5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotary dial conversion

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I didn't say if effects my ability to back up, only that I appreciate one because I back up. If for this reason you can't see why I'd appreciate one - all else being equal - conduct your own experiment over a 30-day period towing multiple attachments, backing up with the attachments in between other attachments, both day and night, sometimes on uneven surfaces, in tight spaces in and out of a barn or other storage place. Or build a simulation model to do so. Let me know if afterwards (1) you can see how this affects your ability to back up, (2) if you appreciate the shifter over the rotary dial.

Actually, you just did.

The location of the shifter has nothing to do with the actual function of backing the truck. You're making it seem like it's more difficult to back up in challenging situations, because of the location of the shifter. Admittedly, the rotary shifter does take some getting used to after having used console shifters for many years. It took me a few weeks to be able to shift from one gear to another without looking at the knob and making sure I was in the proper gear. Now, I can reach up and select any gear without looking at the knob or gear indicator.

Oneservant

Reaction score
You are just used to a console shifter. Doesn't mean one is better than the other, when it comes to ability to do the job
You assume a lot... in fact, too much. How do you know I'm used to a console shifter and where did you hear me say it's better than the dial?

Oneservant

Reaction score
Actually, you just did.

The location of the shifter has nothing to do with the actual function of backing the truck. You're making it seem like it's more difficult to back up in challenging situations, because of the location of the shifter. Admittedly, the rotary shifter does take some getting used to after having used console shifters for many years. It took me a few weeks to be able to shift from one gear to another without looking at the knob and making sure I was in the proper gear. Now, I can reach up and select any gear without looking at the knob or gear indicator.
You're right about one thing, you spend too much time on here. Now, if you have something meaningful to add to the thread, pls do so. Otherwise, my comment was between A and B and yours was a wasted minute of my time I can't get back.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You assume a lot... in fact, too much. How do you know I'm used to a console shifter and where did you hear me say it's better than the dial?
It's inferred from your comment saying "backing up a lot, I appreciate the shifter". Which one can easily take to mean, you feel there is an issue with the dial that bothers you when backing. Meaning you feel the shifter is better.

Oneservant

Reaction score
It's inferred from your comment saying "backing up a lot, I appreciate the shifter". Which one can easily take to mean, you feel there is an issue with the dial that bothers you when backing. Meaning you feel the shifter is better.
Wow! You got a heck of an imagination! No need for me to mean or feel anything. I say what I mean to say. Hence, if I felt the shifter was better, I'd say so.

Oneservant

Reaction score
How your vehicle shifts into reverse has no bearing on your level of skill at backing the vehicle. If you're have difficulties, more practice is in order.

Steve
If I were having difficulties backing up, I wouldn't. Aside from that, what datum or data do you have to support your hypothesis? Also, I'd be interested if you have converted from the rotary dial to the shifter.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Definitely don’t have to lean forward to operate any of my trucks controls. Rotary knob is nice imo to save space.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm seeing a common theme in the replies that OP is denying, as if everyone else is wrong. If multiple people picked up on the same thing and are replying in kind, it's a safe assumption that the wording of the post they are replying to leads then to that conclusion.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The rotary shifter sucks. Nothing in this thread is going to change it, nor is anything in their thread going to give op a console or column mounted shifter. There are a few threads with the conversion to the console mounted shifter that op is welcome to read and Retrofit if they wish.

If I had an option to get a column or console mounted shifter I would of taken it, but I didn't. I changed the knob to an ajt design which does have a better solid feel to it, and it is what it is.

I can not use it safely without looking at it for reverse even after using is for almost a full year. A handful of times I have had it in the incorrect setting without noticing which could be dangerous. But it is what it is.
I'm not going to spend $2000 to swap it out. Would much rather have a column shifter that essentially takes up no space but ram doesn't offer it.

Av1

Reaction score
The rotary shifter was a bit strange to get used to at first.

I didn't like it. But now, I much prefer it.

It opens up so much more useable space.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The rotary shifter was a bit strange to get used to at first.

I didn't like it. But now, I much prefer it.

It opens up so much more useable space.
How does it open space compared to a normal truck's column shifter on the steering wheel?

Av1

Reaction score
How does it open space compared to a normal truck's column shifter on the steering wheel?

Think before you type. Good grief.

What was the topic of this thread?

edit: even I'm getting sidetracked as the op didn't ask for opinions on what is best.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Think before you type. Good grief.

What was the topic of this thread?

edit: even I'm getting sidetracked as the op didn't ask for opinions on what is best.

Rotary dial conversion​

lol yep.

I wonder if it can be converted to a button like some other vehicles. Still would be better then the rotary. Maybe have some of the plastic come forward so you can feel which button is which mode. Kind of like the transfer case buttons.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Rotary dial conversion​

lol yep.

I wonder if it can be converted to a button like some other vehicles. Still would be better then the rotary. Maybe have some of the plastic come forward so you can feel which button is which mode. Kind of like the transfer case buttons.
Not sure about your knob, but mine has detents for each position so you can feel what position it's in. If you started in Park one click is reversed and three is drive. Just like any shifter. If you are in drive and want to go to reversed two clicks and you are there

Oneservant

Reaction score
I'm seeing a common theme in the replies that OP is denying, as if everyone else is wrong. If multiple people picked up on the same thing and are replying in kind, it's a safe assumption that the wording of the post they are replying to leads then to that conclusion.
You have a heckuvan imagination! Why don't you actually go through this thread and count your reply and the number of "everyone else" against what you assume "OP is denying." After that, I'd like for you to make some valuable contribution to the thread. And some time later, private message me b/c I'd really like to understand how you define assumptions with respect to descriptive and inferential statistics.

Users who are viewing this thread