5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rust protection and ceramic coating, is it worth it?

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have just used Mother's CMX which is a pretty new formula. Some good initial hype. So far, so good. Good beading and great shine for a spray and wipe product.

cw_mi

Reaction score
To answer Rammit's question. IDK about the undercoating, but regarding ceramics, dutchman is right on the money.

You can also go a cheaper route by sealing the paint with an inexpensive sealant like Meguiar's M21. Seriously good product, and it's about 17 bucks @ Amazon. I been using it for years, and each coat should easily last about 3-4 months. Spend a little more and go with Mckees 37 or Hydrosilex. These are like spray on waxes, so ease of use is key. Very hydrophobic, which I can confirm helps the truck stay cleaner longer, and even if they lasted less than the 6-8 months advertised, you could apply this once a month or so since it's so user friendly.

Many options out there.

Here are some pics of M21 coat that was about 6 or 7 weeks old at the time. View attachment 4564 View attachment 4565 View attachment 4566

Nice set up and great looking truck.
With my new truck I'm changing up my detailing game. Two bucket method, air dry with a blower, quality microfiber towels, foam cannon with Chemical guys snow foam. The coating I went with is Sonax for the paint and Gtechniq C5 for the wheels. I also plan on using a Gtechniq quick detailer over the Sonax.

I'm new to these types of coatings and after too much research ended up balancing cost, ease of application and longevity. There is just so much info and product out there it is sort of a guessing game for those that are new to it.
As for rust protection. Living in Michigan it is hell on vehicles. I plan on , in the fall spraying the entire undercarriage with Fluid Film a paraffin based spray.

machz

Reaction score
It all depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for something that will keep a decent shine and bead for a couple of years ceramic is a solid choice. But don't be fooled into thinking that it is better at protecting the paint from scratches or swirls because you will be disappointed. I use it cquartz on my wife's car and I have used it on my kid's cars but I'm not using it on mine.

I wanted something that I could apply and forget for a couple of years other than normal washes on their cars. After a year their cars look decent but not great IMO. There are some swirls and the paint doesn't have that "pop". For my vehicles, I use a sealant every spring and fall. This allows me to do a little correction to be sure the paint is perfect. I correct and polish in far less time than it takes to coat. I tried using ceramic on my car but no matter what I did a year later there were minor swirls that I couldn't live with and if you try to correct them you have to recoat.

So IMO you need to ask yourself if you want a perfect finish that you have to work on 1 or 2 times a year or are you ok with a good finish that will get you a couple of years.

Dirtfreak

Reaction score
Thanks =)

Mostly Meguiar’s products on the spray bottles. APC, degreaser, quick spray wax, etc. On the bins I have microfiber towels separated by funcion (cleaning, buffing, paint, glass), and also applicators and washing mitts.

I’ve made some changes lately since I was running out of room in my old tool box, so I am in the process of moving things around since it was still too messy for my liking.

Cheers,

View attachment 6664 View attachment 6665
You can get that tool box & chest at the Home Depot for around $898.

StealthTech6

Reaction score
checkout FluildFilm for rust protection. FluidFilm Has alot of great reviews and it doesn't seal moisture in like ziebart does. As a cw_mi mentioned, you'll need to reapply every 2yrs, but it definitely works.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
checkout FluildFilm for rust protection. FluidFilm Has alot of great reviews and it doesn't seal moisture in like ziebart does. As a cw_mi mentioned, you'll need to reapply every 2yrs, but it definitely works.

I, too, have heard great things about this product on other forums.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I sprayed a light coating of fluid film on my rear differential and it looks great. It seems to be holding very well through spring melt. Going to get under and do other parts as well. It definitely sticks.

I'm going to monitor it over the summer and if it's not getting to ugly (dirty) I'll think about hitting some areas around the fenders, etc.

cw_mi

Reaction score
Finally got around to getting the paint sealer on. Spent the day doing the exterior of the truck. With my new '19, i've changed the way i wash. I now use a foam cannon, and just a different technique. It has great results but is definitely more time consuming. I think it was an hour and a half before i got to the sealant application process.
I went with Sonax polymer net shield. Application was straight forward. Also used some Gtechnique wheel armor. At the end i went over everything with some Gtechnique quick detailer.
The truck turned out great, although i feel the truck has the worst factory paint job ever. Lot of orange peel and seems to chip very easily.
Got everything looking sweet and now it's supposed to rain tonight. Guess, i'll see how the new sealer works.
Just curious what all you guys use on the trim and on tonneau covers ? I've used 303 in the past.
Oh, and any suggestions for product on the interior leather ?
4c0a0b92265176950e6fd7a015f792e8.jpg
68c6089391413220b32eeab28e527ba2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Finally got around to getting the paint sealer on. Spent the day doing the exterior of the truck. With my new '19, i've changed the way i wash. I now use a foam cannon, and just a different technique. It has great results but is definitely more time consuming. I think it was an hour and a half before i got to the sealant application process.
I went with Sonax polymer net shield. Application was straight forward. Also used some Gtechnique wheel armor. At the end i went over everything with some Gtechnique quick detailer.
The truck turned out great, although i feel the truck has the worst factory paint job ever. Lot of orange peel and seems to chip very easily.
Got everything looking sweet and now it's supposed to rain tonight. Guess, i'll see how the new sealer works.
Just curious what all you guys use on the trim and on tonneau covers ? I've used 303 in the past.
4c0a0b92265176950e6fd7a015f792e8.jpg
68c6089391413220b32eeab28e527ba2.jpg

Looks great!
303 aerospace protectant works wonderful on the tonneau. For the paint I am using Hydrosilex. Very good product as well.

Cheers,

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm using 303 aerospace protectant on the cover and 303 leather on the interior.

I'm not sure about that sealant, but when I put down Menzerna or similar sealants, I try to avoid rain for at least 12 hours to allow a full cure.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For paint protection; I have been using Collinite 476. I have tried NXT, Gold Class, ICE, and every other allegedly good product on the market and have settled with Collinite 476 because it is super tough and super slick. When it comes right down to it; slick is what you want to repel dirt and prevent scratches. Many sealers are shiny, but not slick. The Collinite lasts about 6 months (and that is with weekly washes). I feel the Collinite 476 is hands down the best protection I have ever seen in a wax. I'm still trying to figure out window cleaning and protection from those awful water etching spots. I might try the McKees stuff and see how it works.
I know that for some, ceramic coating is all the rage; but I don't think I would be willing to throw down a couple thousand dollars for coatings. If you keep your truck clean (including undercarriage washing) and keep a good coat of wax on it; then it will last and look good for a long time. My 16 year old RAM looked like a brand new truck (aside from the dings and scratches from being used as a truck); it never had any special protection other than a bath and a good coat of wax.

WasatchBack

Reaction score

Sonax PNS is a great sealant, I use it on all my non-black customer car details. Have not found anything to last longer outside of going ceramic. With that said, for my own cars I use CQuartz UK and CQuartz Trim for exterior trim. Interior leather and alcantara I seal with Nanolex textile and leather sealant.

Users who are viewing this thread