5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replaced speakers and lost Active Noise Cancellation (ANC)???

therapy

Reaction score
Man is this thread confusing now, hahaha.

I've got the Alpine 9-speaker system in my 2022 with the Hemi eTorque.

Looking to upgrade the dash and door speakers, and KEEP ANC if possible.

What I'm trying to find out is:
1. What wiring harnesses do I need? I've seen people say Metra 72-6514 for doors and Metra 72-902 for dash, is that right?
2. What ohm rating should I be looking for on doors? I am okay with volume not being as loud but I'd really rather not deal with any drone....what is the stock ohm rating of the door and dash speakers on the 9-speaker alpine system?

I'm not looking to add an amplifier or anything, just want a cleaner sound. My original thoughts were to put a 6x9 coaxial in the front and rear doors, and do some 3.5" for the three dash speakers with adapters. Cheap and easy.

Suggestions appreciated. Don't need to go bougie like Focal or something, just an upgrade for clarity and mid-bass.

JBA

Reaction score
I just tested my 2022 Ram Alpine system using two mic’s, a signal generator and oscilloscope. I used both sine and square wave pulses. Front left dash is out of phase with the center and right. Parametric eq’s are definitely applied. But here is the kicker: the left door speakers have no delay applied wrt each other, but the center and right speakers all have delays applied with respect to the left door speaker. The left speakers are closer and should have the delay. It’s almost like these guys had ANC interacting poorly with each other location and fixed it by sacrificing the correct phasing for music. What a mess.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just tested my 2022 Ram Alpine system using two mic’s, a signal generator and oscilloscope. I used both sine and square wave pulses. Front left dash is out of phase with the center and right. Parametric eq’s are definitely applied. But here is the kicker: the left door speakers have no delay applied wrt each other, but the center and right speakers all have delays applied with respect to the left door speaker. The left speakers are closer and should have the delay. It’s almost like these guys had ANC interacting poorly with each other location and fixed it by sacrificing the correct phasing for music. What a mess.
If you disable ANC, does anything change with phasing?

JBA

Reaction score
If you disable ANC, does anything change with phasing?
First thing I did was disable ANC after installing an aftermarket exhaust so I should have no interaction there. Last night was the first time I listened in the passenger side and it’s way better than the driver side. What I don’t understand is why they would bother setting delays for one sitting position and make everything else worse? Man, I’m an ex-audio nut and I would only do that if I can setup and select multiple “tunes” for when I’m alone or have passengers or want to impress a Bud sitting in the passenger seat. But the average guy saying man this sounds good and his passenger getting a worse than stock time alignment seems kind of dumb.

JBA

Reaction score
Did a pile of sweeps with REW tonight and the passenger side is definitely much better in the mid bass to low mids problem area. I have to keep the bass at -6 to get this mid bass honk somewhat as flat as the stock eq will allow. The sub then fills in the low end with plenty extra on tap with the bass knob if I want it. The left and right sides play correctly in the truck so why they added the delays to the right channels instead to time align the passenger seat while making the driver side worse is still beyond me. If it wasn’t for that centre channel and media playing out of the front left I would re-pin and flip all left and right channels to correct this.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First thing I did was disable ANC after installing an aftermarket exhaust so I should have no interaction there. Last night was the first time I listened in the passenger side and it’s way better than the driver side. What I don’t understand is why they would bother setting delays for one sitting position and make everything else worse? Man, I’m an ex-audio nut and I would only do that if I can setup and select multiple “tunes” for when I’m alone or have passengers or want to impress a Bud sitting in the passenger seat. But the average guy saying man this sounds good and his passenger getting a worse than stock time alignment seems kind of dumb.
If I re-pin the fro t left dash speaker to be in phase with everything else, how much would that help/hurt? I have already replaced with infinity reference speaker and have the adapter harness so could repin the adapter vs the factory connector

