5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Mount Oil Filter

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I follow you, it's the engine generation vs. the Ram. I think I'd still crawl under and verify that the bosses are drilled and tapped (and not blocked by a motor mount or cross member or ?) before plunking down money for a block-off kit.
Oh, definitely

Ramboh

Reaction score
"High quality product and a great solution to an existing maintenance nightmare. The only issue I had after installation is vibration. The hoses vibrate and it’s quite noticeable in the cab. It’s virtually impossible to route them without touching something. What I d however is wrapped additional heater hose around the hoses whoever they touched the frame of truck and it reduced the noise to a bearable level."
from a review below
https://www.amazon.com/Pacbrake-Pac...t=&hvlocphy=9031315&hvtargid=pla-607645578385
The hoses for the pac brake kit do not touch the frame. One hose comes close to the trans cooler line, but just install some loom over the hose and it is good. I tried and you will not find a better kit than the pac brake.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The hoses for the pac brake kit do not touch the frame. One hose comes close to the trans cooler line, but just install some loom over the hose and it is good. I tried and you will not find a better kit than the pac brake.
When I looked at the reviews, the guy who said it hit, installed on a Cummins. Might as well take a review installing on a Tesla.:ROFLMAO:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Im pretty sure 99% of people here are not cutting mounts off the frame. The pacbrake kit is the obvious turnkey solution.
I agree, but, I was commenting on my truck and that it wouldn't be the best option for me. I never waivered from talking about my specific application.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
I agree, but, I was commenting on my truck and that it wouldn't be the best option for me. I never waivered from talking about my specific application.
Do you have any pics under your truck front bumper?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not at the moment. Looks the same, but without the mounts hanging down off the frame. With my front bumper, they stood out like a sore thumb and had to go. Which means the pacbrske filter would be easily visible from the side if i hadn't removed them

silver billet

Reaction score
Wix is known to be a rock catcher with pretty bad efficiency below 30 microns. Would never run that in a hemi.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wix is known to be a rock catcher with pretty bad efficiency below 30 microns. Would never run that in a hemi.
You are about the only person I have seen say negative things about Wix, other than me.

silver billet

Reaction score
I run wix on everything with zero issues.

You are about the only person I have seen say negative things about Wix, other than me.

Such is life guys. The specs and tests don't lie, Fram XG2 crushes the wix in every metric. Lots of discussion on "the other ram forum" and bitog about these filters. I'm just reporting the information I've picked up.

Normally I wouldn't care, I'd just run any filter, but the hemi is particularly sensitive with it's needle bearing failures, and its crucial that any deposits or carbon or varnish be kept out of those bearings at all costs. I'd never run anything with the poor efficiency rating of the wix on a hemi. Other cars its probably totally ok.

Edit: the hemi is also particularly a dirty engine. Double trouble when added to the lifter failures.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Such is life guys. The specs and tests don't lie, Fram XG2 crushes the wix in every metric. Lots of discussion on "the other ram forum" and bitog about these filters. I'm just reporting the information I've picked up.

Normally I wouldn't care, I'd just run any filter, but the hemi is particularly sensitive with it's needle bearing failures, and its crucial that any deposits or carbon or varnish be kept out of those bearings at all costs. I'd never run anything with the poor efficiency rating of the wix on a hemi. Other cars its probably totally ok.

Edit: the hemi is also particularly a dirty engine. Double trouble when added to the lifter failures.
You also have to take into account that, just like Fram, there are different "levels" of filtering for most brands of oil filters. And there are only a few companies that actually manufacture them. Most companies just pay to slap their name on a filter.

Mopar has used several different manufacturers over the years. Probably based on where they could get the best contract price at the time. And the manufacturers build the filters to the specs requested by the company putting their name on it

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, I have had bad experience with Wix in the last on my Dakota. It's the only filter Ive ever used on it that leaked. Plus it just felt so much cheaper than the Mobil1, K&N, and even the Mopar branded filters.

6of36

Reaction score

Yet I've seen a test, that Fram came in fourth or fifth, and Wix was 2nd. I guess it depends on who is doing the testing. I have used Fram, probably 40 or 50 times, but have no problem with Wix either. They do make filters for auto manufacturers.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yet I've seen a test, that Fram came in fourth or fifth, and Wix was 2nd. I guess it depends on who is doing the testing. I have used Fram, probably 40 or 50 times, but have no problem with Wix either. They do make filters for auto manufacturers.
Honestly, WIX has always worked for me. All the videos I watched said FRAM was garbage internally, but that may have changed.

silver billet

Reaction score

Honestly, WIX has always worked for me. All the videos I watched said FRAM was garbage internally, but that may have changed.

Fram has multiple lines. Their premium line is the one I'm referring to, either the ultra synthetic or their endurance line up. These are premium filters, and they have exceptional effiency, like 90% at 20 microns IIRC. They also flow well, and the endurance has metal backed synthetic media. Topped off by silicone anti-drain back valve.

Multiple tests are done on filters, there is no single metric that you can use to determine which filter is better. There is effiency, flow rates, media size, media type, canister thickness and so on.

The Frams mentioned above and the Royal Purple lineup are the only filters that would ever end up on my hemi. The RP's are a little less efficient but still very high. They have a slightly thicker can/material.

The Wix XP is apparently only 50% efficient at 20 microns vs 90 for the Fram ultra. That's pretty terrible. The purpose of an oil filter is to filter, and the fram ultra is almost twice as good at filtering at 20 microns.

Users who are viewing this thread