5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

imacreative

Reaction score
I just read an email from the shop and they claim that I would need the 6’4” bed to do the conversion. Is that true?

Dixit

Reaction score
I just read an email from the shop and they claim that I would need the 6’4” bed to do the conversion. Is that true?

100% false
Mines a Shorty. Fit fine. They come stock like this too. That shop clearly didn’t do their research.

Dixit

Reaction score
That’s what I thought. did yours come with 33 or did you do the swap?

Mine came with a 26gal. I did the swap to a 33gal. My dad has identical truck as me and he got it stock with a 33gal. So I used his as a base to see how stuff was run as well.

My pics and info and how to are all over this thread earlier on. I haven’t followed it much as this thread is somewhat getting long and hard to follow now and since I’ve done it I don’t watch this thread as much now.

MaxCarnage

Reaction score

100% false as said above. 5'7" beds have them factory 33 gallon. I wouldn't trust who you are talking to. Sounds like they don't know much.

MaxCarnage

Reaction score
As a requested here's a picture of what my dealer gave me when the recalibration was done. The blacked out spot is where your VIN should be. I'm not sure what the "Auto Relock" part is, I haven't been able to get an answer from my dealer about that. It doesn't seemed to have changed any lock settings that I'm aware of (so far).

After the dealer recalibrates your DTE, this is what your proof of the DTE fix should look like.

Last edited:

interwebposts

Reaction score
Go look at my post here.
I had the same thing rattling around but mine had a pipe on it that looked clearly broken on one end. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what it was. I even used my phone to take pictures down inside the tank and couldn't find where it went. I eventually just gave up, mounted the tank, and went on my merry way. I now have just over 8,000 miles since the conversion and the only issue was the vent tube coming off once right after the 1st tank fill.
Thanks for the link and info. It's reassuring you've had no problems but also very odd and kinda worrying this specific item is floating around broken in the tanks with no obvious 'home'. Your example seems to have busted at an attached plastic pipe where mine did so lower down. I may get creative and video in there tossing in a phone and a light to see if I can find that pipe attached to something.

If it is something they designed to be in there it seems to be a pretty delicate fixture. My tank arrived 'bare' with no box or anything and I'm guessing it was dropped and handled roughly given how awkward and heavy-ish it is.

imacreative

Reaction score
Anyone located in Austin or San Antonio, Texas that have done this swap? I’m still calling around equips with the data from this forum and references, but haven’t received any feedback or they would just say they can’t do it.

interwebposts

Reaction score
Go look at my post here.
I had the same thing rattling around but mine had a pipe on it that looked clearly broken on one end. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what it was. I even used my phone to take pictures down inside the tank and couldn't find where it went. I eventually just gave up, mounted the tank, and went on my merry way. I now have just over 8,000 miles since the conversion and the only issue was the vent tube coming off once right after the 1st tank fill.

It appears to have been an attachment at the large 'plug' at the bottom of this image:

00.jpg

This is the same point where the internal line affixed.

01.jpg

Fre043

Reaction score
Can anyone quote or list parts needed to convert a 19 rebel with a 23 gallon to 33? Yes I’d like the skid plate as well.

scrolling through these pages and part numbers is making my brain tingle...

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone quote or list parts needed to convert a 19 rebel with a 23 gallon to 33? Yes I’d like the skid plate as well.

scrolling through these pages and part numbers is making my brain tingle...
On page 6, Dixit details the parts he used. On page 7, he details the procedure with some great pictures. I used those as reference when I changed my 23 gallon tank out. Also on page 7 is my detailed parts list and procedure with a couple pictures as well. That should pretty much tell you what you need to know. Later in this thread I detail how I have a source for a custom third tank strap bracket. If you need it, I can get you in touch with him. Hope that helps. It’s a great modification and well worth doing in my opinion.

J-barcarp

54 year old teenager
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How do i know if i have a 23 or 26?
cant recall exactly how much gas i put in it .
sticker doesnt say.
it does say z23 package.
its a “north” edition 2019.

eta… figured it out thanks to dts828. I have a 26 gal tank.

Last edited:

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do i know if i have a 23 or 26?
cant recall exactly how much gas i put in it .
sticker doesnt say.
it does say z23 package.
its a “north” edition 2019.
Best way is check your build sheet(not window sticker) . It will tell you everything that was put in your truck on the assembly line. Search the forum for the website address and insert your vin#.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man that cost of the fuel pump has increased tremendously. I thought about ordering this and getting it done before my trip, but with the pump being almost $400, I'll wait for a little longer.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For anybody that has done the swap, does this fuel pump look to be complete? Thought about going with a used one if it's worth it.

imacreative

Reaction score
So not one of the dealers here in the San Antonio, Texas area is willing to do the swap. I guess Plan B is to go through Alpha ODB. Still in search for someone here in Sa or in Austin that can do the swap for me.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So not one of the dealers here in the San Antonio, Texas area is willing to do the swap. I guess Plan B is to go through Alpha ODB. Still in search for someone here in Sa or in Austin that can do the swap for me.
You might want to look at tackling this on your own. Do you have a 26 gallon tank or 23?

imacreative

Reaction score
You might want to look at tackling this on your own. Do you have a 26 gallon tank or 23?
Hi. I have a 23 gallon tank. I also don't trust myself to do this correctly nor do I have the space or time. I also don't have a pc for the software.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi. I have a 23 gallon tank. I also don't trust myself to do this correctly nor do I have the space or time. I also don't have a pc for the software.
Ah ok, yeah you are going to need a fuel pump too then. Makes sense, I haven't done it to my truck yet so I'm no help. Doesn't look too hard though, I just started to order parts.

Users who are viewing this thread