5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rubbing noise with slight turns

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but it seemed appropriate. I’m getting a rubbing noise and vibration that I can feel in the wheel and on the floor when turning the wheel at low speeds (5-10 mph). It usually happens when turning onto a street or into a driveway. I’ve looked at some posts from the past but there hasn’t been a clear cut answer. I took it to the dealership 3 times. Twice asked them to take a look at the suspension to make sure everything looks good, 3rd time I told them about the issue but they can’t replicate the problem. I took a quick peek and instantly noticed some rub marks on both sides.
018100ddd8164a0b9f8e1a0cc8c71e68.jpg

c150243a62c6f7f92af74cf155acfa6c.jpg

I showed these to the technician and he said these are the bump stops and that it’s normal for them to rub. This looks like it would only hit on full lock but the rubbing happens while not even turning the wheel a full 360 degrees so I don’t know. I’m trying to fix the issue before I put on billsteins and a new wheel/tire combo because I don’t want them to blame it on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
20200628_195524.jpg Mine has the same mars on the metal lol I thought it was just me and thought it was due to the leveling kit I have on. But anyways, that isn't your issue... have you tried jacking up your truck and spinning the wheel? How do your upper control arms look?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get a similar issue to this. It only happens as I leave a parking spot I have been in for a few hours or so and turn as I leave it. Almost feels as if the brakes aren't fully releasing or something is rubbing but then goes away quickly.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To add to this though, my noise is definitely coming from the back. It really seems like its the automatic parking brake not retracting fully because it feels like brakes rubbing.

clazer

Reaction score
You’re experiencing two separate things. The marks are normal. They are the bump stops that you hit when fully turning. The rubbing At partial turn isn’t related to that at all. It’s likely contact with the mudflap at the rear of the front wheel well. There’s an article in the wheels and tire section - at the top in stickies. It may not be contact with the flap, but it’s not the bumpstop.

One thing I do is get my truck really dirty then look for the shiny spots from rubbing!

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’re experiencing two separate things. The marks are normal. They are the bump stops that you hit when fully turning. The rubbing At partial turn isn’t related to that at all. It’s likely contact with the mudflap at the rear of the front wheel well. There’s an article in the wheels and tire section - at the top in stickies. It may not be contact with the flap, but it’s not the bumpstop.

One thing I do is get my truck really dirty then look for the shiny spots from rubbing!

I think OP is still on stock wheels and tires. I wouldn’t expect him to have any rubbing if that’s the case? I have after market wheels but never had any rubbing before and this just started a month ago maybe.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think OP is still on stock wheels and tires. I wouldn’t expect him to have any rubbing if that’s the case? I have after market wheels but never had any rubbing before and this just started a month ago maybe.
Yea hes on stocks so why would it rub lol

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m still on stocks until I figure this out. Did a little more research. Some people said it’s the differential but I just changed the fluid. Some people said getting new tires fixed it so maybe I’m
Better off throwing my new set up on there. If it was the parking brake, I would think I’d hear it more often than just making slow turns. I’m going to take a look at my uca’s tomorrow as a user just suggested.

mopar2ltr

Reaction score
I had an issue recently and had to take my 2020 Ram Laramie 4wd into the dealer for noise from the rear of the truck when turning. Whe nit started I thought it was rubbing or power steering but eventually it was loud enough that I confirmed it was coming from the rear of the truck during hard left or right turns at low speeds. I brought it to the dealer the first thing they said is the lowering springs I put in caused the rubbing sound and they needed reinstalled for a cost. I agreed to the reinstall of the springs "at the dealers hourly rate which i would have to pay" knowing it was not the issue. With the springs swapped the noise was still there......Fast forward a few days they found the issue a defective rear carrier bearing which they replaced the noise is now gone....They also did not charge me for the spring install as it was not the issue.... Not sure if this helps just my experience

clazer

Reaction score
Yep, the point is that it ain’t the bump stops. It’s something else.

Ram’dit

Reaction score
Does it sound like this. My truck is in shop for 3rd time. It’s now week four on the current visit. Problem is unknown and they have the videos.

3 different videos showing same problem.

Reaction score
Does it sound like this. My truck is in shop for 3rd time. It’s now week four on the current visit. Problem is unknown and they have the videos.

Yes this is exactly it. They can never replicate the problem. I’ll be going in the fourth time as well and this time I’m going to ask if the tech can sit with me while I drive it.

Hazzie

Reaction score

This is my exact same issue as well. Have you opened a case with RamCares on this yet?

I took mine into a dealership almost two months ago and they could not replicate it. They could also not ride along with me due to COVID-precautions (understandable).

I plan to take similar videos and send to RamCares to get this resolved. It's an annoyance and something is not right.

Thanks!

Ram’dit

Reaction score
Yes. I have a case file as well. I’ve had it less than a month back from service and have heard/felt it 5 times.

Hazzie

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I quickly recorded this video this week replicating the same thing turning into a parking lot. I would estimate that I experience this at ~50% of my right hand turns that occur between 10-25 MPH.

If a dealer is passively responsive (due to COVID precautions), how does this problem get attention? This issue is very apparent with a few Google searches!

2019 Ram noise while turning.

talaramie

Reaction score
I have had the same problem as well with no answer to what it is. been to the dealer twice and nothing found. I have a 2019 laramie sport.

mthird

Reaction score
Maybe a silly comment, but all three times I heard something like this I was in 4wd auto.

DanRam

Reaction score
mthird, i have the same thing you described when I’m 4wd auto. been wondering if that’s an issue.

talaramie

Reaction score
They ordered a new rack and replaced all bushing and end links will le5 you know if the rack fixes the problem

Users who are viewing this thread