5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replaced speakers and lost Active Noise Cancellation (ANC)???

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which is why I said use the correct ohm rated speaker for whatever system you have in your truck. Beyond that, ANC wouldn't know what the speaker is. I wouldn't be surprised if most people having issues don't have either reversed polarity, or trying to use 4ohm speakers.
Ohms is merely part of the equation - you can match ohms, but end up with more efficient speakers, which will create more volume with the same amount of power... hence louder droning noise from ANC.

21RamGuy

Reaction score
I agree. I can't stand the soundstage setup. I prefer the sound coming equally from all around me. Once I replaced the rear speakers with the Infinity Refs it got rid of the soundstage and made the sound truly Immersive. The sound in the back seating area is incredible now. Really balances the sound.
what models of speakers?

InRoostWeTrust

Reaction score
Keep in mind guys that there are three (3) radio options - each have there own needs for speaker Ohms and wiring polarity.
If you have the Hemi, you have ANC (if you don't have a Hemi you don't have ANC).
Replacing speakers and wiring them correctly for polarity should not effect proper ANC function. Some early Metra adaptor connectors were said to be wired incorrectly, I think this issues has been straightened out now... if you swapped speakers and you are getting odd ANC noise, check each speaker wiring polarity (and/or swap leads to test results).
Some speakers are super efficient and allow you use a 4-Ohm speaker where an inefficient 8-Ohm stock speaker was used.

We really need 3 sperate forum tabs for the three (3) radio options, possibly more for those who do not have ANC. A lot of reading and note taking is needed across many forum tabs to decipher what each radio has for stock speaker Ohm rating, and which correct Metra connectors are needed if you don't have the OEM schematics or trust what Crutchfield shows you need when correctly entering-in your vehicle information.
I have the 6-speaker base system with ANC, and did a lot of homework... some posts were found to have misinformation (just like todays media), and upgrading just the speakers can make dramatic improvement.

As mentioned above I still have a full set of Metra connectors needed for the doors and dash that will be shipped with 4 pcs (2 of each style) of the door panel clips in case you break a few installing/removing the plastic door panels...shipped for $30 in the USA.

Roost!

21RamGuy

Reaction score
does anyone have pictures of their stock speakers from the 9 speaker plus sub option?

Florida RAM

Reaction score
does anyone have pictures of their stock speakers from the 9 speaker plus sub option?
They are just basic 2-way generic Chinese speakers. Nothing really to look at. Completely unmarked other than "Made in China" stamped on the back.

swizlstik

Reaction score

c75f701a6ed4a6f4873e5893043e9922.jpg

I don’t have the speakers from the headliner out.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's what came out of my doors.
Not sure there's any differences between the sound systems...
IMG_20220107_194533.jpg IMG_20220107_194559.jpg

InRoostWeTrust

Reaction score
Anyone know if the base 6-speaker radio with ANC has it's dash speakers wired in reverse polarity?
The door speakers are said to be wired in reverse polarity, and being the dash speakers are said to be parrelled with the front door speakers, I'm wondering which spade connector on the speaker is now the "true" positive lead for adding a bass blocker/freq filter.

Bass blockers get added typically to the (+) side of speaker, but I don't know which side is (+) if the system is wired in reverse polarity.

Thanks for any feedback!

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AA battery trick is simply using a AA battery to “pop” test a speaker by temporarily touching the speaker + &- to the battery to see which way the speaker moves. If it moves outward you have it in the correct phase, inward and you need to swap your -&+. Phase greatly changed ANC. If you have the speakers incorrect it will enhance noise rather than cancel it.

Anyone know if the base 6-speaker radio with ANC has it's dash speakers wired in reverse polarity?
The door speakers are said to be wired in reverse polarity, and being the dash speakers are said to be parrelled with the front door speakers, I'm wondering which spade connector on the speaker is now the "true" positive lead for adding a bass blocker/freq filter.

Bass blockers get added typically to the (+) side of speaker, but I don't know which side is (+) if the system is wired in reverse polarity.

