5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rust protection and ceramic coating, is it worth it?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How can you seal something like paint that isn't porous? When that question gets answered with science and proof, and not marketing, then it'd be easier to not roll my eyes at this subject.

The science is out there, just like the marketing. A good detailer will use lights to make sure the coating is level or coat to level out imperfect spots. Seeing is believing as well, take a car that was waxed 6 months ago and one that has been ceramic coated, you’ll see a huge difference in how the water runs off and the overall shine. Sure, a fresh coat of wax will take care of that but imagine your truck looking and repelling water after just a wash like it just visited a detailer.

Pricey stuff for sure but let’s say it saves you from waxing for 5 years. How many times would you have waxed, 10? How long does it take to wax, a thorough and perfect job. 2 hours or so? How much is your time worth?

Every man has their price. ;)

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score
IMHO Ceramic paint coatings are worth the money if you like to keep your vehicle looking clean and don't want to put in tons of effort after your vehicle has been properly prepped and a ceramic coating applied.

I had Gtechniq Crystal Serum Black topped with EXO installed on my MINI 2 1/2 years ago and all I've ever done since then is hand wash it about once a month. The paint is still super hydrophobic and looks awesome. Bugs, dirt, road grime, etc. do not stick to my paint and washing it is super easy.

The prep work is the most important part of a ceramic coating.

I'll be applying Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light topped with two coats of EXOv4 on my truck next month (when it is a bit cooler here in AZ). The prep work will be the most time consuming part, but it will be worth it since I won't have to worry about waxing or sealing my truck for years....

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why does cquartz sell a product to the public called UK 3.0 but they also offer a cquartz professional and cquartz finest that they won’t allow us to buy and only be installer based product? How much does the quality vary on uk 3.0 to cquartz professional/finest

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why does cquartz sell a product to the public called UK 3.0 but they also offer a cquartz professional and cquartz finest that they won’t allow us to buy and only be installer based product? How much does the quality vary on uk 3.0 to cquartz professional/finest

Harder to install version that is supposed to give a bit more longevity and possibly hardness. For the price difference, there is no way I would do it. But you also have to figure in how comfortable you are attempting it yourself too with the consumer version. If you are new to coatings, there is a learning curve. But honestly not that bad. Take it slow and watch a ton of videos on how to do it and you will be fine. It is all in the prep.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Started putting down the Cquartz UK today. Washed, clayed, used DP coating prep polish, and then carpro Eraser before the Cquartz UK 3.0. Windows got same process, minus the Eraser, and then they got McKees window coating. Not finished with the whole truck, but very pleased thus far. Here is front hood and windows done with first coat.

Attachments

• 20181008_192604.jpg
    20181008_192604.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 124
  • 20181008_192303.jpg
    20181008_192303.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 127
  • 20181008_192241.jpg
    20181008_192241.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 125

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Started putting down the Cquartz UK today. Washed, clayed, used DP coating prep polish, and then carpro Eraser before the Cquartz UK 3.0. Windows got same process, minus the Eraser, and then they got McKees window coating. Not finished with the whole truck, but very pleased thus far. Here is front hood and windows done with first coat.
Sweet. Keep posting pics of the rest.

RamMeToo

Reaction score
Hydrosilex applied yesterday. Did a very good paint cleaning and slight correction but overall, I was in great shape. Makes me wonder if my truck was ever on a railcar???

After applying and coming back to check it overnight, the paint is slick as snot. If each application can last me 5-6 months I'll be thrilled. Just did the Merc too.

Attachments

• pGxjnzT%Spqzzg5WCCWMnA.jpg
    pGxjnzT%Spqzzg5WCCWMnA.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hydrosilex applied yesterday. Did a very good paint cleaning and slight correction but overall, I was in great shape. Makes me wonder if my truck was ever on a railcar???

After applying and coming back to check it overnight, the paint is slick as snot. If each application can last me 5-6 months I'll be thrilled. Just did the Merc too.
Awesome. I applied Hydrosilex in July and the water still beads like crazy. I may just do another application this weekend to maintain it.

Cheers,

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I wish my garage was this clean.
What products do you use?
I see the bins too, what do you use in each of those?
Thanks =)

Mostly Meguiar’s products on the spray bottles. APC, degreaser, quick spray wax, etc. On the bins I have microfiber towels separated by funcion (cleaning, buffing, paint, glass), and also applicators and washing mitts.

I’ve made some changes lately since I was running out of room in my old tool box, so I am in the process of moving things around since it was still too messy for my liking.

Cheers,

ABB4451C-C3BE-4A12-80EC-2493BD50B5CF.jpeg 6BD1EA0B-144F-40AF-823B-1B610DE17298.jpeg

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Thanks =)

Mostly Meguiar’s products on the spray bottles. APC, degreaser, quick spray wax, etc. On the bins I have microfiber towels separated by funcion (cleaning, buffing, paint, glass), and also applicators and washing mitts.

I’ve made some changes lately since I was running out of room in my old tool box, so I am in the process of moving things around since it was still too messy for my liking.

Cheers,

View attachment 6664 View attachment 6665

Man, if the tools and parts in my garage were that spaced out I'd need a 12 stall instead of a 2 stall garage. I wish my garage looked that organized, but it'll never happen.

Mich thor

Reaction score
If you're taking that truck onto zug island your going to regret it.That environment eats metal! I worked in the mobile equipment shop on the pick-ups there. Get a beater for going in there,and leave it in the parking lot.

ant0064

Reaction score
To answer Rammit's question. IDK about the undercoating, but regarding ceramics, dutchman is right on the money.

You can also go a cheaper route by sealing the paint with an inexpensive sealant like Meguiar's M21. Seriously good product, and it's about 17 bucks @ Amazon. I been using it for years, and each coat should easily last about 3-4 months. Spend a little more and go with Mckees 37 or Hydrosilex. These are like spray on waxes, so ease of use is key. Very hydrophobic, which I can confirm helps the truck stay cleaner longer, and even if they lasted less than the 6-8 months advertised, you could apply this once a month or so since it's so user friendly.

Many options out there.

Here are some pics of M21 coat that was about 6 or 7 weeks old at the time. View attachment 4564 View attachment 4565 View attachment 4566

Very nice...thanks for this advice!

Trfnj74

Reaction score
Ni
Thanks =)

Cheers,

View attachment 6664 View attachment 6665

Nicely organized!

Lize

Reaction score
I've previously had 2 brands of paint sealer applied to new cars by the dealer, one is very good (Supagard - a UK product), it makes dirt come off much easier when washing, its supposed to last 3 years but I found it doesn't wash as well after about a year and benefits from reapplication.

The other I can't remember the name of was absolute rubbish, it deteriorated in a few months and left almost sticky looking patches which accumulated dirt, it was a white car and it looked to have grey polish streaks although not dry ones. In the end I used Autoglym Super Resin polish to get it off and it took me an absolute age. Both were applied by the same dealer so I think it was the product at fault and not the application plus the dealer dropped the product and reverted back to Supagard.

I've considered ceramic coatings, not because I think they are tougher than paint etc but to make dirt come off more easily during washing and hence help reduce swirl marks. Having had experience of a problematic sealant I'm put off trying the ceramic type, I've not heard of any horror stories but as far as I can tell its relatively new in the UK and I wonder whether in say 3 or 5 years what it would look like.

Just wondering what long term experience people have with the ceramics and whether there are good and bad brands?

jkm312

Reaction score
To answer Rammit's question. IDK about the undercoating, but regarding ceramics, dutchman is right on the money.

You can also go a cheaper route by sealing the paint with an inexpensive sealant like Meguiar's M21. Seriously good product, and it's about 17 bucks @ Amazon. I been using it for years, and each coat should easily last about 3-4 months. Spend a little more and go with Mckees 37 or Hydrosilex. These are like spray on waxes, so ease of use is key. Very hydrophobic, which I can confirm helps the truck stay cleaner longer, and even if they lasted less than the 6-8 months advertised, you could apply this once a month or so since it's so user friendly.

Many options out there.

