5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start not working when cold

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"VLV" usually means "valve". CL is a bit of a mystery, only thing I've been able to consistently find is "closed loop."

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Well.... that suck. I was hoping the the battery would have been the cure-all. I was able to find out that DTCM means Drive Train Control Module, I don't have a clue what Active CL and Temp VLV mean. Have you measured the voltage of your battery after letting it sit? Maybe the solution would be to install 2 batteries, but you shouldn't have to take drastic measures to cure the problem. I'm debating on the action the dealer should take as this is frustrating.

“...I just hit 10k miles with no issues until a week ago where my truck will also not remote start when it's about 40F or lower.”

Yeah my wife’s truck just gives me “that look” and refuses to start if below 40.
Somethin’ about girl trucks I think...

"VLV" usually means "valve". CL is a bit of a mystery, only thing I've been able to consistently find is "closed loop."
Well thank you all for your input. I too was hoping it was the battery and it sure was looking that way for a bit. Too all those whose dealer says their battery checked out fine their probably right in that regard but I'm willing to bet the affected people probably also have some sort of parasitic battery drain. In my case the problem first started when the outside temperatures dropped below -25 degrees celcius. Prior to that I never had a problem.

I realize not everyone has access to a multimeter of some sort but I use mine on so many different occasions around the house that I wouldn't be able to go without one. In my case a trip to the dealer is almost guaranteed now. We've so far determined that fuse F38 stands for DTCM (Drive Train Control Module) / Active CL (Closed Loop?) Temperature Valve. My guess now is it's probably a solenoid of some sort. What it's actually for I have no idea. Is there an issue with this actual valve or is the module not "sleeping" when it's supposed to, causing the battery drain. I might make a thread in the main section to see if anyone knows what this component actually is.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also now see where CL may actually stand for coolant. Active Coolant Temperature Valve maybe?

The best way would probably be to find someone (or pay for it yourself) with access to wiring diagrams, and look at the circuit that hooks into F38, see what it is connected to.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I also now see where CL may actually stand for coolant. Active Coolant Temperature Valve maybe?

The best way would probably be to find someone (or pay for it yourself) with access to wiring diagrams, and look at the circuit that hooks into F38, see what it is connected to.
Yeah that would make sense also. I just had a look with AlfaOBD under the DTCM and everything under there is related to the transfer case. I'm not sure if the transfer case needs any type of temperature control. However, as soon as I seen transfer case it got me thinking as the last few weeks I have been switching from 2 to 4wd quite frequently depending on road conditions so I'm wondering if it's related.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
I believe this is a simple software issue rather than a battery issue.

My fail log shows low battery voltage is the reason for the no start. But when I start the truck manually it fires up. To me this tells me the system check for battery voltage is too conservative and needs to be adjusted. Until then this problem will happen.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I believe this is a simple software issue rather than a battery issue.

My fail log shows low battery voltage is the reason for the no start. But when I start the truck manually it fires up. To me this tells me the system check for battery voltage is too conservative and needs to be adjusted. Until then this problem will happen.
It's an odd issue that's for sure. I never experienced any problems today the truck remote started just fine. I ran my errands and when I came home I popped the hood and locked the truck. Came back over 2 hours later with my meter, left the keyfob in the house so I wouldn't accidentally wake anything up. Battery was 12.62 volts and no parasitic draw. There intermittent issues are always a pain to deal with.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram with an Ecodiesel and last weekend it was cold out, before I attempted to start my truck I measured the battery, the battery measured 11.9V. I tried to remote start with the FOB and the truck honked once and failed to start. I then started my truck manually and moved it to the street so that I could remove the snow off my driveway, while removing the snow I left it running. I moved my truck back on to the driveway once I was done and shut if off. I was in the house for maybe 2 hours and decided to take my truck to Autozone to test the battery, I drove there and they tested it and told me that the battery had 74% charge and that the battery was good, which I thought was odd that the charge was that low. I then drove it home and once there I shut the truck off and measured the battery and it measured 12.29V, which to me indicates a bad battery as it should be 12.6V and above when at rest. I then put a battery tender on the battery and left it on over night and the next morning even though it was colder, the truck started just fine with the FOB. I took it to the dealer and they tested the battery, which took several hours, and they told me that my battery was fine and the performed an update to the BCM, which is supposed to correct this problem, we shall see soon enough as it's supposed to get cold again this weekend. If it didn't get fixed, I guess I will be out sever hundred for a new battery as the dealer will more than likely not replace it as it passed their test.

Had a similar experience after my battery fully died in the -9F high this week and the check engine light came on and stayed on after recharging the battery.

“...I just hit 10k miles with no issues until a week ago where my truck will also not remote start when it's about 40F or lower.”

Yeah my wife’s truck just gives me “that look” and refuses to start if below 40.
Somethin’ about girl trucks I think...

Hello everyone, we certainly are sorry to hear that you've been experiencing concerns with your remote start function - especially during these colder months! If you intend to or have already addressed this with your dealer and require additional support, please send our team a private message with your VIN. We would be more than willing to assist in resolving this for you!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Hello everyone, we certainly are sorry to hear that you've been experiencing concerns with your remote start function - especially during these colder months! If you intend to or have already addressed this with your dealer and require additional support, please send our team a private message with your VIN. We would be more than willing to assist in resolving this for you!

Kathryn
Ram Cares
K quotes my reply but didn’t read it I suppose...

