5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rubbing noise with slight turns

db682

Reaction score
Subscribed. I've been dealing with this since I got my truck in April of 2019. Only seems to becoming a more common occurrence.

trp350

Reaction score
Does it sound like this. My truck is in shop for 3rd time. It’s now week four on the current visit. Problem is unknown and they have the videos.

3 different videos showing same problem.

Did you ever find the fix? I’m experiencing this now

Rams01

Reaction score
Bump. Me and a buddy both have this issue. New tires for myself (which are a 55 vs 45 sidewall) but friend is stock down to factory size tires and has metal on metal

trp350

Reaction score
Fixed mine. Replaced the rear diff fluid WITH mopars limited slip additive , if you have a lsd.
After replacing it worked 99% of the time with every so often a noise. Now it’s completely gone. Notified ram of my findings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trp350

Reaction score
Bump. Me and a buddy both have this issue. New tires for myself (which are a 55 vs 45 sidewall) but friend is stock down to factory size tires and has metal on metal

Hey bud, I replaced the rear diff fluid and new limited slip additive , if you have a lsd. All molar brand. After replacing it was gone 99% with a noise here and there. Now it’s completely gone. Notified ram of my findings.

Kozman23

Reaction score
Did anyone ever get this figured out? My 2019 Ram 1500 makes this "grinding" noise but only when turning right not left. Also I'm not sure if it is related but the outside of my front driver tire is wearing horribly. I have confirmed the tire is not contacting anything from full lock to full lock.

Thanks

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Greetings, @Kozman23

We're sorry to hear about your vehicle's grinding concerns and would like to offer our advice here. We recommend visiting your dealer as there may be a TSB that addresses this steering concern. Below is an attachment of TSB 03-003-21 and we recommend that you present this to your dealer technician to confirm if it does indeed apply. As always we also encourage you to start a private conversation with our team if seeking additional support.

1637588114037.png

Hannah
Ram Cares

Kozman23

Reaction score
Greetings, @Kozman23

We're sorry to hear about your vehicle's grinding concerns and would like to offer our advice here. We recommend visiting your dealer as there may be a TSB that addresses this steering concern. Below is an attachment of TSB 03-003-21 and we recommend that you present this to your dealer technician to confirm if it does indeed apply. As always we also encourage you to start a private conversation with our team if seeking additional support.

View attachment 111817

Hannah
Ram Cares
Thank you @RamCares, they ended up replacing the steering rack and now it's worse than ever, it binds up when turning. I have been back to the dealer (Prosper Ram, Prosper, TX) twice now for this and it's going back again this Thursday. They said they will open a star case to try and get it fixed. The really bad part about all this is the dealership is a newer one and hasn't been able to get any loaner cars so each time it goes in I am stuck for half or a full day. I hope they get it fixed this time or I'm done... I'm about to order a Ram 2500 Limited in addition to this truck for my business, but now I'm considering others...

Bl@ck_R@M_21

Reaction score
Happening with my 2021 Limited now. Same thing, slow speed turning right only.

Eraz3r

Reaction score

Having my dealers service center try this one on mine... will report back if it sorts the thing out.
Picked it up friday after the update - so far no more noise when turning right - and I've been running extra errands so I have more opportunities to turn right.

bzork2

Reaction score
Rear diffs, there are clutch plates in the rear. It is a big module in there, no gears to inspect, plug drain and fill only. My dodge dealer did the fluid change without documenting additive (friction modifier), that is when I first heard, felt this.. loud chatter in or outside truck... hoping dealer didn't toast my clutch plates now. I just replaced fluid with valvoline that has lsd additive already, it really calmed the noise down, when warm, no sounds, quieter when cold, sound more like brake moan but has to be the diff, only occurs in sharp turns.

juliussanorjo

Reaction score
Yes this is exactly it. They can never replicate the problem. I’ll be going in the fourth time as well and this time I’m going to ask if the tech can sit with me while I drive it.

Hi,

My truck is exactly doing the same thing now. Did you ever find what was causing it and what did you do to get it fixed? Thanks

juliussanorjo

Reaction score
Picked it up friday after the update - so far no more noise when turning right - and I've been running extra errands so I have more opportunities to turn right.
Hi, Did this TSB work? EPs update? Im going to my dealer next Monday and I will be suggesting this.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
TSB fixed mine. Show it to the dealer.

I actually had them apply all software updates available for all modules while it was in the shop

Users who are viewing this thread