5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing my TOW mirrors with Power Folding - 10% Cyber Monday

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
Got mine, but missing the 2 controllers and door switch. Also noticed that the mirror did not have blind spot. Did have heat. They said that the other items are still to come. Waiting for timeline. Also asked about blind spot. Will post update.

Last edited:

Natsdad2018

Reaction score
I Was able to swap my tow mirrors out for some Laramie sport style mirrors. These had power adjust, turn signal, heated, and blind spot just like my Limited tow mirrors came with. No power fold (because I don’t have a module to support that or Rams help for programming that sales code) but everything works so I’m much happier with these! I just found a truck that had the same features as mine and used that trucks VIN to find the exact replacement mirrors. Wires going to the two connectors for the modules are all different color schemes (which had me worried at first) but it still all worked fine. So the only thing I’m lacking is power fold and 360 camera (which I don’t mind not having because I’m really liking the normal mirrors and size compared to tow mirrors).

Wondering if it activated your 360 cameras that the factory tow mirrors had eliminated? I have the same issue 2019 limited with tow mirrors that i hate and i'd really like my 360 cameras!

Bellpa

Reaction score
Subscribed to this thread, but maybe waiting for the price to come down some more. I park on the street that I live on and have already had my driver's mirror clipped once(no damage). Tired of folding the mirror in every time I park. If it wasn't for that reason, I'd be fine with the tow mirrors.

Old Ray

Reaction score
When I first posted about this months ago the general response here was that it was my fault (which I admitted to at the time) for bring really stupid and not doing my homework. That is still true, but with the ever increasing number of owners, who at the very least were not informed by their dealers, that the tow mirrors were not power foldable and now that a aftermarket company using FCA parts can supply a kit that solves most of the problem, one would think that FCA would man up and accept some responsibility in what is becoming a large negative public relations situation. The true measure of any company is how they handle a problem.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I first posted about this months ago the general response here was that it was my fault (which I admitted to at the time) for bring really stupid and not doing my homework. That is still true, but with the ever increasing number of owners, who at the very least were not informed by their dealers, that the tow mirrors were not power foldable and now that a aftermarket company using FCA parts can supply a kit that solves most of the problem, one would think that FCA would man up and accept some responsibility in what is becoming a large negative public relations situation. The true measure of any company is how they handle a problem.

I disagree... it isn't he dealer's job to inform you.
I agree that early adopters had conflicting information but FCA has made changes to make the changes clear.

Consumers need to educate themselves... no one trusts dealers and yet they are going to believe them when they are trying to sell you a vehicle?

Would I like to have folding tow mirrors, sure... I don't really care about he front camera or the 360... a kit to make the tow mirrors foldable would be great.

Sorry, but a couple of vocal people on forum does not a 'negative public relations situation' make...

geotex1

Reaction score

Respectfully, the complaints are not as statistically prevalent as you are interpreting... Membership here is 4K, that is 3 days of production. Nearing a full year of production immediately. Maybe 1% here frustrated about their not understanding the option selection for the tow package. That's not even an hour of production!

Discontent literally needs to be two orders of magnitude larger to grab manufacturer attention to invoke a design change. Remember, this is mass production based upon the average demands of the target audience, and the research is not blind or without input before scale up. So many argue "I should have X for a $60K truck." Well, sorry no. $60K isn't getting you a custom vehicle. You want it 100% your way, you're in the 1% of 1% and having a car handcrafted by an exotic or boutique manufacturer at much more cost! $60K is your base, and now you spend to customize the mass average design to be your own. If this wasn't true, there would be no aftermarket, no specialty customization shops, no ingenious and creative guys in our garages creating unique and cool! Further, just because FCA has pieces and parts that can be reconfigured into near to what you want doesn't mean it was oversight or should be standard! In fact, that's the best scenario for stealth mods found by those of us creative and ingenious! It's not just FCA either. I did this for decades with GM vehicles too. I still have one that shouldn't have factory NAV or reverse camera, but it seems like it does with all OEM parts, or auto-dimming, heated, extending trailering mirrors but it does...

By nature and nurture, I trust no-one. I rely on myself and tools available to me to find answers I seek. This is true of most engineers. My decisions are my responsibility, and this is a concept that is not recent, nor modern, but one rooted in the very evolution of society millennia ago - caveat emptor.

Now, would I have purchased the tow package if FCA had heated, self dimming, auto folding mirrors with body color caps - you betcha! However, in my buying research i found the tow mirrors were just what I had on my 2014 so I sought a build that had the equivalent of the tow package adds without the mirrors.

Unfortunately, this likely won't go to be a factory option until the heavys come out and larger customer base wants more. I really want the cargo cam off my 3500 dually on my 2019 too. Then maybe we will see it on 2021 builds. There's no chance, IMO, for such mirrors to become a Mopar accessory either because it's teetering on that "too involved" decider which had killed some of their concepts already.

Old Ray

Reaction score
Maybe 1% here frustrated about their not understanding the option selection for the tow package. That's not even an hour of production!
Maybe, maybe not, the problem is not going to get better as more trucks are sold. Most manufactures would kill for a 1 % increase in sales so if and when it becomes a 1 % loss of future repeat new sales because the other guys have the newest and best (and pretend to care more) then what? Unhappy ccustomers will walk with their money.

geotex1

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not, the problem is not going to get better as more trucks are sold. Most manufactures would kill for a 1 % increase in sales so if and when it becomes a 1 % loss of future repeat new sales because the other guys have the newest and best (and pretend to care more) then what? Unhappy ccustomers will walk with their money.