Here are some pics of M21 coat that was about 6 or 7 weeks old at the time. View attachment 4564 View attachment 4565 View attachment 4566

Neurobit

I read thru your post about Meguiar's M21. I have been using Meguiar's NXT 2.0 for several years on both trucks, wife's car and the Harley. All of them a stored in a garage. They all get "waxed" 3 to 4 times a year, cleaned as needed. For my money I've not found anything better for daily drivers. NXT lasts about 3-4 months fairly easy here in the midwest. What is the difference between M21 and NXT? Meguiar's is a trusted name in my garage. I've not heard of it, nor have I done much searching to replace the NXT because of the results I have obtained with it.

Just curious and I'm always open to newer better products if in fact they truly are.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've previously had 2 brands of paint sealer applied to new cars by the dealer, one is very good (Supagard - a UK product), it makes dirt come off much easier when washing, its supposed to last 3 years but I found it doesn't wash as well after about a year and benefits from reapplication.

The other I can't remember the name of was absolute rubbish, it deteriorated in a few months and left almost sticky looking patches which accumulated dirt, it was a white car and it looked to have grey polish streaks although not dry ones. In the end I used Autoglym Super Resin polish to get it off and it took me an absolute age. Both were applied by the same dealer so I think it was the product at fault and not the application plus the dealer dropped the product and reverted back to Supagard.

I've considered ceramic coatings, not because I think they are tougher than paint etc but to make dirt come off more easily during washing and hence help reduce swirl marks. Having had experience of a problematic sealant I'm put off trying the ceramic type, I've not heard of any horror stories but as far as I can tell its relatively new in the UK and I wonder whether in say 3 or 5 years what it would look like.

Just wondering what long term experience people have with the ceramics and whether there are good and bad brands?

You can find a long detailed explanation and experience for people over at Autogeek's forum regarding different brands/sealants/ceramics. I currently have CquartzUK 3.0 that I applied. Too early to say what the long term longevity is as I put in down in October. I did have some minor high spots on my hood that was likely user error on my part, which I plan on polishing off and redoing the hood shortly. I did the truck with a sem-professional (including doing demos at SEMA shows detailing, correcting, etc) and we both found the cquartz to be more "grabby" than I would have anticipated. Manageable, but not extremely easy or idiot proof. Regarding washing though, yes it has made that very, very easy. It can be filthy and a straight water hose will disperse of 90% by itself. Some quality sealants offered similar results though, such menzerna powerlock. The nice benefit (in theory) is that this ceramic shouldn't wear as quickly, and thus reduce the chance of protection wearing before I can reapply. I did use mckees 37 hydro blue sio2 coating on my wife's car in October as well. I did a poor prep job as I was in a hurry and knew I was doing a full correction on her car this spring anyway. Despite that, her car is still beading like crazy and is easy to wash. So the surface tension is still there. Not bad for literally just spraying that on a wet car. Can't imagine it will hold up much longer, but impressive considering it took five minutes and made it through a midwest winter.

But seriously, just like you can dive deep into oil choices/chemistry/preferences more on bobistheoilguy, you can do the same on sealants/coatings/etc at autogeek.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Neurobit

I read thru your post about Meguiar's M21. I have been using Meguiar's NXT 2.0 for several years on both trucks, wife's car and the Harley. All of them a stored in a garage. They all get "waxed" 3 to 4 times a year, cleaned as needed. For my money I've not found anything better for daily drivers. NXT lasts about 3-4 months fairly easy here in the midwest. What is the difference between M21 and NXT? Meguiar's is a trusted name in my garage. I've not heard of it, nor have I done much searching to replace the NXT because of the results I have obtained with it.

Just curious and I'm always open to newer better products if in fact they truly are.

I won't speak for Neurobit, but I'll offer my quick opinion. If memory serves me correctly, M21 and NXT 2.0 are virtually the same product, except M21 was designed to be able to be used with a rotary buffer (withstanding higher heat that occurred more quickly.) They are both excellent products and I would probably just choose whichever is cheaper if looking at those two. There are some anecdotal reports of people saying M21 lasts longer, but Meguiars said that probably is just an "eye of the beholder" thing there.

Users who are viewing this thread