5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Self driving 1500 limited

grimloktt

Reaction score
C3 should work but not aware of it being done yet. The software fork might need to be modified. There is one member on the discord that just got the C3, he's making the harness this weekend. Should know very soon if there are any complications.
Please let us know. I'm interested!

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
C3 should work but not aware of it being done yet. The software fork might need to be modified. There is one member on the discord that just got the C3, he's making the harness this weekend. Should know very soon if there are any complications.
That'd be me. I just got all the connectors so I'll be working on the harness. I hope to have it done and hopefully running by Monday.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That'd be me. I just got all the connectors so I'll be working on the harness. I hope to have it done and hopefully running by Monday.
Good man. Keep going and you all will have a rock solid working C3 in no time. Ai the very least I will upgrade the wifes Prime, and move the C2 to the Ram.

grimloktt

Reaction score
Sweet! Any chance you're making a how to and/or willing to make a harness if bought and shipped to you?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Alright, I’m in. Just purchased a C3 and developer harness. Super excited to get into the nuts and bolts of the thing. Gonna make the long drives to camping sites more enjoyable.

Haven’t found much in the way of RAM specific discussion in the Discord. Pain in the butt scrolling through a ton of Pacifica posts. Anyone know a better way?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Alright, I’m in. Just purchased a C3 and developer harness. Super excited to get into the nuts and bolts of the thing. Gonna make the long drives to camping sites more enjoyable.

Haven’t found much in the way of RAM specific discussion in the Discord. Pain in the butt scrolling through a ton of Pacifica posts. Anyone know a better way?
I just finished my harness and will be installing tomorrow. There is a Ram specific place on Discord, Ram OpenPilot Community.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

There is a RAM specific group that is quite good. I'm tec dyslectic, but find the info quite useful, even if most of it is above my old head.

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Wanted to update the thread now that it’s installed and working. This is a long one.

<tldr>
For short daily driving, not worth the money right now. If you’re doing long freeway miles, this thing is pretty much “set and forget it”. it’s a level 2 system, so you can’t really forget it, but you get my meaning.
Cost: $1500 to $3000
Install time: 4-8 hours
Bonus: it doubles as a dash cam
</tldr>

First, thanks Upandaway420 for introducing the topic, as I hadn’t heard about Comma until then AND have been really interested in self-driving… to the point that I had pre-ordered a Rivian R1T and even considered going to test drive one of the new Fords. I’ve got a long commute for work and am pulling a travel trailer farther and farther with each trip and being able to let the truck do the boring work is a dream come true.

And thanks to the guys here that made the leap and have been working on porting the software (OpenPilot) to the truck.

So the latest release of OpenPilot IS NOW WORKING on the C3 and we’re (I say “we” but i haven’t done sh*t, really. just a bit of encouragement) getting close to submitting the Ram 1500 build to Comma so the truck can be officially supported.

On performance, the thing is essentially just lane centering at the moment, but REALLY REALLY good lane centering and without the annoying nudges to touch the steering wheel that all the auto manufactures build in. If you’ve got lane keep assist on your truck, you know how bad that is. OpenPilot is exactly what you want the OOB LKA to be. Currently OpenPilot has to operate within the boundaries of the stock ACC and LKA systems, so it’s only reliably useful on freeways. AND the lateral control (gas and brake) are handled entirely by the stock ACC, so if you don’t like that, you won’t like it any better with the Comma unit - I’m perfectly happy with the truck’s ACC and it’s limitations. Could be better, of course, but it serves it’s purpose well enough and i’ve come to trust it or at least I’ve come to understand and anticipate it.

It’s pretty easy to install and setup. The hardware is no more difficult than any dash cam or custom wiring job you might do. The software has the potential to get complicated, but only if you’re a tinkerer. If that’s not your cup of joe, just type the URL of whatever the most popular compatible fork is at that moment into the unit and it takes care of downloading and installing itself. I went from manual drive to auto pilot in about 5 hours.

I think what’s most exciting is seeing the guys who know what they’re doing work on the software and knowing where Comma wants to go with OpenPilot. They say never buy hardware on the promise of future software, but it’s not hard to see where they’re going and, based on past performance, I don’t doubt that there will be some very cool improvements down the road. Lateral control is the primary focus ATM, and they’ve built some nav into the current version… door to door self-driving feels really doable and it’s awesome that I might be able to do that in the truck I already have, that i’ve invested so much time and effort into, and that I love ... sexually.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Wanted to update the thread now that it’s installed and working. This is a long one.

For short daily driving, not worth the money right now. If you’re doing long freeway miles, this thing is pretty much “set and forget it”. it’s a level 2 system, so you can’t really forget it, but you get my meaning.

