fly to save, I will. Just as a reminder - I’m not buying today. I’ll wait for a better time of the year. So I’m not sure if dodge has a “best time” or if it just varies from year to year.

Users who are viewing this thread