5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Self driving 1500 limited

BallstonSpaKW

Reaction score
OK, I’m not quite there yet, but is there any reason the comma stuff won’t work on a 2021 2500 with ACC and Lane Keep Assist? Kevin.

BallstonSpaKW

Reaction score
There is someone in the Discord group that is working to see if it is possible, but don't know where he is with it yet.
I have tried a few of the previous links to try to join the Comma Discord group (from my iPad) but so far no luck. Any easy way to do this?

dreinert

Reaction score
Try this invite, it should be good until Nov 15th.

Here’s another more active thread on 5th gen for self driving/comma.ai

boomtastic

Reaction score
I'm super interested in this for my 2019 Limited, but would like to know what some of the downsides are. Like what does it not do? Just it just steer the truck and regulate speed? How does it handle passing of vehicles? Do I need to have all of that wiring hanging down? Etc.

soSincerious

Reaction score
not sure if this has been covered, but what happens in the event of a crash and it turns out this aftermarket modification was performed on your truck ...

liability falls on who?
what does insurance have to say?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've been using it for months. The only downside right now is that we are still dialing everything in and trying to get the Ram officially supported. Outside of that, it works great. I took a 2200 mile trip with it and it drove at least 95% on it's own. At this time, it will not pass vehicles on its own. That's a future feature. It will not do end to end driving. Again, that's a future feature.

As far as insurance, it is covered. Keep in mind, this is level 2 self driving. You must still be alert and ready to take control. If you don't, that's on you. There are lots of safety checks in place to keep the device from trying to kill you. You are still in control anytime you need to be. Just because the vehicle is doing most of the driving, doesn't mean you can be stupid. It watches you and will alert you if you are distracted.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Just wanted to revive this post as it appears comma 3 is officially supported on the webpage. Anyone whos been using this have an update? Still only useful on highways/above 31mph?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just wanted to revive this post as it appears comma 3 is officially supported on the webpage. Anyone whos been using this have an update? Still only useful on highways/above 31mph?
Actually, om the 1500, it now steers to zero, so is useful in stop and go traffic and in town. It is not the official release, but a 1500 bet fork.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been running a Comma3 for months now. Purchased last August just after the Release of the Comma3
About to take a 3000+ mile trip in two weeks. Will be stopping by GDE to reflash my PCM on my 2021
1500 Laramie. I went to the dealer for something else and they flashed the PCM on me, overwriting the Tune.

I can have Open Pilot engaged for 95-97% of my 30 mile Commute that is half 55 mph and half 25-45 in
small towns.

Malodave

chronorp

Reaction score
Actually, om the 1500, it now steers to zero, so is useful in stop and go traffic and in town. It is not the official release, but a 1500 bet fork.

Would you mind linking to the fork or DM’ing it to me?

Just got a 1500 this past weekend. Have used open pilot in my civic and going to be installing the new comma3 tomorrow.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just got a 1500 this past weekend. Have used open pilot in my civic and going to be installing the new comma3 tomorrow.
You will need to join Discord

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got a Comma 2, used, for $500 with a wiring harness for some other vehicle. I got the wiring harness connector and mirror mount for my truck from @Malodave ($40, total). With shipping, etc, I have less than $600 in my whole setup.

It took me less than 1 hour from pulling up in front of my garage to driving away with Comma doing its calibration. Installing was that easy.

With the latest C2betaV2 fork, my Comma 2 is now working great for driving at all speeds, all the way down to a full stop and automatically resuming when the car in front of me goes. It also now respects my blind spot indicators (the ones that show a yellow triangle in the side view mirrors) and won't do a lane change if the blind spot detector says there is a car in my blind spot.

I have driven something like 3,000 miles with the Comma in the last few weeks and it is just awesome. I did a 1300(-ish) mile round trip from South Carolina to Pompano Beach, FL, this past weekend. Droning up and down I-95 was SO much nicer! Especially when it was stop-and-go during rush hour in south Florida on Friday.

Being able to use two hands to do things like eat or turn around and grab my little cooler from the floor in the back and get a drink out, while the truck drives itself are HUGE for me.