Respectfully again, Old Ray, I understand your point but this is really not enough as there is way more into the recipe of what corporations look at, and if you look at total production to date versus this particular issue and the gripe falls into fraction of a percent. The demographic for the new RAM 1500 is not commanding this. Further, you are making an assumption all of that 1% (or a real, smaller fraction) would jump ship over it - not at all. Not even close as proven time and again in industry. It's always compromise. The customer will go with what checks the most boxes because all boxes are never checked!

I'm not waxing philosophically either. I've spent the last 15 years of my engineering career as the Technical Director for a global product manufacturing firm. We literally have more market, product, and consumer analysts in the firm than I do in Engineering, Research, and Development!

Forums are for venting, learning, problem-solving and definitely of free speech. In fact, they have become a tool for crowd-sourced feedback we in products use for development - so fire away! However, tempering the rose-colored glasses is needed with reality.

RAM805

Reaction score
My Infotainment.com parts finally arrived after a one month delay. Nice parts, all oem MOPAR. BUT, they sent the power folding mirrors WITHOUT blind spot monitoring light, and heated. Mine should be WITH blind spot but WITHOUT heat. Anyway, hopefully they will replace them quickly.

ibang1

Reaction score
What's up with the mirrors without the Blind Spot indicator? I emailed the company a few weeks ago but they never responded back and for that reason I hesitated to order. For the folks who got their power mirrors can you upload a photo?

lasstss

Reaction score
Respectfully again, Old Ray, I understand your point but this is really not enough as there is way more into the recipe of what corporations look at, and if you look at total production to date versus this particular issue and the gripe falls into fraction of a percent. The demographic for the new RAM 1500 is not commanding this. Further, you are making an assumption all of that 1% (or a real, smaller fraction) would jump ship over it - not at all. Not even close as proven time and again in industry. It's always compromise. The customer will go with what checks the most boxes because all boxes are never checked!

I'm not waxing philosophically either. I've spent the last 15 years of my engineering career as the Technical Director for a global product manufacturing firm. We literally have more market, product, and consumer analysts in the firm than I do in Engineering, Research, and Development!

Forums are for venting, learning, problem-solving and definitely of free speech. In fact, they have become a tool for crowd-sourced feedback we in products use for development - so fire away! However, tempering the rose-colored glasses is needed with reality.

Well my fault for not trying every accessory on the sticker! I bought a bighorn off the lot. It was clearly written that I had power mirrors. No 'line' saying that it was superseded or altered due to a towing package. I posted the build sheet here. I didn't know where the switch was so shame on me for not investigating it. Its still deceptive. If the vehicle does not have it, don't put it on the window sticker. Plain and simple.

runamuck

Reaction score
I also didnt realize the tow mirrors on mine would not power fold. I had chevys and gmc's. all had em and it just didnt occur to me to dbl. check for it. you know what they say about assuming stuff. luckily my shop garage where I park my truck has 9' wide door. I have less that 2" clearance on each side so have to be careful pulling in and backing out.

djeazie

Reaction score
Im picking up my new 1500 on Friday. It has the sport package with the power fold mirrors. I have a set of power fold tow mirrors that I bought for my 4th gen. I'm gonna put them on the new truck. So I'm hoping since the new truck has power fold mirrors and I have power fold tow mirrors to put on it, that I'll be set. Hopefully it works. I'll report my findings.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
My Infotainment.com parts finally arrived after a one month delay. Nice parts, all oem MOPAR. BUT, they sent the power folding mirrors WITHOUT blind spot monitoring light, and heated. Mine should be WITH blind spot but WITHOUT heat. Anyway, hopefully they will replace them quickly.
OMG...almost same with me. They sent me Heated & Puddle light mirrors but WITHOUT Blind Spot. I even had an email exchange with them in early Dec to ensure I get right mirrors. They said "Don't worry, we use your VIN to make sure you get all the same features". I was on phone for long time with them yesterday. I shipped mine back, but they will not ship new ones until old ones arrive (they sent ground return...of course). So my return will arrive at their location next Wed. Then they need to ship the new ones WITH heat, puddle, and blind spot. They also still need to ship the door switch and both controllers. At this point, I only have the Genie & Bypass. I ordered around Nov. 26ish. It will now take at least until next Sat (best case). Will let you know. Here is a pix of the mirrors they sent me and I returned. BTW, their pix on Info website does not show the small wide angle mirror, but I think that the 2019's all have it but not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 134

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh please it seems even when you provide a vin to these dealerships, it’s like throwing a dart in the dark. I can not understand what is so difficult about getting us what we are owed and in a TIMELY manner. Everyone is so quick to blame other parties, yet it’s not the other parties that we’ve paid our hard earned capital to.

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
@gpasetta... thanks for posting the pic of the mirror. Besides the picture on the website, the only other image I've had in my mind (up until now) after waiting for over a month was this one:

1546119681462.png

To elaborate, I received my Genie and Bypass earlier this week and was "supposed" to get the mirrors by the end of the day yesterday. When they didn't show, I tracked the package using the FEDEX number they supplied, only to discover the packing list had been printed but the mirrors had not been shipped. I called this morning and was told the same thing, but they wouldn't be able to give me an update until Monday. o_O

lasstss

Reaction score
@gpasetta... thanks for posting the pic of the mirror. Besides the picture on the website, the only other image I've had in my mind (up until now) after waiting for over a month was this one:

View attachment 12023

To elaborate, I received my Genie and Bypass earlier this week and was "supposed" to get the mirrors by the end of the day yesterday. When they didn't show, I tracked the package using the FEDEX number they supplied, only to discover the packing list had been printed but the mirrors had not been shipped. I called this morning and was told the same thing, but they wouldn't be able to give me an update until Monday. o_O
Im in the same boat. I have the GEnie and some other gizmo. No mirrors , switch, or door relays? Supposed to be next week. We will see.

Users who are viewing this thread