RamCares

Reaction score
In Texas of all places, I woke up this morning to the same problem. Temps dropped to 28F last night - now no remote start. Like the rest, starts fine manually. I will call the dealer, but expecting to get the same runaround as the rest of you. My guess is, they are using cheap batteries in these things. I mean think about how many times during a city commute the engine starts and stops. That has to be hard on the battery. And if the manufacturer puts a mediocre battery in at assembly, it makes sense that they are drawing down when it gets colder out. My truck is not even 5 months old yet - this should not be happening, and FCA should make it right. I'll reserve judgement until I talk to the dealer, but my hopes are not high.

Next day update: So, this morning it was 3 degrees colder than yesterday, 25F, and the truck started fine using my remote key FOB - go figure?!
Please also keep us updated on your concern, @BNeal. If you should begin experiencing this concern in the future, do not hesitate to reach out privately for assistance alongside a dealer visit. Thank you,

Kathryn
Ram Cares

BNeal

Reaction score
Please also keep us updated on your concern, @BNeal. If you should begin experiencing this concern in the future, do not hesitate to reach out privately for assistance alongside a dealer visit. Thank you,

Kathryn
Ram Cares
Thanks, but so far it's only happened the one time. It was 5 deg F. here this morning and it fired right up from about 120 ft. away. Hopefully that one time was isolated.

jtodd5781

Reaction score
Thanks, but so far it's only happened the one time. It was 5 deg F. here this morning and it fired right up from about 120 ft. away. Hopefully that one time was isolated.
you're in Texas, hopefully this should be a rare event for you as it usually doesn't get that cold down there. But with us northerners it's a daily event during the winter months.

jtodd5781

Reaction score

Kathryn
Ram Cares
I sent you a private message with my VIN number and when/where I will be at my next appointment at the dealership.

jtodd5781

Reaction score
I'm wondering if RamCares will even respond to my message and contact the dealership?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering if RamCares will even respond to my message and contact the dealership?
They have been helpful to most others in the past. Sometimes they cannot help, but if its within their power, they usually do. Give them a chance.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Well... the truck is at the dealership now so we shall see.
Good luck to you, I hope they can resolve the issue. Just an update on mine, I let my truck sit all yesterday and it remote started fine this morning. Probably was sitting for somewhere between 30-40 hours total. I explained my issue to a mechanic friend of mine, he's a GM mechanic so not that knowledgeable on Ram's but he thinks the transfer case has a cooling system and since I've been going between 2wd and 4wd a lot lately, including 4wd at highway speeds my issue might be related to that. Hard to say if it was an issue with the module not sleeping or an actual issue with the hardware. I'll be trying to stay in 2wd for the next few days unless the weather gets really bad.

jtodd5781

Reaction score
Good luck to you, I hope they can resolve the issue. Just an update on mine, I let my truck sit all yesterday and it remote started fine this morning. Probably was sitting for somewhere between 30-40 hours total. I explained my issue to a mechanic friend of mine, he's a GM mechanic so not that knowledgeable on Ram's but he thinks the transfer case has a cooling system and since I've been going between 2wd and 4wd a lot lately, including 4wd at highway speeds my issue might be related to that. Hard to say if it was an issue with the module not sleeping or an actual issue with the hardware. I'll be trying to stay in 2wd for the next few days unless the weather gets really bad.
With the temperatures in Canada I wouldn't think the transfer case would need much cooling and it really shouldn't need cooling as it's just engaging gears unless there is a clutch of some sort in there. Do you have yours set for 4wd Auto or just 4wd? I always run mine in 4wd Auto.

jtodd5781

Reaction score
What was the temperature there this morning? It was -29°C this morning when I started my ecodiesel with the battery tender connected. I have never had an issue starting in the winter time when I owned a 2017 with the 5.7 Hemi.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
With the temperatures in Canada I wouldn't think the transfer case would need much cooling and it really shouldn't need cooling as it's just engaging gears unless there is a clutch of some sort in there. Do you have yours set for 4wd Auto or just 4wd? I always run mine in 4wd Auto.
My Rebel doesn't have 4wd Auto option I'm pretty sure it's the 44-45 transfer case. I agree with your assessment. All of that was based on the assumption regarding F38 fuse and what it's actually referring to. There's like no information out there on it.

What was the temperature there this morning? It was -29°C this morning when I started my ecodiesel with the battery tender connected. I have never had an issue starting in the winter time when I owned a 2017 with the 5.7 Hemi.
This morning it was -18 deg celcius. I'm with ya, I had my 2014 ram sport for 6 years and not only did I not have remote start issues, I never had any issues with the truck all!

jtodd5781

Reaction score
My Rebel doesn't have 4wd Auto option I'm pretty sure it's the 44-45 transfer case. I agree with your assessment. All of that was based on the assumption regarding F38 fuse and what it's actually referring to. There's like no information out there on it.

This morning it was -18 deg celcius. I'm with ya, I had my 2014 ram sport for 6 years and not only did I not have remote start issues, I never had any issues with the truck all!
I was looking at the diagram for the BW 44-45 transfer case and I noticed that it only has a mechanical oil pump, so I'm not sure if cooling is the reason for the parasitic loss. On my truck I'm assuming that I have the BW 44-44 transfer case as I have 4wd Auto which includes extra clutch disk in the case.

Users who are viewing this thread