5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replaced speakers and lost Active Noise Cancellation (ANC)???

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Red Wolf (same as Metra) harnesses were backwards to the polarity of the speakers (both stock and CDTs). I had to de-pin the harnesses and flip ‘em around. I did the AA battery trick to determine polarity for all the stock speakers and replacements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is the AA battery trick?

skyhawk42

Reaction score
AA battery trick is simply using a AA battery to “pop” test a speaker by temporarily touching the speaker + &- to the battery to see which way the speaker moves. If it moves outward you have it in the correct phase, inward and you need to swap your -&+. Phase greatly changed ANC. If you have the speakers incorrect it will enhance noise rather than cancel it.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification. I figured there would be movement, didn't know which way was which.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I unplugged my sub last year to make the HK system tolerable. Am I missing out on a quieter cabin without the sub connected? A noticeable amount anyway?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I unplugged my sub last year to make the HK system tolerable. Am I missing out on a quieter cabin without the sub connected? A noticeable amount anyway?
No.
My truck is just as quiet with the sub unplugged.

Handmeawrench

Reaction score

My sub is plugged in and I don’t notice a difference with ANC disengaged.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My sub is plugged in and I don’t notice a difference with ANC disengaged.

Interesting…
I have the Alpine system, added in a powered sub. For sure my ANC was working fine, because the instant I installed the ANC bypass harness, the quiet ride went bye bye. Granted it’s tolerable, and I just turn up the music anyways, but exhaust drone and road noise in cab is substantially louder after the install.

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
[mention]MikeyHo808 [/mention] I wonder if you got the wrong ANC bypass. There is one for WITH stock amp/sub system and one WITHOUT. I bought the wrong one at first.

InRoostWeTrust

Reaction score
I just installed the CD69's in my 2022 base 6-speaker using the Metra 72-6514 (for door speakers) to keep the polarity the same as stock and it was a dramatic improvement.
The dash speakers need the Metra 72-7902 harness adaptor - I have the Faital 3FE22 3" speakers ordered and awaiting delivery to test.

As a side note, I added 2-3 layers of 80-mil Roadkill sound deadener (purchased off Amazon for maybe $55 and applied it to the inside of all 4 plastic door panels and it really cuts road noise/vibration... kinda overkill, but it was cheap and really helped.

If anyone needs 2 kits of the 'door' Metra 72-6514 and one kit of the 'dash' Metra 72-7902 (along with 2 of each of the 2 different door panel snap mounts - I bought extra just in case), I'll sell them for $30 shipped in the USA from MN.

21RamGuy

Reaction score
what's this ANC thing? i've not seen anything on my sticker about that. is it just limited trucks with the HK system? I've got the alpine system but i want better highs from the back area for a more immersive sound. I know what Active Noise Cancelation is but i had no idea manufactures were using this to "quiten" the ambient sounds.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
what's this ANC thing? i've not seen anything on my sticker about that. is it just limited trucks with the HK system? I've got the alpine system but i want better highs from the back area for a more immersive sound. I know what Active Noise Cancelation is but i had no idea manufactures were using this to "quiten" the ambient sounds.
When I was more into aftermarket stereo systems, still have on in my Dakota, the "sound stage" was always recommended to have the highs come from the front. Which is why, even on factory systems, you always had the components with tweeters in the front a-pillar area. And the subwoofer was always in the rear.

21RamGuy

Reaction score
When I was more into aftermarket stereo systems, still have on in my Dakota, the "sound stage" was always recommended to have the highs come from the front. Which is why, even on factory systems, you always had the components with tweeters in the front a-pillar area. And the subwoofer was always in the rear.
for sure, i understand that part but that ANC thing is still strange to me lol... i used to be a huge bass head but with time that's subsided. I still want more of a vocal in the back seat area lol..

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
for sure, i understand that part but that ANC thing is still strange to me lol... i used to be a huge bass head but with time that's subsided. I still want more of a vocal in the back seat area lol..
ANC helps reduce road noise. It's not really for interior noises, but more for exterior noises.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
I agree. I can't stand the soundstage setup. I prefer the sound coming equally from all around me. Once I replaced the rear speakers with the Infinity Refs it got rid of the soundstage and made the sound truly Immersive. The sound in the back seating area is incredible now. Really balances the sound.

Esp53

Reaction score
You haven't lost ANC - the ANC system is going haywire. The motor is not noisy. You can disconnect ANC and barely notice a difference in sound levels. ANC is not tuned for anything other than stock speakers, and 99% of the time, any aftermarket speaker/subwoofer setup will cause issues (droning/humming) if ANC is not bypassed or disabled. Your options are:

A. Stock speakers
B. Disconnect ANC microphones via unplugging the pins on the amplifier harness located underneath the driver seat (free and easy once you understand how to do it)
C. Buy an ANC bypass harness
HANDS DOWN CORRECT. Unless you bypass the ANC, changing out door speakers will cause it to go haywire. The added benefit is that the factory sub suddenly comes alive (no longer generating the dreaded drone)

Florida RAM

Reaction score
HANDS DOWN CORRECT. Unless you bypass the ANC, changing out door speakers will cause it to go haywire. The added benefit is that the factory sub suddenly comes alive (no longer generating the dreaded drone)
I think it's only the front speakers that are part of the ANC. Swapping out my rear doors did not effect it.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is not the unequivocal solution. Many of us have left ANC active by reversing polarity on the front door speakers’ wiring harnesses. Before anyone says anything- I did it on my ‘21 hemi, not the truck in my signature.

Edit: had to make distinction on polarity.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have replaced my front door speakers and dash speakers And no issues with ANC, and not disabled. Hook your speakers up properly, use speakers with the correct ohm rating, and there should be no issues.

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
I have replaced my front door speakers and dash speakers And no issues with ANC, and not disabled. Hook your speakers up properly, use speakers with the correct ohm rating, and there should be no issues.

Disagree. ANC is likely tuned to match exact specs of stock units.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Disagree. ANC is likely tuned to match exact specs of stock units.

Which is why I said use the correct ohm rated speaker for whatever system you have in your truck. Beyond that, ANC wouldn't know what the speaker is. I wouldn't be surprised if most people having issues don't have either reversed polarity, or trying to use 4ohm speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread