5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ROUGH starts on cold starts?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No magic bottle of additive is going to fix it. The techron is nothing more than a fuel system cleaner. So if it does "fix" the issue, then it was just dirty injectors and pretty much any fuel system cleaner will work. I personally prefer the Lucas Oil brand as it has been the only one that has actually made quantifiable improvements after using

MikeS54

Reaction score
You referring to the Fuel cleaner or Oil additive for Lucas Oil? Shoot, at this point I'm open to throwing both in there, haha

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You referring to the Fuel cleaner or Oil additive for Lucas Oil? Shoot, at this point I'm open to throwing both in there, haha
I don't use any oil additives. If you are using good quality oil, you should not need any additional additives.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I were you I would check your cylinder head for any stress fractures or cracks. This happened to me for months then one night i had an engine misfire on cylinder 3. dealership said it was a faulty fuel injector and 1 month after having a new fuel injector installed my truck started stalling on cold starts and ended up being a cracked cylinder head. My truck has been at the dealership since July 6th and the part has still yet to arrive at the dealership. Called FCA and started a claim to see if they could expedite the part and they've been useless so far. 44K miles on my engine and i've had an engine misfire , both exhaust manifolds cracked, and a cracked cylinder head. My lease ends in october and I will be handing them back the keys and walking away from Ram.

MikeS54

Reaction score
Oh wow, that's not fun. Hopefully they get that fixed soon. This morning it sputtered again and I finally got a check engine light on. So when I get home, I can see what the code reads.

MikeS54

Reaction score
Ugh, code P0456 small EVAP leak. You know, I don't think I noticed any issues until right after the dealer changed my oil.

2020Larrie

Reaction score
I went through a full tank of techron, or three bottles, no change because of that.

MikeS54

Reaction score
The ODB report I had from my ODB mate app says every cylinder except 5 has at least one noted misfire. Ugh, this isn't gonna be fun is it. Have dealer appointment Saturday

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try this procedure guys. It worked for me and haven’t had a rough start since.

OPTION TWO-RESET TPS & ACCELERATOR PEDAL (did once and works great so far)
1-Foot OFF of the brake and accelerator pedal
2-Press the START BUTTON until the RUN position is achieved but DO NOT start the vehicle. (If you do, turn off, open door and let everything reset before restarting).
3-Wait until all the instrument panels idiot/cycle lights go OUT (Check Engine light may stay on)
4-Slowly press the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and then slowly let off. I think a steady and consistent motion is best.
5a-Press START BUTTON again to turn everything off. (Open Door?) Start the truck as normal. That should recalibrate the pedal so that you are using its full range of motion in synch with the throttle body's opening.
or
5b-Press Brake pedal and START BUTTON to start truck."

MikeS54

Reaction score
Thanks @Condor757 I'll make note of that in case my trip to the dealer doesn't work.
So I spent about 90 mins at the dealer today and they've said that they're familiar with the issue as I wasn't the first case. They checked the code P0456 and verified there was no leak. They said they reprogrammed the PCM and updated the system. They referred this all to TSB 18 074 20, for those interested. I'll see if I have the issue next week, haha. Hopefully it's been corrected.

M. Scarn

Reaction score
*Sigh* I can't beleive I am back here. It's been a good year since I had this problem. I waited 3 years before making any real upgrades to tires and rims, etc. because I was never sure I was going keep this lemon. Tomorrow I am scheduled for new 33's, new rims and a 2- inch level. So out of spite this stupid truck is acting up again. I do see a lot of activity since I posed this so hopefully some potential fixes out there. Aug 2021 Ram Stall Video

2020Larrie

Reaction score
I hate to add a failure, mine, even with the oil additive, just yesterday started rough starting cold and coughing for a few beats after it is put into gear. It has significantly cooled off, now around 50's in the AM, very humid. Was around 70's in the AM with no issue. Back to no idea if oil, or fuel. It sure acts like fuel issue but knowing this thing ran fine day after lube mod, sure seems funny it worked for a month fine. Unless Lucas goes bad after 1000 miles...

I will try the Condor757 run mode with no start then pedal depress then real start method.

2020Larrie

Reaction score
Mike did the TSB solve the issue, you have not been back ill pm.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Located in North Austin, Texas and the truck details are in the OP.

Looking at all possible angles at this point. The only constants I can think of are the location and the weather (roughly).

My driveway is on an incline (estimated >10 degree), I back into the drive, and the pickup has a heavy rake to the front end.
Could this be allowing fluids to settle at a bad angle/area and cause the issue?

The weather has been very humid and hot as it has been raining daily for the last week or more.
Could rainwater+high humidity+standard condensation be draining downhill from the exhaust tips forward and making some sensor trip out or something?
I've noticed it a few times. I'm up in Montana. My 2015 NEVER ONCE did it.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There must be a module that is not waking up. Mine has been okay since pressing the start button twice to the run position, then starting the truck. Lots of gremlins for a vehicle that is a threepeat for truck of the year

2020Larrie

Reaction score
Called dealer in my small town, can't get in for 6 weeks. WTF. They are also advertising for mechanics, I ought to apply.
Taking it down to a big town then for the TSB which I bet takes 15 minutes.

Really odd how the lucas seemed to fix this the very next day, then almost 30 days to the day, it starts back up worse than before.

bigdaddymac

Reaction score
Mine has also started to do it again and its getting worse. My dealer used to be great but they let the whole service dept go recently so I am dreading taking it in.

2020Larrie

Reaction score
Chapman in Az is my dealer. Went in after being told by their phone bank earliest appt was end of Sep, 6 weeks away. My service writer who is great, says they just started a new phone bank this week as a test. I told him it failed. He said he could get me in Friday, two days away. That is some messed up IT. No worries, decided truck no longer needed, as it did its job of moving me from house to house and move 50,000lbs of construction stuff. Trading smaller to jeep. Probably last post 5th gen, take care thanks for all your help.

2020Larrie

Reaction score
Unfor
Mine has also started to do it again and its getting worse. My dealer used to be great but they let the whole service dept go recently so I am dreading taking it in.
unfortunately I see you have a tuner and 35's.

When I went in to have them rescan for 34's, they said no way. I said they had no issue rescanning my jeep to larger tires for free. They said, it's not a jeep, sorry. I asked about using a tuner and they said unlike a jeep which they allow mods and don't care (tire size, axle, etc) the ram is "locked". If you modify the coding they will deny warranty work. Even something as simple as tire size. So I had to swap tires back to stock. Even if you reload the stock oem computer, they can tell it's been changed, and void the warranty. Magnusson Moss act aside, they force you to sue them over the warranty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread