5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Requested to change rims on Limited, dealer says it will void warranty?

Bher

Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing a 2020 Limited (blacked out package). I love the truck, but requested that they switch out the rims to the smaller black 20” rims that come on the big horn...sales guy says it voids the warranty.

Is this true? Seems fishy to me...

SB09

Reaction score
If there was anything they could show simply switching to another OEM caused an issue with, maybe. I don’t think there’s any scenario that comes to mind on what could cause an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He's lying to you. My dealer offered to do that on my Laramie when I complained about the 20 inch wheels that came with the off-road group. No mention of a warranty issue. In the end I kept the 20 inch wheels, but the offer was made by my sales person.

KRField

Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing a 2020 Limited (blacked out package). I love the truck, but requested that they switch out the rims to the smaller black 20” rims that come on the big horn...sales guy says it voids the warranty.

Is this true? Seems fishy to me...

No, the sales guy doesn’t want to fool with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you love the truck I would speak with the sales manager and tell him your request to swap the wheels and that your salesman said it will void the warranty, if he agrees I’d run out of there and find another dealer.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Only if it leads to damage for that particular part or neighboring parts, not the whole truck. My dealership lifts trucks and puts them on giant aftermarket wheels and A/T tires with a warranty. Overcharging of course :)

When I got a new muffler installed, I checked with my service advisor about the warranty, I told him I intended to have the stock muffler cut out and another one welded in place. He said that's actually better than the direct fit kits which can come lose over time, and that the exhaust system after the new muffler would no longer be under warranty due to the modifications made, but nothing else would be voided. Which seems very reasonable to me.

As for your aftermarket wheels, that doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the truck, so it shouldn't void your warranty. If your aftermarket wheels somehow cause damage to the suspension (don't know how), it won't be covered. But the rest of your truck should be fine.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Wait if I am understanding OP correctly he’s not trying to go aftermarket, he just wants the 20” wheels from another Ram truck. Definitely can be done, or if you really want get the truck as is and swap for someone. I’m sure there are folks on here dying to obtain those wheels.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Sounds like BS to me. One of the more common dealer add-ons when I worked at a Toyota dealer was chromed wheels in place of the brushed aluminum. They also installed a lot of aftermarket wheels with those little bitty splined lugnuts. And then fail to tell the owner, so he had zero clue where the socket was, or if he even had one! But that's Sales. In five years of dealing with warranty crap on a daily basis, I can't think of a single instance where a problem was blamed on the wheels. We had a couple with weird noises that baffled us, and we swapped wheels and tires for some factory ones for a test drive, but the problems weren't the wheels.

Last edited:

Bher

Reaction score
Wait if I am understanding OP correctly he’s not trying to go aftermarket, he just wants the 20” wheels from another Ram truck. Definitely can be done, or if you really want get the truck as is and swap for someone. I’m sure there are folks on here dying to obtain those wheels.
That’s correct, I just like the smaller rims that come on the Big Horn better than the 22s. Good point, I would be OK with a swap!

PorBoy

Reaction score
Definitely the post your location as I’m sure folks will be standing in line to make this happen.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
That’s correct, I just like the smaller rims that come on the Big Horn better than the 22s. Good point, I would be OK with a swap!

Missed the part with OEM wheels, as mentioned above, put out an ad, you will have a lot of people who would be happy to make that happen.

Brockb10

Reaction score
From a dealership perspective this is definitely something they can do. If you want it done you will most likely talk to the sales manager as someone else mentioned. When I got my truck a few weeks ago I overheard a whole similar situation like this happening.

A guy was buying a Wrangler Sahara and wanted the wheels and tires from a Rubicon (he ended up doing it to make the sale) It has nothing to do with warranty. The biggest push back you will get from the sales manager is that the car (you’re removing from) has already had pictures taken and is online with the rims you want to take and on the window sticker it’ll list out 20” but you’re going to end up swapping them to your 22”s. These are both simple and easy fixes if the sales manager isn’t lazy and wants the sale.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Lazy salesman! It's a win win for the dealership too, they mark up the donor vehicle that now has the bigger rims. Mine was more than happy to switch out the 20's for 18's

rebel without a cause

Reaction score
Anything done by an authorized dealership or professional done to your vehicle will not alter warranty. Tires, rims, lift kits, autostarts, oil changes etc... Your salesman, dealership should be happy to do it, its extra money for them.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
WOW!...of all the crazy crap dealer salespeople spit out, that's about the dumbest thing I've heard...different OEM wheels will void a warranty???? guess I better run out and remove my Weather tech mudguards...probably voided my warranty. Guy's an idiot to say that.

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
FWIW, a dealer told me the same thing when I was looking at a Laramie. If you build a Laramie on tht Ram website, it gives you 20" polished rims with black inserts (multispoke) and for some reason, there are tons of Laramies which have the regular, 20" (5 spoke rim). I asked if they could switch to tht sport Rim, and they said no dice.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doesn't void the warranty, they just don't want to front the bill.
Just tell the sales man, "Man, I'd really love the truck, but want the other wheels." You'd be surprised at what some of our salesmen do (and it is pretty upsetting at times for the techs).

as others have said, post up for a local trade with another person -- I'd like the 22" Limited Rims for mine, because the 22"s that I could have ordered online during my build experience I did not like at all (so stuck with the 20"s)

Users who are viewing this thread