5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotary dial conversion

Oneservant

Reaction score
Anyone convert/exchange the rotary dial to the console shifter (ref 5th gen)?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe someone has done it in the Mods sub forum. Not really rebel specific. Used TRX parts and it was expensive for the coolness.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yesz a few people have. As mentioned, not the cheapest conversion just to have a console shifter that eliminates over half the storage in your center console

cliffsta

Reaction score
If it would’ve been easy to go the other way, I may have ordered a GT then ditched the console shifter. Would’ve loved the center seats.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, paddles with the dial make perfect sense to me. I want to be able to shift, not just limit gears.

Having both paddles and console shifter seems redundant... how much control do we need over an automatic transmission?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree, if I could’ve had paddles along with my dial shift from my last Ram, that would’ve been excellent. As for having paddles and a console shifter, I find that I alternate between both during any drive, depending on traffic and conditions, so much so that it’s almost 2nd nature.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I disagree with paddles. In fact I disagree with steering wheel controls in general. This is not a race car, and I often wear gloves, sometimes heavy ones. I would hate paddles. I also don't like tiny buttons that require me to look away from the road to find them. Gear controls belong on the shifter, which belongs where I can reach it and operate it by feel, regardless of whether it is a dial, lever, or buttons.

raygun9

Reaction score
I'd love to do this..

The other thread is here:

Oneservant

Reaction score
Yesz a few people have. As mentioned, not the cheapest conversion just to have a console shifter that eliminates over half the storage in your center console
Thanks. If it was cheap, I suspect everyone would do it. If anyone is using all of the storage space in their ram console, they've got a hoarding issue. I have ½ a dozen different hookups to my truck. Backing up a lot, I appreciate a shifter.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. If it was cheap, I suspect everyone would do it. If anyone is using all of the storage space in their ram console, they've got a hoarding issue. I have ½ a dozen different hookups to my truck. Backing up a lot, I appreciate a shifter.
Not sure how a shifter effects your ability to back up.

Sportznut

Reaction score
I will gladly take the storage space over the shifter. I use the storage space a lot. Mainly when I stop to get food on trips, it gives me a place to put the bag and have it handy. I also hide a tupperware dish under there to use for garbage.

If you can't adjust to the dial within a couple of weeks, you have bigger issues with your coordination.

But I do get it, some people just like the feel and/or look of a conventional shifter. To each his own.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I will gladly take the storage space over the shifter. I use the storage space a lot. Mainly when I stop to get food on trips, it gives me a place to put the bag and have it handy. I also hide a tupperware dish under there to use for garbage.

If you can't adjust to the dial within a couple of weeks, you have bigger issues with your coordination.

But I do get it, some people just like the feel and/or look of a conventional shifter. To each his own.

That was mainly what I used all that Console space for in my last ram - carrying take out. I suppose if I had a console safe, I might miss that little bit of extra space, but I don’t and I don’t.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So here's a related thought. :unsure: Some of us might be happier with the rotary if it were mounted where we could reach it without having to lean forward. If all its connections are electrical, it wouldn't take that much to relocate it to the console for example, and no programming needed. Maybe move the 4WD controls, too. And if you wanted to, you could even swap the knob to a short lever. :)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So here's a related thought. :unsure: Some of us might be happier with the rotary if it were mounted where we could reach it without having to lean forward. If all its connections are electrical, it wouldn't take that much to relocate it to the console for example, and no programming needed. Maybe move the 4WD controls, too. And if you wanted to, you could even swap the knob to a short lever. :)
Sounds like some of y'all need longer arms. Lol. I don't have to lean forward to move mine. Set your pedals closer to firewall and push steering wheel in, then move your seat up

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, at the risk of exposing my manspreading, I hate the entire bump out of the dash right there. I sit close like nascar, and that's the best I can do. Also, I have accidently turned the knob from reverse to park while moving numerous times, thinking I would cut power and coast to a stop backing out of my driveway. And I have had to look a couple of times at the volume, gear knob, and hvac knob, and then forget what I was looking for. So, does that mean I'm getting old? 🤣

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like some of y'all need longer arms. Lol. I don't have to lean forward to move mine. Set your pedals closer to firewall and push steering wheel in, then move your seat up
I ran the pedals as far down as they would go, then adjusted the seat for comfort (and I like it fairly upright). Steering wheel ended up most of the way forward, and I am still maybe eight inches from the shift dial. Would be much handier for me if it were in the console.

Followup - I measured it and is actually close to seven inches. That's with arm in normal driving position. If I straighten my elbow out and rotate my shoulder blade forward a little, I can actually rotate the knob with fingertips. So it's close, and not horrible, but not quite comfortable either. Wonder if a dashboard extender is a thing that could be 3D printed.

I probably won't do anything about it on mine, but I can see how the ergonomics might be less optimal for some users.

Last edited:

Oneservant

Reaction score

sportzNut, good to know you like storage space. you could use ram's bag hooks, which are designed for your food bags and you'd save on tupperware cost. or, just put the bag in the pax seat like the rest of America. either way, i could care less since that's not what this thread's about. if you can contribute to the thread with some meaningful how-to info/insight on converting from the rotary dial to the shifter, much obliged, else leave the "coordination" diagnosis to those who work in the medical field.

Oneservant

Reaction score
Not sure how a shifter effects your ability to back up.
I didn't say if effects my ability to back up, only that I appreciate one because I back up. If for this reason you can't see why I'd appreciate one - all else being equal - conduct your own experiment over a 30-day period towing multiple attachments, backing up with the attachments in between other attachments, both day and night, sometimes on uneven surfaces, in tight spaces in and out of a barn or other storage place. Or build a simulation model to do so. Let me know if afterwards (1) you can see how this affects your ability to back up, (2) if you appreciate the shifter over the rotary dial.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't say if effects my ability to back up, only that I appreciate one because I back up. If for this reason you can't see why I'd appreciate one - all else being equal - conduct your own experiment over a 30-day period towing multiple attachments, backing up with the attachments in between other attachments, both day and night, sometimes on uneven surfaces, in tight spaces in and out of a barn or other storage place. Or build a simulation model to do so. Let me know if afterwards (1) you can see how this affects your ability to back up, (2) if you appreciate the shifter over the rotary dial.
You are just used to a console shifter. Doesn't mean one is better than the other, when it comes to ability to do the job

Users who are viewing this thread