Thanks for any feedback!

InRoostWeTrust

Reaction score
Thanks BT10...
I found a schematic for the DT base 6-speaker system and at least I have wire code colors to know what is positive & negative (darkgreen/violet is + and darkgreen/yelow is -) prior the speaker to know what lead gets the bass blocker.

The schematic doesn't tell if the system is a reverse polarity system as it doesn't show a speaker lead going to a specific speaker terminal (i.e. a + lead going to a - speaker terminal).

HEMITKN

Reaction score
So great post, I installed kickers in dash corners and all four doors. Upon test drive it droned so loud I thought someone hit me backing out of the driveway. Question is I have the kickers with filters in the dash corners and kickers in the rear doors it still drones when upshifting in middle gears and downshifting on highways speeds.
Should've I have lost the droning with the replacement of the stock front door speakers? Have been top the dealer twice. First time no one heard it. Second time I took the service manager out. He said reset some codes was under the dash for a while and not fixed. Said it's and engineering issue and I should replace all the speakers to factory.
The droning is annoying and I'm stuck. FYI had the dash speakers out too and no change.

InRoostWeTrust

Reaction score
So great post, I installed kickers in dash corners and all four doors. Upon test drive it droned so loud I thought someone hit me backing out of the driveway. Question is I have the kickers with filters in the dash corners and kickers in the rear doors it still drones when upshifting in middle gears and downshifting on highways speeds.
Should've I have lost the droning with the replacement of the stock front door speakers? Have been top the dealer twice. First time no one heard it. Second time I took the service manager out. He said reset some codes was under the dash for a while and not fixed. Said it's and engineering issue and I should replace all the speakers to factory.
The droning is annoying and I'm stuck. FYI had the dash speakers out too and no change.
As far as I know, only the door speakers are tied to the ANC system.
Verify your wiring polarity on each speaker (to make sure they are all the same if you didn't use Metra type adaptors) - I've read that some adaptors are wired backwards (or incorrectly). You can also test if ANC is better if you reverse speaker polarity.

The Ram 6-speaker BASE radio does have all the door speakers wired with reverse polarity... not sure about the Alpine 7-speaker or the fancier 19-21 speaker version.
I have a schematic for the 6-speaker base radio that shows the polarity off of the radio and lists wire colors, but it does not designate what speaker terminal is positive or negative.

You could use a battery on the old and new speaker to determine what is + or -, then make sure the wires connect the same speaker terminals. When a small battery is applied to the terminals, the speaker will extend or retract.

Hope this helps!

HEMITKN

Reaction score
As far as I know, only the door speakers are tied to the ANC system.
Verify your wiring polarity on each speaker (to make sure they are all the same if you didn't use Metra type adaptors) - I've read that some adaptors are wired backwards (or incorrectly). You can also test if ANC is better if you reverse speaker polarity.

The Ram 6-speaker BASE radio does have all the door speakers wired with reverse polarity... not sure about the Alpine 7-speaker or the fancier 19-21 speaker version.
I have a schematic for the 6-speaker base radio that shows the polarity off of the radio and lists wire colors, but it does not designate what speaker terminal is positive or negative.

You could use a battery on the old and new speaker to determine what is + or -, then make sure the wires connect the same speaker terminals. When a small battery is applied to the terminals, the speaker will extend or retract.

Hope this helps!
So, the rear doors are affected too? I have the Alpine 7 speaker with 8.4 NAV.

InRoostWeTrust

Reaction score
Hemi
So, the rear doors are affected too? I have the Alpine 7 speaker with 8.4 NAV.
HEMITKN, I'm not sure on the 7-speaker system - the topic was discussed, but it will need alot of reading across many posts pertaining to ANC / polarity / speaker Ohms... I knew I saw it was mentioned, but I was focusing on the base 6-speaker.

I do know the dash speakers are not tied to ANC, and all new speakers for the doors 'should' be wired with the same polarity as the stock speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread