5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Mount Oil Filter

Insanity

Reaction score
Oh, I agree with that. But part of the cost of the pacbrske kit is the custom mount for the filter which I would either have to modify, or just not use.
Plenty of remote mount oil filter parts available on summit and jegs. They don't look as cool , who cares right?, but will function just the same. The only thing with the pacbrake that I can see from the one I have is the billet components commanding more money. I mean common its a plate of steel bent with holes in it that imo isnt worth much.

I need to instal mine before it gets too cold or wait till it gets warm again.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also if you are going full custom you would need custom length lines to fit where you decide to locate the filter. At that point you may as well piece it together as the cost of the pacbrake wont make sense if you still need custom lines made. For me and my setup I was looking for a nice turn key solution that was designed for everything to fit and work as a kit. For that need, the pacbrake kit worked out perfect.
It's not hard to make -an lines. I added a oil cooler on my Dakota with oil filter adapter and -an fittings and line. Wasn't that hard.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
None at all. Not sure where or how vibration would transmit to the body or frame with this kit since the hoses isolate it completely.
"High quality product and a great solution to an existing maintenance nightmare. The only issue I had after installation is vibration. The hoses vibrate and it’s quite noticeable in the cab. It’s virtually impossible to route them without touching something. What I d however is wrapped additional heater hose around the hoses whoever they touched the frame of truck and it reduced the noise to a bearable level."
from a review below
https://www.amazon.com/Pacbrake-Pac...t=&hvlocphy=9031315&hvtargid=pla-607645578385

A-TEAM

Reaction score
There are hydraulic shops all around me that will make the lines while you wait. I have them made frequently for yacht autopilot installs. I agree they are easy to work with and the right way to do custom work by far. The cost of the pacbrake kit (besides the shiny cnc stuff) is you are paying for the engineering to already be done. All the correct fittings, all the hardware, all the mount plates, correct length lines, instructions and warranty. The system has been tested and is known to work correctly for the specific application. Its a box you get that has everything needed to complete the entire job without any custom work using high quality parts. To me thats worth the premium anyday.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
@bigdodge
I installed my kit with the hoses routed so they don’t hit the frame or interfere with any other parts. I have no noticeable noise or vibrations after the install.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got mine put on today
050e18f5c750aa0ec1331f5fad071118.jpg
49483ce7547d35d53b7e6499b62d8d53.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Link to this kit??

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
None at all. Not sure where or how vibration would transmit to the body or frame with this kit since the hoses isolate it completely.
The guy with the vibration put the kit a on a Cummons.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

6of36

Reaction score
Or this
The Earls kit doesn't have an engine adapter, only the filter end. The second one is a complete kit, but doesn't have the proper fittings for a Ram. You would end up having to buy new fittings, then have to fab brackets. You could make it work, but I actually ordered the Pacbrake yesterday. I would rather spend a little more, and get an engineered to fit, and bolt right on, rather than hodge podge something together. But that's just my opinion.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Earls kit doesn't have an engine adapter, only the filter end. The second one is a complete kit, but doesn't have the proper fittings for a Ram. You would end up having to buy new fittings, then have to fab brackets. You could make it work, but I actually ordered the Pacbrake yesterday. I would rather spend a little more, and get an engineered to fit, and bolt right on, rather than hodge podge something together. But that's just my opinion.
If you read the Earls kit, it has a block off for where the factory filter screwed on, and there are plugs in he block you would remove and screw the hoses in. Eliminating the oil filter pancake adapter. IMO, if that's correct, it would be the preferred way to do a remote mount.

And what do you mean "proper fittings" for the RAM? It's a universal kit with the correct threads on filter adapter to fit Hemi block. The rest is, as it says, universal. Make your own hoses.

Both kits give you flexibility about where you mount the remote filter. And for guys like me, who removed the mounts the pacbrske kit uses, it would be the better option. Saves money since sid have to come up with my own mounting for the pacbrske kit anyways, which would mean the hoses might not work for me, since they are meant specifically for having it mounted to AAD mount

And was just showing here were cheaper options than the Moroso pieces you referenced in the post I quoted. Figured you'd be able to make that connection. It's not like I was saying it was a better alternative for everyone

Last edited:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is this

The Earl's kit is for Gen 3 Hemi's. It's not clear if Gen 5's have the necessary ports drilled and threaded in the block, that would have to be checked out. If true, that might be better than the pancake adapter. However, it does not look like swage sleeves are included with the hose and fittings, so you'd have to source those somewhere or cobble it with worm clamps or something.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Earl's kit is for Gen 3 Hemi's. It's not clear if Gen 5's have the necessary ports drilled and threaded in the block, that would have to be checked out. If true, that might be better than the pancake adapter. However, it does not look like swage sleeves are included with the hose and fittings, so you'd have to source those somewhere or cobble it with worm clamps or something.
It's still a Gen III Hemi used in 5th Gen Rams.

6of36

Reaction score
If you read the Earls kit, it has a block off for where the factory filter screwed on, and there are plugs in he block you would remove and screw the hoses in. Eliminating the oil filter pancake adapter. IMO, if that's correct, it would be the preferred way to do a remote mount.

And what do you mean "proper fittings" for the RAM? It's a universal kit with the correct threads on filter adapter to fit Hemi block. The rest is, as it says, universal. Make your own hoses.

Both kits give you flexibility about where you mount the remote filter. And for guys like me, who removed the mounts the pacbrske kit uses, it would be the better option. Saves money since sid have to come up with my own mounting for the pacbrske kit anyways, which would mean the hoses might not work for me, since they are meant specifically for having it mounted to AAD mount

And was just showing here were cheaper options than the Moroso pieces you referenced in the post I quoted. Figured you'd be able to make that connection. It's not like I was saying it was a better alternative for everyone
I agree, the Pacbrake isn't for everybody, especially like you, modifying where it isn't bolt in. I didn't see anything saying you removed block plugs to do it, so that changes things. I was saying you would need different fittings, because if they came off straight from the factory location, the would not clear things. Yes there are ways to save money, but I like the lines on the Pacbrake better than build your own. To ME, it's worth it for that piece of mind.

6of36

Reaction score
I see you were already corrected about the generation thing, but I don't like those hoses either. You could still use a kit like that, but I would have custom hoses made. Napa makes custom hoses.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I see you were already corrected about the generation thing, but I don't like those hoses either. You could still use a kit like that, but I would have custom hoses made. Napa makes custom hoses.
Or make your own -an lines. They are easy to assemble and every bit as good as paying someone to make them.

And the Hemi in our trucks is still a Gen III Hemi

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I kind of like the flexibility of the Earls kit. I do see how the convenience of the Pacbrake would be nice though.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's still a Gen III Hemi used in 5th Gen Rams.

I follow you, it's the engine generation vs. the Ram. I think I'd still crawl under and verify that the bosses are drilled and tapped (and not blocked by a motor mount or cross member or ?) before plunking down money for a block-off kit.

Users who are viewing this thread