Having it for the stop-and-go traffic when running around town is nice, too, but not a game-changer the way highway performance is.

Don't get me wrong, though. It is not PERFECT. You still have to pay attention and, every now and then, correct the steering. OpenPilot won't dodge a car beside you that tries to change into your lane and run into you. It also does not "read the road" correctly at all times. In south FL, it really did a poor job on many of the roads that are multi-lane with almost white pavement and faded white lines. There are some long stretches of I-95 that are 6 lanes each way, with an HOV lane on the far left and a 3 foot (-ish) wide motorcycle lane between the HOV lane and the leftmost non-HOV lane. Whenever I was in that leftmost non-HOV lane, OpenPilot could see the white line on my left and then the other white line 3' further to my left. It always chose the further white line as the edge of my lane. Result was the truck constantly trying to drive just barely over the line in the motorcycle lane.

But, aside from some specific cases like that, it works amazingly well.

chronorp

Reaction score
Got my Comma3 installed yesterday. Agree that installation was easy. Make sure you pull the large plastic shroud around the mirror off first, then you can reach in and pop the tabs for the smaller plastic piece in the center to remove the whole thing from the mirror.

The included Ethernet cable is long enough but just barely, barely an inch to spare. I routed mine along headliner up top then down left A pillar under the rubber molding then across to OBD.

Don’t have as much driving experience with it yet as above but have used Comma2 in my civic for years so can vouch for openpilot being a game changer.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got my Comma3 installed yesterday. Agree that installation was easy. Make sure you pull the large plastic shroud around the mirror off first, then you can reach in and pop the tabs for the smaller plastic piece in the center to remove the whole thing from the mirror.

The included Ethernet cable is long enough but just barely, barely an inch to spare. I routed mine along headliner up top then down left A pillar under the rubber molding then across to OBD.

Don’t have as much driving experience with it yet as above but have used Comma2 in my civic for years so can vouch for openpilot being a game changer.

There is a side Airbag in the "A" pillar. It is best to pull the trim of the A pillar then pull the weatherstripping away from the Door Jamb next to the Dash to Run that Cable.

Malodave

Attachments

• PullDoorWeatherstripping.jpg
    PullDoorWeatherstripping.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 28
  • RAM_A_Pillar_Open.jpg
    RAM_A_Pillar_Open.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 27

chronorp

Reaction score
There is a side Airbag in the "A" pillar. It is best to pull the trim of the A pillar then pull the weatherstripping away from the Door Jamb next to the Dash to Run that Cable.

Malodave

Yes, sorry by rubber molding I meant weather stripping. I ran the cable under the weather stripping.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I popped the big trim piece off first, and even popped the mirror off its stalk. I still could not reach behind the trim to get that small plastic piece out.

Malodave

I did not do all that. I loosened (but not removed) the bolts holding the grab handle on. I did not pull any trim/moulding/weatherstripping off of anything. The cable tucked in behind easily and I can't see it.

I ran mine starting from the OBD port and going up. I had plenty of length to spare when I got to the top to plug it into the black box. @chronorp, maybe you routed the cable under the bottom edge of the lower dash, instead of through it from the side? If you run it through the side, there should be a few more inches of slack for you.

chronorp

Reaction score
I popped the big trim piece off first, and even popped the mirror off its stalk. I still could not reach behind the trim to get that small plastic piece out.

I did not do all that. I loosened (but not removed) the bolts holding the grab handle on. I did not pull any trim/moulding/weatherstripping off of anything. The cable tucked in behind easily and I can't see it.

I ran mine starting from the OBD port and going up. I had plenty of length to spare when I got to the top to plug it into the black box. @chronorp, maybe you routed the cable under the bottom edge of the lower dash, instead of through it from the side? If you run it through the side, there should be a few more inches of slack for you.

Yes you’re right, I ran it along the bottom of the dash, I’ll take another look to run it through the side.

I also popped the mirror off, then slid the plastic trim down the mirror stalk as far as it would go. That gave me enough room to reach my hand in and get to the tabs.

I didn’t pull the A pillar trim off either.

Users who are viewing this thread