5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safety chain shackles that fit the hitch?

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Anyone have any luck finding shackles to fit the early 5th gen hitch like below? I know it sounds dumb but it would make me feel a little better knowing I have the shackle locking all the way into the hitch.

IMG_1254 (1).jpg

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any luck finding shackles to fit the early 5th gen hitch like below? I know it sounds dumb but it would make me feel a little better knowing I have the shackle locking all the way into the hitch.

View attachment 168073
I think some "non trailer pulling European engineer" had they hands in designing these.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What is the reason for shackles? The hooks on any trailer I have pulled fit fine into the hitch

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have struggled getting off the ones with safety springs.
I mean, I see trucks around here all the time with small clevices in the hitch. Just never understood the reason. To me, that's just another fail point on your safety chains/cables.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I think some "non trailer pulling European engineer" had they hands in designing these.

Possibly. Interestingly, enough, seems like Chevy/GM/Ford all did the same thing. See below. It's just slightly annoying I might have to buy these additional "shackles" to hook the safety chain hook to.

maxresdefault.jpg

What is the reason for shackles? The hooks on any trailer I have pulled fit fine into the hitch

Shackles or hooks? I might be mistaken in saying "shackles" but I have the below hooks and they don't clip in. The keeper won't engage. I'd feel better if I had something that actually locked onto the hitch.

51swW6gZsUL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

This is the issue I'm having.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have also with newer trailers. These are the law in some states, so it is a real problem. As said above, someone who doesn't tow designed these; signed off without testing.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I have also with newer trailers. These are the law in some states, so it is a real problem. As said above, someone who doesn't tow designed these; signed off without testing.

It's been an ongoing issue it seems.

Wild Bill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow a travel trailer & the OEM safety chain hooks have the spring clip. For the extra few seconds it takes to get the hook with the spring clipped in the receiver properly & then removed is not an issue. Are you towing a huge heavy trailer & the safety chains & hooks are big? As HSKR R/T stated 'its just another fail point'...

Last edited:

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I tow a travel trailer & the OEM safety chain hooks have the spring clip. For the extra few seconds it takes to get the hook with the spring clipped in the receiver properly & then removed is not an issue. Are you towing a huge heavy trailer & the safety chains & hooks are big? As HSKR R/T stated 'its just another fail point'...

I dunno man. I consider myselt a pretty smart person and I cannot seem to get the spring clip/keeper to engage around the hitch. Am I missing something here? It's not about the time, I just can't get the keeper to engage. I really don't even care about buying a new end hook/clip. I just prefer to not have to add some additional hardware, like the shackle, to the hitch. It's not a heavy trailer at all. I just would prefer to actually have something that locks around the hitch vs. just hooking and resting in the holes.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's not just you guys, the chains on my utility trailer are really hard to get on/off, the ones on my travel trailer are better. Just depends on the design of the chain, with the aftermarket hitch on my Jeep I had zero issues with any chains.

Wild Bill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hook from the bottom up. Open part is facing the trailer not the road. As I understand it, if a rock was to hit the hook it should stay hooked verses popping off. And that would the reason for the spring clip. Honestly there are various opinions on this. I am the most confident hooking from the bottom up. Chains must be crossed.
Hope this helps...

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I hook from the bottom up. Open part is facing the trailer not the road. As I understand it, if a rock was to hit the hook it should stay hooked verses popping off. And that would the reason for the spring clip. Honestly there are various opinions on this. I am the most confident hooking from the bottom up. Chains must be crossed.
Hope this helps...

Well, I agree, should be hooked from the bottom up but I can't because the spring keeper won't retain around the hitch. I always cross like you said. Do you have a pic of which hook you are using? This would really help. Like I said, I just can't get the spring clip to engage around the hitch.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
It's not just you guys, the chains on my utility trailer are really hard to get on/off, the ones on my travel trailer are better. Just depends on the design of the chain, with the aftermarket hitch on my Jeep I had zero issues with any chains.

Same. Had a JGC, no issues. I really would hate to have to go with pear shaped or standard quick links.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hope this helps...

It's not the direction of the hook, it's the width of the hook mouth. Doesn't matter if you try to put them on one way or another some hooks are just not wide enough to fit the opening on the reciever.

Please give us a little credit here when we say this. We're not all towing newbies, and some chains just won't fit the receiver on my truck without pretty much hammering them on. If you watch some towing reviews you'll see that mentioned there as well (on different truck brands too).

Wild Bill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@TheWaterman83, pics will be later in the day, I have some errands to do...

@silver billet, I'm not trying to be a dickhead & I have respect for all of you. And I agree, chains are different & everyone's application is different.

I'm commenting on my application & hopefully it helps someone...

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
You need these

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230927_095303_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230927_095303_Chrome.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 14

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
They do on mine, I'm pretty sure they came with the Blue Ox WD hitch when I bought my travel trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread