5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing 5" UConnect Head Unit

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Perfect, thanks! That’s the way I’ll go then. That PDF from FCA has the measurements for the camera, just to need to find a match then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I just realized there may be an issue going with the aftermarket backup camera, also. I’m not sure if the aftermarket radio’s camera input will overtake the factory backup camera input (the black screen since it’s disconnected) when the truck is put in reverse, since the BCM still has the camera enabled. If this is the case, then you will definitely need AlfaOBD to disable the rear view camera in the BCM.

Scytes

Reaction score
Any luck with this so far?

I've just done something similar and outside of replacing the factory camera I haven't found a way myself to adapt to the new head unit.

I just realized there may be an issue going with the aftermarket backup camera, also. I’m not sure if the aftermarket radio’s camera input will overtake the factory backup camera input (the black screen since it’s disconnected) when the truck is put in reverse, since the BCM still has the camera enabled. If this is the case, then you will definitely need AlfaOBD to disable the rear view camera in the BCM.
I'm assuming from your earlier post that the factory head units had a processor built in that provided the camera with power?

WorkingDad

Reaction score
Any luck with this so far?

I've just done something similar and outside of replacing the factory camera I haven't found a way myself to adapt to the new head unit.

I'm assuming from your earlier post that the factory head units had a processor built in that provided the camera with power?

Just got some pieces in the mail today, and a different camera for worst case.

If the cable from the camera goes to the BCM then to the unit, maybe the BCM is powering the camera. It’s a tough one to test. I’m thinking of taking the factory camera out and bypassing the truck wiring just to test.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

If the cable from the camera goes to the BCM then to the unit, maybe the BCM is powering the camera. It’s a tough one to test. I’m thinking of taking the factory camera out and bypassing the truck wiring just to test.

The rear view camera coax cable goes directly from the camera to the radio. The BCM is configured to tell the radio that it is to be using it’s digital camera input.

Scytes

Reaction score
The rear view camera coax cable goes directly from the camera to the radio. The BCM is configured to tell the radio that it is to be using it’s digital camera input.

So my head unit has an input specifically for use with the signal from the OEM harness for when the camera should be active/when in reverse.

If I adapt the Fakra connector over to a male RCA connection will there be any other reasons why the camera won't work? Or is the camera also drawing power from the factory unit and with the new unit you won't have any power so you need to tap into something nearby to provide it with power?

Last edited:

Scytes

Reaction score

I've done the same, I suspect I'll have to put in place the new camera.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So my head unit has an input specifically for use with the signal from the OEM harness for when the camera should be active/when in reverse.

If I adapt the Fakra connector over to a male RCA connection will there be any other reasons why the camera won't work? Or is the camera also drawing power from the factory unit and with the new unit you won't have any power so you need to tap into something nearby to provide it with power?
The factory head unit is capable of using either it’s analog or digital rear camera input. It is the BCM’s configuration that dictates to the radio which one to use. When the digital input is used, the head unit internally sends power to the camera when the truck is put in reverse. You can not simply convert the camera’s fakra connector to rca and plug it into an aftermarket radio camera input.
I’m thinking that no matter which route you go- aftermarket camera, or 4th gen analog camera- you’re going to need AlfaOBD to make some changes to the BCM.

WorkingDad

Reaction score
e30932402b6134c71b0d155806a23e03.jpg
dd8c74c445418b1f6b55d3d4fce2e07f.jpg
c52bba10872bb709cc5b781c1885e745.jpg

fdd7c08af33c949b8ab6011e2d484302.jpg

I’m under the truck right now, finishing this up.

I removed the OEM camera. In its place I put in an after market camera, fit was perfect, no modification on the hole. From there I used an RCA to Fakra adapter then to the cable the OEM camera used.

Up front I used another Fakra to RCA adapter and connected that to my head unit.

I’m under the truck wiring the camera power to the trailer harness for the 12v power. My head unit has a reverse line input so I can provide continuous power to the camera.

I’ll post a link to the specific camera I ordered, it even has the turning lines somehow.

