5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Requested to change rims on Limited, dealer says it will void warranty?

Jrsem0317

Reaction score
It does "void" the warranty of the wheels as they are not the ones vin'd to the truck. I had this experience with my '18 Sierra Denali. It came with black wheels and I had the dealer switch to chrome accessory wheels that were in the parts showroom when the truck was new. less than a year later when the chrome was peeling GM would not warranty because the truck vin showed black wheels as what it was built with.

With that being said the dealership stepped up and made it right with me.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
of the wheels, sure .. not the truck.

They wouldn't warranty those chrome, no .. didn't want to pay for them and you purchased as-is off the showroom floor.

Another reason I moved away from GM (and I've been with them since I was a teen) -- glad the dealership helped you, though!

DevinB

Reaction score
Strategic lies, pure ignorance, or laziness. I'm doing nearly the same thing on my ordered Limited. Even ordering new OEM wheels/tires through their parts department, and wheel/tire combo has the same outer-diameter as the ones that will come on it. Like you, moving from 22's stock to 20's OEM with OEM size tires, same as comes on their trucks with the Off Road Group...just couldn't get the ORG package with my other packages. Dealer and Service dept said no problem and they will swap them out.

And honestly, if you get a new/inexperienced sales person which is often the case as there's high turnover in those sales positions, it's probably the pure ignorance option above. They often know less than you do about the vehicle and just parrot with other senior salesmen or sales managers tell them to say in certain situations, which they often misapply.

Last edited:

DevinB

Reaction score
It does "void" the warranty of the wheels as they are not the ones vin'd to the truck. I had this experience with my '18 Sierra Denali. It came with black wheels and I had the dealer switch to chrome accessory wheels that were in the parts showroom when the truck was new. less than a year later when the chrome was peeling GM would not warranty because the truck vin showed black wheels as what it was built with.

With that being said the dealership stepped up and made it right with me.
Truth, but if you order new OEM wheels through Mopar and especially through a dealer (yes it will cost more), they should come with their own warranty. Wonder what that is? At any rate, if the TS is worried about wheels issues from trades, etc, just pay a bit more and order them all official-like and sell your stock ones.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want to get an extra Wheel for my Spare Tire to match the rest.
2021 Laramie Night Edition with Off Road Package 20" wheels.

Malodave

RSConsulting

Reaction score
As others have said - lazy salesman - with an EXCUSE.

Trucks come with "packages" - we cannot order "a la carte" anymore. Arrange a swap with someone here - or have them ORDER THE NEW WHEELS AND TIRES, PAY FOR THEM - have them installed pre-delivery. Then SELL the 22" Wheel/Tire set as brand new take-offs. You should make most (if not ALL) of your $$ back. The issue is finding a local buyer or someone who will pick them up (or meet you 1/2-way) as these are going to cost big $$ to ship.

The "rolling diameter" of the factory whee/tires are the same - so the speedo won't be affected and it most certainly will not void your warranty.

Now - if you went with HUGE OVERSIZE and the INCORRECT OFFSET and damaged the truck - THAT wouldn't be covered as a warranty repair.

This is honestly one of THE.DUMBEST.THINGS I've heard come out of a salesmans mouth - and BASED ON THAT ALONE - I would find another dealership. I have NO PATIENCE for B.S. - one lie, and I'm GONE.

I run into the SAME THING every time I order a new vehicle. I think the last time I could order one - EXACTLY THE WAY I WANTED - was 2002 - a 2500 Suburban (that last year of the 2500 Suburbans - should have KEPT THAT ONE). But it was ordered with each individual option.

At least - with some manufacturers, you can UPGRADE a lower option package with items from the up-package. I have a new Yukon Denali XL Diesel on order. I got the Premium package and up-ordered the tow group and air suspension (because I didn't want the screens on the backs of the seats) - the difference in price was the same as if I had added the screens to the premium (versus just getting the ultimate). Frustrated because I wanted the "sliding console", which isn't an option with the 2nd row BENCH SEAT (versus the bucket seats) even though I measured and the slider won't hit the seat. C'est La Vie'.

Best of luck...

Rick

KCViper

Reaction score
I ordered my truck with the night package and discovered the rims (black) come with chrome lug nuts....?? Why??!! Told the SA that I would only accept black lug nuts and he said he would make that happen. Wonder if this will void my warranty!!? Sheesh......

Grimey

Reaction score
6aced70b3fd94410c103aa204cc09434.jpg

339ce35598feff2ff72721d2611fb4ee.jpg

Purchased my truck from the dealership like this. It also has an aftermarket exhaust which came loose one day. Dealer fixed it at no cost to me.
It can be done if you find the right dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redneck

Reaction score
Strategic lies, pure ignorance, or laziness. I'm doing nearly the same thing on my ordered Limited. Even ordering new OEM wheels/tires through their parts department, and wheel/tire combo has the same outer-diameter as the ones that will come on it. Like you, moving from 22's stock to 20's OEM with OEM size tires, same as comes on their trucks with the Off Road Group...just couldn't get the ORG package with my other packages. Dealer and Service dept said no problem and they will swap them out.

And honestly, if you get a new/inexperienced sales person which is often the case as there's high turnover in those sales positions, it's probably the pure ignorance option above. They often know less than you do about the vehicle and just parrot with other senior salesmen or sales managers tell them to say in certain situations, which they often misapply.
so true about the sales person most are lazy & ignorant my sales guy only lasted 3 weeks at the dealership just long enough to make my sale & i knew way more than he did about the truck & i only researched it for 7 days before going in .

RSConsulting

Reaction score
so true about the sales person most are lazy & ignorant my sales guy only lasted 3 weeks at the dealership just long enough to make my sale & i knew way more than he did about the truck & i only researched it for 7 days before going in .
^^^^^ THIS

I research stuff TO DEATH (I'm kinda OCD). I already have all the owners manuals and tech bulletins by the time I go to kick tires. Constantly showing the salesman features they didn't know existed. In their defense (as if car salesman were defensible), they typically have a number of cars/models/trim levels to familiarize themselves with. Especially in the case of One-Stop FCA dealerships - where they're selling RAM, Dodge, Chrysler & Jeep lines.

That's a lot of stuff to try and absorb. For OCD/Evil Genius's - it's one thing. For high school drop-outs it's another.

I was in my GMC dealer, discussing order constraints on options with the GM - we were throwing option production codes back and forth at each other. Told me I was the first customer in 25 years at that dealership - that actually understood how that stuff worked. HE OFFERED ME A JOB. NO THANKS.

We should feel lucky that Ram isn't experiencing any production constraints and C-19 issues slowing production parts suppliers down somewhat - production times are still close to what they were before C-19. My GMC guy has LITERALLY NOTHING on the lot. It was full of new Terrains, Sierras and Yukons a month ago. They have like a dozen cars on the lot - and the salesmen are sitting around playing gin. Nothing to sell, most orders are held up on option constraints. MY ORDER is held up for Max Tow Package (NHT), and you can't get the Air Ride Suspension (F47) without the Tow Package (and I want both anyways). I could be in my new SUV in 6 weeks if I drop that option. Too bad I REALLY NEED/WANT BOTH. Too bad they USED ALL THE MICROCHIPS in Playstations and Tablets and don't have enough for the automotive industry...

Rick

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I ordered my truck with the night package and discovered the rims (black) come with chrome lug nuts....?? Why??!! Told the SA that I would only accept black lug nuts and he said he would make that happen. Wonder if this will void my warranty!!? Sheesh......
Better not plastidip them, warranty will be voided for the entire truck and your next one too!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
would not void the warranty. would violate the monroney sticker though. dealer could offer to give you a set of rims after sale and credit you for your current rims on a "we owe".

Jrhunt223

Reaction score
Notes from my current case against FCA for termination or warranty on my 2020 RAM 2500
@46k miles I had an oil related diesel engine failure. All dealer service was completed at all proper service intervals per the manufactures recommendations and my warranty was still terminated and I am currently fighting a repair bill for a diesel engine rebuild. As if my tires had anything to do with the oil problem... also they have claimed in litigation that my truck has a lift kit that is not nor ever has been installed on the vehicle. Picture attached as proof! I simply changed the wheels and tires and they terminated my full warranty.

Restriction of warranty:​
In addition, FCA US LLC reserves the right to restrict warranties: “FCA US LLC may restrict the warranty on your vehicle if the vehicle is not properly maintained, or if the vehicle is abused or neglected, and the abuse or neglect interferes with the proper functioning of the vehicle. If the warranty is restricted, coverage may be denied or subject to approval by FCA US LLC before covered repairs are performed.” Att. 4, page 15.​
In this case, the customer’s warranty was restricted as a result of customer abuse due to the installation and use of aftermarket components (oversized tires and lift kit). Thus, repairs were denied under warranty. In the future, in order for repairs to be claimed under the warranty, the customer would need to submit copies of the vehicle's maintenance records for review and approval by the FCA US LLC business center. Att. 6.​
In conclusion, the complete vehicle was restricted for warranty repairs as a result of customer abuse and the installation of aftermarket components, and as a result any repairs were justifiably denied. At this time, the repair of the vehicle is the responsibility of either the customer or the customer’s insurance company. If the customer’s insurance company determines that FCA US LLC has a responsibility in the repair of the vehicle, it would have full subrogation rights under the terms of the insurance policy.​
Truck.jpg
Notice how they use the shop lift to make the truck appear taller than it really is taking all the weight off the tires...​
Shop lift.png

PreciseD

Reaction score
Look up the Magnussen-Moss Act. This piece of legislation specifically states that a dealer cannot legally void a warranty unless they can prove beyond reasonable doubt that the aftermarket mods caused the failure

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Mag-Moss Act is way over quoted. The best way to ensure warranty repairs is to stay 100% stock while under warranty

Jrhunt223

Reaction score
Look up the Magnussen-Moss Act. This piece of legislation specifically states that a dealer cannot legally void a warranty unless they can prove beyond reasonable doubt that the aftermarket mods caused the failure
Any recommendations on an attorney to fight that and receive their fee from the result of the claim

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Caveat is that you may spend several thousands trying to argue this in court. How much money are you willing to spend?
Mfgs have very deep pockets and will play the long game until you're either bankrupt or quit.

Cheers,

PreciseD

Reaction score
The Mag-Moss Act is way over quoted. The best way to ensure warranty repairs is to stay 100% stock while under warranty
That is BS.. Wheels/Tires do not compromise the powertrain warranty (usually brake, wheel hub or suspension would not be covered) .. So either OP is not telling the full truth (has tune/other engine mods) or the dealer/FCA is trying to pull a fast one. I come from the Audi world were we heavily modify them and still get warranty work completed. So I am thinking there is more to the story than a set of tires, but that is pure speculation..

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Caveat is that you may spend several thousands trying to argue this in court. How much money are you willing to spend?
Mfgs have very deep pockets and will play the long game until you're either bankrupt or quit.

Cheers,
And the entire time your fighting it in court they can and will lock your vehicle up as evidence for the case. While the act does help it’s not a silver gullet because when the manufacturer decides to dig its heals in they will Keep it tied up in court until you give up. This isn’t just fca but all of them.
In the case of them claiming you have a lift and you say you don’t then it’s easier... if it’s got factory parts it’ll have factory part numbers on it.

Users who are viewing this thread