5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Mount Oil Filter

spyder

Reaction score
Apparently a "filter only" guy. I like to drain the old oil and put in fresh once in awhile, too. ;)
We're not draining a 300 gallon tank through a 1/4" hole. Remove drain plug, as its draining remove the filter. Install new filter. I guarantee by the time you've done that, you're down to a couple of ounces, if that, left that may drip out. Ten minutes in, once the new filter is on, I'm getting a drop every several seconds. Drain plus goes back in, wipe it off so it doesn't drip on the shop floor, stand up and start pouring in oil.

Waiting a half an hour for a couple of ounces of oil to drip out is silly.

Ready Go

Reaction score
I do better with Numbered Step by Step Instructions, maybe a Power Point presentation(?)🤣🤣🤣
(I sometimes lose my place when drinking beer..numbers help)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We're not draining a 300 gallon tank through a 1/4" hole. Remove drain plug, as its draining remove the filter. Install new filter. I guarantee by the time you've done that, you're down to a couple of ounces, if that, left that may drip out. Ten minutes in, once the new filter is on, I'm getting a drop every several seconds. Drain plus goes back in, wipe it off so it doesn't drip on the shop floor, stand up and start pouring in oil.

Waiting a half an hour for a couple of ounces of oil to drip out is silly.
Silly in your opinion. More thorough in my opinion. Plus I take that time to look at/inspect other parts of my truck. I'm not trying out for a job at a quick lube place. Seems you are trying to keep in practice for when you apply for one

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ive actually let mine sit in the garage and drain overnight a few times when I was not using the truck. Every. Last. Drop. 🔧
Better leave the hood open. You don't want to forget it was drained. I would never do that, because you never know when there is an emergency, and you have to leave immediately. That's why I never have an empty tank too. My parents both died a few years ago, but especially if you have older parents, or young kids, you need to be prepared. You never know when an emergency run to a hospital is required.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Better leave the hood open. You don't want to forget it was drained. I would never do that, because you never know when there is an emergency, and you have to leave immediately. That's why I never have an empty tank too. My parents both died a few years ago, but especially if you have older parents, or young kids, you need to be prepared. You never know when an emergency run to a hospital is required.
I have other vehicles I could drive in an emergency. I would never leave myself with no means of transportation. Obviously, I'm not the person you quoted, but I'd imagine the situation is similar

A-TEAM

Reaction score
I have access to other vehicles in case of an emergency. I also do leave the hood open as a precaution when I drain overnight because that disables the remote start. I suppose if you were really worried about it you could disconnect a battery terminal too, which I also do once and awhile to reset all the computers and keep the electrical system happy and reset the ecu tuning baseline.

CG Rob

Reaction score
It wasn't the time savings for me, I wanted to run the bigger filter. The factory filter size is pathetic.
That is the main reason for me to install a oil relocation kit as well. Just ordered the Pacbrake kit and researching larger filter options. What upsized filter is everyone using?

Thanks!

Ready Go

Reaction score
Mopar white SRT-MO-041 filter for me...which is manufactured by WIX (as HSKR R/T has stated).
If you check out any of Lake Speed Jr's videos on YouTube, he advocates WIX filters (my buddy that has a speed shop and races ProStock also advocates WIX filters).
I have a stock of SRT filters from my Challenger SRT392, so I'm sticking with them.
The SRT-MO-041 and Pacbrake HP10596 kit increased my oil volume to 7.5 quarts from 7.0 quarts OEM.

Attachments

• 20240316_134811.jpg
    20240316_134811.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 9

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is the main reason for me to install a oil relocation kit as well. Just ordered the Pacbrake kit and researching larger filter options. What upsized filter is everyone using?

Thanks!
If all you want to do is run a larger filter, the SRT filter fits in stock location. No need for a filter relocation kit. If you want to run a larger filter then that then you will probably need the relocation kit. Really no need for a huge filter

Ramboh

Reaction score

Thanks!
I was using the WIX 57899XP until further research discovered the Fram X2 Out filters the WIX so ive been running the X2 for the last year.

Ramboh

Reaction score
If all you want to do is run a larger filter, the SRT filter fits in stock location. No need for a filter relocation kit. If you want to run a larger filter then that then you will probably need the relocation kit. Really no need for a huge filter
yes it just barely fits in the stock location, i couldnt even get a filter socket on the filter without crunching some wire loom and hardly any room to swing a socket wrench in there. Wasnt good enough for me and the pac brake relocation has been the best thing ive done on the truck.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was using the WIX 57899XP until further research discovered the Fram X2 Out filters the WIX so ive been running the X2 for the last year.

The wix is a rock catcher. Its efficiency is pretty terrible at 99% @ 35 microns, Fram XG2 is 99+% efficient @ 20 microns with a 20,000 mile rating. I only go about 7500 max though.

These hemis need all the help they can get.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
yes it just barely fits in the stock location, i couldnt even get a filter socket on the filter without crunching some wire loom and hardly any room to swing a socket wrench in there. Wasnt good enough for me and the pac brake relocation has been the best thing ive done on the truck.
Fits fine for me. Use an oil filter wrench from the front, not the bottom.
Problem is getting it out. Need to remove a christmas tree push clip to more a harness to get it down, I keep the clip removed. With the original filter you could remove from the front too, but I couldn't get the srt to fit out the front.

My only problem is getting an oil udder to fit with the larger filter, I have the XXL so hopefully that fits but it's huge compared to the XL which fit the stock filter perfectly.

Ramboh

Reaction score
Problem is getting it out. Need to remove a christmas tree push clip to more a harness to get it down, I keep the clip removed. With the original filter you could remove from the front too, but I couldn't get the srt to fit out the front.

My only problem is getting an oil udder to fit with the larger filter, I have the XXL so hopefully that fits but it's huge compared to the XL which fit the stock filter perfectly.
you are proving why the relocation is a breathe of fresh air 😁. I have done it with and without and it sounds like you have only done it one way. relocation kit is awesome.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
you are proving why the relocation is a breathe of fresh air 😁. I have done it with and without and it sounds like you have only done it one way. relocation kit is awesome.
I'm not knocking the relocation kit, if I could trust it and it wasn't so crazy expensive I would of done it myself.
Just saying it is possible without it even with the srt filter

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you need to use a filter wrench and ratchet to install/remove a filter you are doing it wrong.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I have no issues getting my SRT filter in/out from the front. It won't drop down for sure

Users who are viewing this thread