Scytes

Reaction score
That's awesome, it sounds like I need to order a second Fakra to RCA adapter as well than as I only ordered the one.

Did you wire the reverse input up from the harness up front or are you getting the input from somewhere else?

WorkingDad

Reaction score
Here’s the camera I used:

Unscrew the lens cap, insert into factory hole, tighten it back up.

I use a Maestro RR unit that connects to the factory harness up front, that has a reverse sensor coming out.

Both of my Fakra adapters were female on the RCA side so I needed two male-male adapter in there as well.

WorkingDad

Reaction score
I don’t recommend that camera, after first use. The lines are wonky, and the field of view is narrow. I have another one coming tomorrow that I’ve used before, should be better.

Scytes

Reaction score
I don’t recommend that camera, after first use. The lines are wonky, and the field of view is narrow. I have another one coming tomorrow that I’ve used before, should be better.

I have a similar one with decent reviews coming as well, I'm guessing your Maestro has the Purple/White wire like mine and that's what you used?

WorkingDad

Reaction score
Yea.

The camera has the lines that turn with the truck, but they don’t use steering input. It must be processing it on the camera itself, it’s definitely part of the feed. Whatever algorithm it’s using to see the turn, it’s really slow and will whip around unexpectedly. I’d rather have static parking lines and a better quality view.

WorkingDad

Reaction score
Here’s the 2nd one

Reverse Backup Camera,RAAYOO L002 170 Degree Wide View Angle 2-in-1 Universal Car Front/Side/Rear View Camera,2 Installation Options,Removable Guildlines,mirror non-mirror image,12V only https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074P45P7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TiyWEbQS2E0ME

Fits just as good as the other, picture quality is a little better, better field of view.

Scytes

Reaction score
I have ordered the same one actually, I'm glad it's a better quality as mine will be arriving Tuesday. I appreciate your replies throughout this process, I'm sure others will find this useful as well.

I really don't want the camera on all the time so I may try to tap into the reverse lights for turning the camera itself on, though it won't hurt it I s'ppose if it is on all the time. I've just read about some cameras burning out if they are always on.

WorkingDad

Reaction score
I use mine to watch my utility trailer sometimes. Good to know about them burning out though.

Scytes

Reaction score
I use mine to watch my utility trailer sometimes. Good to know about them burning out though.

I asked the manufacturer and they say that the camera isn't designed to be always on but it may hold up fine. I'm hoping I can tap into the signal for the reverse lights through the wiring harness to power it when in reverse.

WorkingDad

Reaction score
I should have taken pictures of this step:
I ran the camera wire from the tailgate handle through the tailgate following the factory wiring. Comes out the bottom of the tailgate a little right of center. Followed the factory wire still through the hole to under the bed. That comes out just left of center, a little left of the spare tire. The trailer plug wiring goes from the plug and follows along the top of the bumper to the left side of the bed.

Point being, where the camera wire comes under the bed, the trailer wire bundle is not far away, just a few inches. I just cut open the tape and tapped into the wires there. You could grab the reverse there as well.

Xxmcnallyxx117

Reaction score
Update:
Worked great. I the radio/truck combo didn’t show any results on the site, but the desktop app had it. Ended up being able to use the short press on the call buttons for volume control and long press for phone.

Haven’t confirmed that rear camera doesn’t work, but I’m assuming that the red connector in the factory unit is the camera feed. If that’s the case, yea, that’s still dangling in the back.

Left the usb disconnected. My head unit “does not support USB hubs” and if I left it plugged in, for some reason the ports wouldn’t power up. With it disconnected they charge the phones just fine. I installed a dedicated USB port to the left of my traction control/ tow buttons.

Getting everything back in there was a chore. It’s a full size unit so it goes in a substantial amount more than the factory unit. I ended up trimming some of the plastic brackets back to get it all to fit.

Seems to work great though. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a camera adapter, or rig something else up. The unit has a standard RCA input, shouldn’t be too hard to figure out something.

How much did you have to cut to get the unit to fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/