JBA

Reaction score
If I re-pin the fro t left dash speaker to be in phase with everything else, how much would that help/hurt? I have already replaced with infinity reference speaker and have the adapter harness so could repin the adapter vs the factory connector
Well I’m a bit baffled because it tests as out of phase in reference to both the centre and right speaker using continuous sin waves and transient pulse while reading with two separate identical microphones each on a channel of an oscilloscope. If I play phase tracks, both front doors are in phase in the cab, and left and right fronts are out of phase when I place my head in the middle of the cab but the overall phase from the driver side is much better but not 100% perfect. When I flip my front left wiring the phase mostly sounds worse from the driver side position somehow but is best from the middle of the cab (where nobody sits). Hard to believe overall frequency response and image is better on the driver side with factory stock “out of phase” readings, and worse overall when I attempted to flip the wiring to non stock. I really do think they have just applied the delay to the right speakers instead of the left speakers at this point. This why everything is better with this weird factory phase but not perfect. Overall everything is descent (for a factory system) except this time alignment causes a weird 100 to 400hz increase on the driver side that is messed up and notably even more prominent on left ear than right ear In the driver position. I measured a 2.6 ms delay and that correlates with this out of phase zone in this mid bass region that screws with your mind. All this to say I’m back to stock wiring cause it the lesser of two evils. My brain needs a break lol.

JBA

Reaction score
Is pretty easy to pull the front left pins and flip if your even half handy, there are a few YouTube instructions. I would like for someone else to try it and let me know how they perceive each way sounds. Tip: Look up “phase tests” in Spotify or whatever service you use and try a few different tracks to help you hear in phase and out of phase tone and music tracks back to back.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is pretty easy to pull the front left pins and flip if your even half handy (search YouTube for instructions). I would like for someone else to try it and let me know how they perceive each way sounds. Tip: Look up “phase tests” in Spotify or whatever service you use and try a few different tracks to help you hear in phase and out of phase tone and music tracks back to back.
I'm pretty proficient with connector repair. Was part of my training in Navy. And I did have to do that to the adapter harness for door speakers when I installed them. Had very little bass after door speaker install. Flipped the wires and bass came back. Figured the doors were cancelling out the sub being out of phase

Reactions: JBA

JBA

Reaction score
For anyone looking for more info on the Ram Alpine system, the car audio forums are the right place to go.

Last edited:

Florida RAM

Reaction score
OK, so I took a gamble and replaced the front door speakers with Infinity 2-way 6X9s. The stereo sounds great! However...yep, the ANC went bonkers. Loud droning. Took it to the dealership and told them the ANC wasn't working. They confirmed that, replaced the amp, and it's still doing it. Said they are referring it to engineering. They never asked about the speakers. Seems like that would have been their first question. I thought the ANC had its own speaker/amp under the seat, completely separate from the stereo. Hopefully will hear something from the dealership today. Might just have to buy stock speakers and put them back in (like a dummy I threw away the speakers that came out).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so I took a gamble and replaced the front door speakers with Infinity 2-way 6X9s. The stereo sounds great! However...yep, the ANC went bonkers. Loud droning. Took it to the dealership and told them the ANC wasn't working. They confirmed that, replaced the amp, and it's still doing it. Said they are referring it to engineering. They never asked about the speakers. Seems like that would have been their first question. I thought the ANC had its own speaker/amp under the seat, completely separate from the stereo. Hopefully will hear something from the dealership today. Might just have to buy stock speakers and put them back in (like a dummy I threw away the speakers that came out).
Make sure the adapter harnesses you bought for the speakers are the correct polarity. There are two different adapters available. One is pinned one polarity, the other is switched.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
I spoke to my service rep today and he said they are still troubleshooting and waiting for an answer from Mopar Engineering. I told him I replaced the speakers (its been there for over a week and I just want my truck back) but he didn't think that would be the issue. Who knows...

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Finally heard back from the dealership. Definitely the front speakers. Surprised it took them this long to figure it out. It's all connected to the ANC. Putting stock front door speakers back in.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Bought some stock speakers and put them back in the front doors....problem solved. ANC works perfectly now. Expensive mistake on my part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/