5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safety chain shackles that fit the hitch?

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought I was the only one having this issue with my boat trailer. It's a puzzle every time I connect/disconnect the trailer. Not a big issue but annoying.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I would change out the hooks on the trailer side before going with a shackle or other device in the hitch receiver.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Personally, I would change out the hooks on the trailer side before going with a shackle or other device in the hitch receiver.

I just need to find one that fits that isn't absurdly oversized for what I am towing lol

69Sting

Reaction score
I just go in from the side and having found that to be a issue with any trailers that I tow. Also non have the spring clip.

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
You do realize that those chan links are commonly used to hoist machines and such, I worry more about the factory hitch installation

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
You do realize that those chan links are commonly used to hoist machines and such, I worry more about the factory hitch installation

I agree with this. I personally don't mind going this route but I'd prefer just to get a new hook. Like you said though, those links hold some serious weight.

Wild Bill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@TheWaterman83, pics...
Pic of chain tag to show what chain & specs are.
I just read your signature & see that you have a 2019 Rebel. I have 2022 1500 Big Horn with an OEM hitch receiver. If your hitch is different (probably is) we are talking about trying to put a square peg in a round hole...
Hope this helps...
20230927_165117.jpg 20230927_165150.jpg 20230927_165134.jpg 20230927_165219.jpg 20230927_143650.jpg

Attachments

• 20230927_165134.jpg
    20230927_165134.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 6

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
@TheWaterman83, pics...
Pic of chain tag to show what chain & specs are.
I just read your signature & see that you have a 2019 Rebel. I have 2022 1500 Big Horn with an OEM hitch receiver. If your hitch is different (probably is) we are talking about trying to put a square peg in a round hole...
Hope this helps...

I really appreciate it. I must have a slightly different sized hitch. My hooks are almost the same size, maybe a 1/16th" smaller. Which is probably all the difference? Maybe the switch factories and/or the design.

Changing out my chain hooks would have required cutting them off, pulling the chains off, or getting new chains entirely. I went with these. Looks like it's about 6600 lbs working load total between two. My entire tow rig isn't even 3000 lbs, probably not even 2000 lbs, so these should work.

When it comes time to replace the chains I'll probably end up making sure I go with a slightly bigger chain which in turn, will probably come with a bigger/wider gap hook. I really appreciate the help.

IMG_1262.jpg

Jarrod32

Reaction score
I wouldn't trust that quick link to hold, even though it is rated at the 3300 pounds. That would be a very weak point if those safety chains were ever needed. But you don't need that spring clip on the hook...a pair of pliers will take that spring clip out of your way easily, then just hook it up.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I wouldn't trust that quick link to hold, even though it is rated at the 3300 pounds. That would be a very weak point if those safety chains were ever needed. But you don't need that spring clip on the hook...a pair of pliers will take that spring clip out of your way easily, then just hook it up.

The rig I am towing isn't even 2000 lbs total. Maybe just barely over 1000'. 13' boat, trailer, and 25hp outboard.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't get out a tape measure, but my chain hook looks about the same size as the one Wild Bill shows and I've not had an issue either. Not sure if it matters, but I don't cross my chains. If the chains are so long they might drag, I will twist the chain then hook it.

IMG_3105.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't get out a tape measure, but my chain hook looks about the same size as the one Wild Bill shows and I've not had an issue either. Not sure if it matters, but I don't cross my chains. If the chains are so long they might drag, I will twist the chain then hook it.

View attachment 168333
You are supposed to cross the chains. That way if the hitch comes off it gets caught on the chains to keep it from dragging on the road.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've always crossed. I guess somebody told me that a long time ago. Don't remember who or when.

llando88

Reaction score
I went and looked to see if I had any tow-hook pictures from one of our travel trailers, as I haven't encountered this issue.

I think the reason is that the chains I've used have always been fitted with a large U-shaped shackle on the chain with a spring-loaded retention bar across. After I back the truck up, I always installed them, crossed, open end up (for the reasons up thread) pretty easily.

The ones I used were supplied with our trailer from Airstream. I could only find one picture, of the hitch when I was parked up somewhere up North at some point, it's below. The shackle can be seen on the right side, hanging up. If I can search and find out what Airstream uses, I'll post back. The shackle attaches to the chain with a through bolt; I typically use that to tailor the length to each rig we've had.

Screenshot from 2023-10-01 05-21-38.png

Edit to add: I did a quick look and was able to locate what's referred to as a "Clevis Hook". A similar item on Amazon is here; this is a 5/16 / 16k hook; I'm not sure what specific part Airstream uses (we are currently in between trailers) but the hooks on my chains looked a lot like this:

Last edited:

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
Simple,should we have catastrophic failure these chain links will be the least of my worries.

Attachments

• 20230713_123509.jpg
    20230713_123509.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 20

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
I had the same issue as OP with the chain hook opening not being wide enough. I just put the hook up through the bottom opening, out the front opening and hooked the chain to itself.

Users who are viewing this thread