5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replaced speakers and lost Active Noise Cancellation (ANC)???

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
(For reference the truck in question is a 2019 1500 Laramie Crew Cab with 8.4” screen and HK “premium” system.)

Huh. Last night I removed the two factory 6x9s from the front doors. I installed CDT Audio CL-69S using Red Wolf wire harnesses (they appear to be identical to Metra brand). I made no other changes to the system and buttoned it back up.

This morning when I went for the first post-install drive it was immediately obvious that Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) was not working. And dear sweet Mama that motor is noisy! I mean, talk about a crazy droning sound. No wonder Ram puts ANC in their trucks. Woof.

But it got me wondering…why is it not working? I’m sure the performance of the new speakers is different from the stockers, but isn’t the system supposed to react to the sound inside the cab via the 4 microphones and adjust? I used the stock wiring harness, so what’s up?

I honestly didn’t expect my results. Does anyone have thoughts as to what might be happening? My first attempt to recover ANC will be to pull the radio fuse and see if a reboot does the trick.

Advice, suggestions, or general mockery are welcome. The quality of my music is immediately improved, but I may need to reverse my progress if I can’t get ANC working again. That droning motor noise is brutal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Try reversing polarity on your redwolf harness, as in, swap pins in the pigtail OR at the speaker itself.

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
Try reversing polarity on your redwolf harness, as in, swap pins in the pigtail OR at the speaker itself.

Good call. I disassembled the harness so I can switch wires if needed.

Do you happen to know the stock harness wire color for positive?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it's not a polarity issues are the new CDT speakers the same ohm rating as the factory HK speakers?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You haven't lost ANC - the ANC system is going haywire. The motor is not noisy. You can disconnect ANC and barely notice a difference in sound levels. ANC is not tuned for anything other than stock speakers, and 99% of the time, any aftermarket speaker/subwoofer setup will cause issues (droning/humming) if ANC is not bypassed or disabled. Your options are:

A. Stock speakers
B. Disconnect ANC microphones via unplugging the pins on the amplifier harness located underneath the driver seat (free and easy once you understand how to do it)
C. Buy an ANC bypass harness

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You haven't lost ANC - the ANC system is going haywire. The motor is not noisy. You can disconnect ANC and barely notice a difference in sound levels. ANC is not tuned for anything other than stock speakers, and 99% of the time, any aftermarket speaker/subwoofer setup will cause issues (droning/humming) if ANC is not bypassed or disabled. Your options are:

A. Stock speakers
B. Disconnect ANC microphones via unplugging the pins on the amplifier harness located underneath the driver seat (free and easy once you understand how to do it)
C. Buy an ANC bypass harness
It’s most likely not an ANC issue. There are many people here with HK and Alpine systems running these speakers without issue. The one thing everyone has to do is swap pins on the aftermarket harnesses.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, they are 2ohms as well.

H&K uses the 4 ohm version of the speakers, which in itself, could be an issue down the road. You can check out this post and thread for more info.

The speaker positive wire pinouts for 6x9's are as follows:
Left rear: Gray/Green
Right rear: Dark Green/Green
Left Front: Gray/Violet
Right Front: Dark Green/Violet

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
You haven't lost ANC - the ANC system is going haywire. The motor is not noisy. You can disconnect ANC and barely notice a difference in sound levels. ANC is not tuned for anything other than stock speakers, and 99% of the time, any aftermarket speaker/subwoofer setup will cause issues (droning/humming) if ANC is not bypassed or disabled.

First off, let me just say that you were 100% correct about the ANC going nuts. Disconnected it, and it’s peaceful once again inside the cab.

Just giving credit where it’s due.

Last edited:

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
The one thing everyone has to do is swap pins on the aftermarket harnesses.

I took your post to heart and tested the polarity of the two stock speakers I already replaced. (See below picture.) Then I tore down and rebuilt the Red Wolf harnesses I have yet to install to match that polarity.

When I take the front door panels off again I will swap the harnesses I already installed and test/rebuild as necessary.

I’ll report back on whether they came backwards from the seller or not.

Based on a grainy picture I took before the first two harnesses went in (see below), the polarity appears to be backwards from the factory.

bd1a67d422126d06695a85274d3ab0df.jpg

33803fbec5d1c8f2c0c06f1724cf0ca0.jpg

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I took your post to heart and tested the polarity of the two stock speakers I already replaced. (See below picture.) Then I tore down and rebuilt the Red Wolf harnesses I have yet to install to match that polarity.

When I take the front door panels off again I will swap the harnesses I already installed and test/rebuild as necessary.

I’ll report back on whether they came backwards from the seller or not.

Based on a grainy picture I took before the first two harnesses went in (see below), the polarity appears to be backwards from the factory.

bd1a67d422126d06695a85274d3ab0df.jpg

33803fbec5d1c8f2c0c06f1724cf0ca0.jpg

It may seem extremely obvious to you, but sometimes people get in the zone and don’t think about it so I’m mentioning this: after you do your swap, leave the door panels off and take it for a drive to see if your problems are gone. That way you’re not uninstalling and installing door panels a bunch of times with those clips that are easily broken. (Ask how I know, lol)

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
It may seem extremely obvious to you, but sometimes people get in the zone and don’t think about it so I’m mentioning this: after you do your swap, leave the door panels off and take it for a drive to see if your problems are gone. That way you’re not uninstalling and installing door panels a bunch of times with those clips that are easily broken. (Ask how I know, lol)

Good call! I ordered all new clips, so when I put it back together I don’t want to take it apart again.

Orion10182011

Reaction score
When I did mine the plug in adapters from the vendor were wired reversed. I had to de pin each one and reverse the leads. If you get the speakers wired backwards they will be out of phase and cancellation will not work. In fact they might boost the noise.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Are y'all saying that the noise cancelling system uses the same speakers as the stereo? I thought the ANC had special speakers under the seats or something. This is the first thread I have seen where someone said their ANC failed after swapping out speakers. It's a very common mod and nobody seems to have a problem.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are y'all saying that the noise cancelling system uses the same speakers as the stereo? I thought the ANC had special speakers under the seats or something. This is the first thread I have seen where someone said their ANC failed after swapping out speakers. It's a very common mod and nobody seems to have a problem.
Yes, uses same speakers as radio.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, the ANC’s output is through door speakers and sub (if equipped). Everyone with ANC has to do this, and the fix is mentioned in a few different threads.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Yes, the ANC’s output is through door speakers and sub (if equipped). Everyone with ANC has to do this, and the fix is mentioned in a few different threads.
That is good information. Seems like something that might deserve a sticky. I only replaced my rear doors and dash speakers. Was thinking about replacing the front doors, but if they are used for ANC then I'll just leave them alone.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is good information. Seems like something that might deserve a sticky. I only replaced my rear doors and dash speakers. Was thinking about replacing the front doors, but if they are used for ANC then I'll just leave them alone.
I should caveat what I said:
If you’re using an ANC bypass harness, you don’t need to swap pins.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I should caveat what I said:
If you’re using an ANC bypass harness, you don’t need to swap pins.
But should you if the polarity is still wrong for the speaker? What does the harness maker have to say?

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
My Red Wolf (same as Metra) harnesses were backwards to the polarity of the speakers (both stock and CDTs). I had to de-pin the harnesses and flip ‘em around. I did the AA battery trick to determine polarity for all the stock speakers and replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread