5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Requested to change rims on Limited, dealer says it will void warranty?

Nukegm426

Reaction score
One thing people fail to realize is that the manufacturer is relying heavily on the dealer to tell them about the vehicle. If the dealer tells them you put a 12” lift on your truck while signing the paperwork to buy it in the parking lot then that’s what happened as far as they’re concerned. Yes you can modify a vehicle and still get warranty work as long as you have a good dealer and have a good relationship with them... they can and will get things glossed over to help you. It shouldn’t be this way but that’s just how it is.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is BS.. Wheels/Tires do not compromise the powertrain warranty (usually brake, wheel hub or suspension would not be covered) .. So either OP is not telling the full truth (has tune/other engine mods) or the dealer/FCA is trying to pull a fast one. I come from the Audi world were we heavily modify them and still get warranty work completed. So I am thinking there is more to the story than a set of tires, but that is pure speculation..

He has 37” tires on there, I don’t see many Audi’s with that. It’s not exactly a plus one size tire

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What an idiot..... voiding a warranty for swapping rims?

Jrhunt223

Reaction score
That is BS.. Wheels/Tires do not compromise the powertrain warranty (usually brake, wheel hub or suspension would not be covered) .. So either OP is not telling the full truth (has tune/other engine mods) or the dealer/FCA is trying to pull a fast one. I come from the Audi world were we heavily modify them and still get warranty work completed. So I am thinking there is more to the story than a set of tires, but that is pure speculation..
They're claiming that Ram trucks are not for towing and that voids the warranty. I have never towed more than 10,000 lbs and 95% of my towing has been under 7,500 lbs just a small travel trailer RV. Towing a 5260 lb RV is considered "misuse/abuse due to the installation of unauthorized aftermarket components"

This is the complete statement from RAM.
Warranty coverage for the complete vehicle has been restricted due to customer misuse/abuse due to the installation of unauthorized aftermarket components. Att. 8. As such, the customer has no warrantable concerns and is not eligible for relief under the non-binding arbitration program.
This is a heavy duty truck manufacturers idea of "Large over weight trailers" towed by a 2020 mega cab Cummins 6.7 2500. the same truck that's advertised as being able to tow 19,280. Ram states that the truck is capable but towing voids your warranty! Stay classy guys

IMG_7994.jpg

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you re-gear the axles to a lower ratio to compensate for the heavy oversized tires?

PreciseD

Reaction score
They're claiming that Ram trucks are not for towing and that voids the warranty. I have never towed more than 10,000 lbs and 95% of my towing has been under 7,500 lbs just a small travel trailer RV. Towing a 5260 lb RV is considered "misuse/abuse due to the installation of unauthorized aftermarket components"

This is the complete statement from RAM.
Warranty coverage for the complete vehicle has been restricted due to customer misuse/abuse due to the installation of unauthorized aftermarket components. Att. 8. As such, the customer has no warrantable concerns and is not eligible for relief under the non-binding arbitration program.
This is a heavy duty truck manufacturers idea of "Large over weight trailers" towed by a 2020 mega cab Cummins 6.7 2500. the same truck that's advertised as being able to tow 19,280. Ram states that the truck is capable but towing voids your warranty! Stay classy guys
Tell them to have their lawyer draft an official FCA letter in detail as to how your tires voided the warranty. Have them cite the exact cause of failure and any studies they have that replicate the failure. My guess is they can't/won't or if they do, it will be so vague that you could find a lawyer to fight it..

What you really need to do is become the biggest pain in the *** for them.. Call them every hour on the hour and ask for a manager and when that guy doesn't help ask for his manager.. Escalate this until the freaking pope is on the phone with you.. Also write them on every social media platform you can and tag news outlets (local news are always looking for a story).. I have done this to Samsung and Citibank and I got results from both in less than 48 hours. DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER..

I mass emailed the entire executive team of Citibank and copied 10 different news outlets to that email... This was the response I got the next day and the day after that my issue was resolved...

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

We are in receipt of your email addressed to Citibank's Chairman, Vikram Pandit and other Citibank senior executives. Your message was referred to me for my review and response on the behalf of Citibank.