First, thanks Upandaway420 for introducing the topic, as I hadn’t heard about Comma until then AND have been really interested in self-driving… to the point that I had pre-ordered a Rivian R1T and even considered going to test drive one of the new Fords. I’ve got a long commute for work and am pulling a travel trailer farther and farther with each trip and being able to let the truck do the boring work is a dream come true.

And thanks to the guys here that made the leap and have been working on porting the software (OpenPilot) to the truck.

So the latest release of OpenPilot IS NOW WORKING on the C3 and we’re (I say “we” but i haven’t done sh*t, really. just a bit of encouragement) getting close to submitting the Ram 1500 build to Comma so the truck can be officially supported.

On performance, the thing is essentially just lane centering at the moment, but REALLY REALLY good lane centering and without the annoying nudges to touch the steering wheel that all the auto manufactures build in. If you’ve got lane keep assist on your truck, you know how bad that is. OpenPilot is exactly what you want the OOB LKA to be. Currently OpenPilot has to operate within the boundaries of the stock ACC and LKA systems, so it’s only reliably useful on freeways. AND the lateral control (gas and brake) are handled entirely by the stock ACC, so if you don’t like that, you won’t like it any better with the Comma unit - I’m perfectly happy with the truck’s ACC and it’s limitations. Could be better, of course, but it serves it’s purpose well enough and i’ve come to trust it or at least I’ve come to understand and anticipate it.

It’s pretty easy to install and setup. The hardware is no more difficult than any dash cam or custom wiring job you might do. The software has the potential to get complicated, but only if you’re a tinkerer. If that’s not your cup of joe, just type the URL of whatever the most popular compatible fork is at that moment into the unit and it takes care of downloading and installing itself. I went from manual drive to auto pilot in about 5 hours.

I think what’s most exciting is seeing the guys who know what they’re doing work on the software and knowing where Comma wants to go with OpenPilot. They say never buy hardware on the promise of future software, but it’s not hard to see where they’re going and, based on past performance, I don’t doubt that there will be some very cool improvements down the road. Lateral control is the primary focus ATM, and they’ve built some nav into the current version… door to door self-driving feels really doable and it’s awesome that I might be able to do that in the truck I already have, that i’ve invested so much time and effort into, and that I love ... sexually.
Nice right up. Thank you. That explains it very well.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got my harness built today. Probably order the C3
next month as I have had to put out $6K to move
to a New Apartment over the past month. and I
Bought an 8.5' x 24' Blackout Enclosed Trailer for $10K.

Malodave

StringNH

Reaction score

<tldr>
</tldr>

I think what’s most exciting is seeing the guys who know what they’re doing work on the software and knowing where Comma wants to go with OpenPilot. They say never buy hardware on the promise of future software, but it’s not hard to see where they’re going and, based on past performance, I don’t doubt that there will be some very cool improvements down the road. Lateral control is the primary focus ATM, and they’ve built some nav into the current version… door to door self-driving feels really doable and it’s awesome that I might be able to do that in the truck I already have, that i’ve invested so much time and effort into, and that I love

<tldr>
</tldr>

This Comma stuff is awesome. I got my C2 running about 4 weeks ago. Been putting about 1000 miles a week on my truck and I'm loving it. It's not perfect but I think it works great and it's about to get a lot better. Offical support is going to open up many possibilities and improved functionality.

It blows my mind. I never heard of this or even imagined it was possible for this truck to drive itself till I saw this thread, beginning of July, just before my new truck was delivered. Now I just sit back, relax and let Comma two do the driving.

dreinert

Reaction score
Bmorestew & UpandAway,

Do you have installation instructions or a handful of pictures to help with the physical install side?

Would you suggest starting with C2 or going right to C3? My thought is maybe it makes sense to start with the C2 and if all is good then get C3 next year. 80% of my 70k miles is Highway so I’m very interested and excited for this.

Any details otherwise on what all goes into the 8ish hours for install?

Thank you both for any feedback and support!

Dallas

dreinert

Reaction score
It looks like they are sold out of the OBD to Ethernet connector but buying a generic car kit is available and includes it; understood I‘ll still have to make or get my ram specific connector.

Is this otherwise what is needed?

Pic also included of everything otherwise included if I get the $200 car kit.

Thanks!

Dallas

Attachments

• 94E4207C-D0D2-4284-8CC9-CB9559C12AB5.jpeg
    94E4207C-D0D2-4284-8CC9-CB9559C12AB5.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 4EF25CB6-71C1-44D5-861C-F8CC7EDC1AE8.jpeg
    4EF25CB6-71C1-44D5-861C-F8CC7EDC1AE8.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 46

vincentw56

Reaction score
I'd suggest going to the C3. From my understanding, all new features will be built for the C3 and may or may not work the the C2. When you select you C3, just select the Dev harness, at the end, from the list of harnesses. Then you will be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online