5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Self driving 1500 limited

StringNH

Reaction score
Hi Upandaway420 im about to collect a 2019 Limited and I am really interested in this. Are you able to tell us how it is going and I would be really grateful to have answers to floyo's questions above!
I have it running on my truck. I can't compare it to anything else but I am loving it. Hands free cruise control is fantastic. As of now, it does not operate below 31mph.

Adrian052

Reaction score
I have it running on my truck. I can't compare it to anything else but I am loving it. Hands free cruise control is fantastic. As of now, it does not operate below 31mph.
How did you upload the tunerpilot software to the comma?

StringNH

Reaction score
How did you upload the tunerpilot software to the comma?
Let me start by saying that I am no expert in this stuff but I will try to help you out the best I can. You will use an app on your PC called putty to SSH into the Comma. I will attach a pdf file that has some pretty good instructions. It is what I used. first watch the video linked in the pdf. I had to watch it a few times before it made sense to me, he doesn't explain everything perfectly but it was enough for me. It will explain how to setup putty. Then try to follow the pdf. Also, there is a dedicated Ram channel on Discord, not sure if you can get to it or not. If you need an invite or if you think you need an invite, give me your discord handle and I will see if I can get you an invite. My handle on discord is " @String#9136 ".

Attachments

• Installing_OP_on_Ram.pdf
    163.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Upandaway420

Reaction score
The is simply AWESOME!!! Currently I'm having my Subaru Ascent connected to the Comma2 for 3 months and I LOOOOVVVVEEEE it!. I was just looking at the new Ford F150 that has Level 2 Auto Driving built in for only limited edition of 2021+ but it's way too expensive for now.

So on the Comma2 machine end we dont need to do anything besides downloading the up-to-date software correct? If this is the case all we need to do is to make a harness ourselves and then just plug-and -play correct?

I mean this is HHHUUUUUGGGGEEE at least to me cuz Comma2 works better than the Tesla as far as I am concerned. Please keep me posted, thanks a bunch Upandaway420[/USER
[/QUOTE]
You are correct! The software isn't quite officially community supported yet so you will have to install our RAM fork on your C2 to make it work, and the Harness is super easy to build. The best way to keep up with updates is from the discord from discord.comma.ai to accept the invitation. We currently have min steer speed going to 31 MPH until we can get an firmware dump of the FCA EPS module. You still get ACC down to 0 MPH for stop and go traffic, but Openpilot can't steer the wheel below 31 MPH. There are currently about 15 of us on the discord who have it set up in our trucks. Find me (upandaway420) there and I can add you to our RAM group where we can guide you step by step to get Openpilot working in your truck!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just got my C3 in. Building the harness this weekend. Hopefully, the current build will run on it. If not, I'll have to wait.

PoppaPig78

Reaction score
This triggered allot of interest for me (including watching the C3 launch on YouTube and videos in use). I have adaptive cuise/lane assist; not sure how much this level 2 autonomy really gains me since I don;t spend a ton of time on the freeway.. What situations do you find it useful?

vegasandre

Reaction score
This triggered allot of interest for me (including watching the C3 launch on YouTube and videos in use). I have adaptive cuise/lane assist; not sure how much this level 2 autonomy really gains me since I don;t spend a ton of time on the freeway.. What situations do you find it useful?
looks like the comma 3 is 1k more than the comma 2.. not sure what you get for the extra 1k? and I guess there still are no harnesses for the Ram so you have to build one. I am trying to figure this out as I want it but not sure which way to go on it yet.

Upandaway420

Reaction score
On the highway is where openpilot really shines. however; it will work on any road as long as you are going faster than 31 MPH. I live 1.5 miles from work, so I don't use it every day, but when I get on the highway, I never drive more than a mile before I realize the truck would be driving itself better than I am. Haha. I recently went through a bad rain storm where highway traffic went down to 35 mph and I left Openpilot engaged (with both hands on the steering wheel!) because it was able to see the lines on the road better than I was.

PoppaPig78

Reaction score
On the highway is where openpilot really shines. however; it will work on any road as long as you are going faster than 31 MPH. I live 1.5 miles from work, so I don't use it every day, but when I get on the highway, I never drive more than a mile before I realize the truck would be driving itself better than I am. Haha. I recently went through a bad rain storm where highway traffic went down to 35 mph and I left Openpilot engaged (with both hands on the steering wheel!) because it was able to see the lines on the road better than I was.
Cool. Road trips would be amazing.. I'm an early tech adopter (work in IT); as soon as the C3 has a kit I'm in. My days are too full to work up a harness right now. Thank you for bringing all the info here, I'm excited to join in :)

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Cool. Road trips would be amazing.. I'm an early tech adopter (work in IT); as soon as the C3 has a kit I'm in. My days are too full to work up a harness right now. Thank you for bringing all the info here, I'm excited to join in :)
I'd be willing to build the harness for you for free. You'd just need to pay shipping to/from and supplies (about $10).

StringNH

Reaction score
Yeah, what he said... I'm always on the highway. I've logged 3000 on the comma 2 in the last couple of weeks. It is amazing on the highway and yes it does see the road lines in the rain better than I can too. For me it's all about pain reduction. I can now go literally hours without touching the wheel. No more tingling fingers and burning shoulders. Age is an unforgiving *****. Comma.ai makes driving chill...

grimloktt

Reaction score
Does it have all those wires like in the OP?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

grimloktt

Reaction score
What's it looked like hooked up--in the truck?

Upandaway420

Reaction score

That video was from VERY early development. It looks very clean installed. Everything hides well.

Attachments

• 20210903_185049.jpg
    20210903_185049.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 108

StringNH

Reaction score

Only thing visible is one usb-c cable that connects to the comma 2. The other wires are concealed under the cover.

Attachments

• 20210828_141058.jpg
    20210828_141058.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 87

grimloktt

Reaction score
Cool. So I went to their website and the c3 looks available. Can we do that instead of c2?

StringNH

Reaction score
Cool. So I went to their website and the c3 looks available. Can we do that instead of c2?

C3 should work but not aware of it being done yet. The software fork might need to be modified. There is one member on the discord that just got the C3, he's making the harness this weekend. Should know very soon if there are any complications.

Users who are viewing this thread