Please be assured that your communication is important to us and will receive a deliberate and thorough review. We appreciate your patience as this matter is being investigated. Should you have any questions or wish to provide further information regarding this matter, please feel free to contact me at (718)248-6433.

Sincerely,

Robert Wear
Client Liaison
Executive Response Unit

PreciseD

Reaction score
Here is how The VP of Samsung USA called me 4 hours after this email and replaced my $3500 range the next day...

Capture.JPG

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can’t put on heavy 37” tires, have **** break and then expect it to be covered under warranty. It doesn’t work like that.

Sorry Ram is in the right here

PreciseD

Reaction score
I don't understand how someone could think 37" tires are going to cause an engine oiling issue which lead to its failure...

Once again, the dealer/FCA has to prove that those tires directly caused the issue and they would have to have it investigated by an engineer (not some low level tech)...

If someone put snow chains on their truck would that void the warranty? I mean they are heavy chains right? This seems like a BS response so they don't have to pay..

I know there was a recall on the 6.7 for oil issues on startup.. Not sure if the 2500 was covered, but seems to me they are trying to pin the aftermath of a known problem onto a customer..

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tell them to have their lawyer draft an official FCA letter in detail as to how your tires voided the warranty. Have them cite the exact cause of failure and any studies they have that replicate the failure. My guess is they can't/won't or if they do, it will be so vague that you could find a lawyer to fight it..

I don't understand how someone could think 37" tires are going to cause an engine oiling issue which lead to its failure...

It would probably be easier to prove than you think, *if he has stock gearing

Putting 37” tires on will drop the RPM’s. They could argue out of its intended operating range while under load, therefore lugging the engine.

Further compounding the problem is towing a 7600 lb GVWR trailer while lugging the engine could cause catastrophic failure.

Jrhunt223

Reaction score
You can’t put on heavy 37” tires, have **** break and then expect it to be covered under warranty. It doesn’t work like that.

Sorry Ram is in the right here
Maybe if the differential went out or a wheel bearing I would agree with you.... but what on earth does tire size have to do with oil not getting to the top of my engine causing a catastrophic engine failure. Ram partners with AEV selling RAM's with their full 100,000 mile warranty with a 3" lift and 40" tires my dude.... prospector-xl-27.jpg
This is that truck

Jrhunt223

Reaction score

Once again, the dealer/FCA has to prove that those tires directly caused the issue and they would have to have it investigated by an engineer (not some low level tech)...

If someone put snow chains on their truck would that void the warranty? I mean they are heavy chains right? This seems like a BS response so they don't have to pay..

I know there was a recall on the 6.7 for oil issues on startup.. Not sure if the 2500 was covered, but seems to me they are trying to pin the aftermath of a known problem onto a customer..
agreed 100%

Jrhunt223

Reaction score
It would probably be easier to prove than you think, *if he has stock gearing

Putting 37” tires on will drop the RPM’s. They could argue out of its intended operating range while under load, therefore lugging the engine.

Further compounding the problem is towing a 7600 lb GVWR trailer while lugging the engine could cause catastrophic failure.
Also the tires and wheels were put on by the dealer at the time of purchase.... (I had to wait for shipping about two weeks but it was financed in the vehicle loan)

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also the tires and wheels were put on by the dealer at the time of purchase.... (I had to wait for shipping about two weeks but it was financed in the vehicle loan)

Then that’s between you and the dealer, not Ram.

PreciseD

Reaction score
Did they make you sign a waiver saying installing them would void your warranty?

Jrhunt223

Reaction score
One thing people fail to realize is that the manufacturer is relying heavily on the dealer to tell them about the vehicle. If the dealer tells them you put a 12” lift on your truck while signing the paperwork to buy it in the parking lot then that’s what happened as far as they’re concerned. Yes you can modify a vehicle and still get warranty work as long as you have a good dealer and have a good relationship with them... they can and will get things glossed over to help you. It shouldn’t be this way but that’s just how it is.
Not true in this case. the dealer agrees there is no lift FCA sent a representative from the factory out to the truck and they raised my truck on a shop lift, took photos of all the weight off the vehicles suspension and snapped photos calling that a lift... I mean I guess it was accurate the truck was lifted by the shops floor lift... what a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread