5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recon LED Projector Headlights

Zackb347

Reaction score
Been on the fence about replacing the factory halogens. Couldn't decide between the mopar led kit from infotainment or the Recon LED's. Both are around a $1500 price point. I saw Recon had the Chrome LED versions with a 50% off coupon earlier this week so I saw that as a sign lol I was only able to find a few photos of the headlights actually installed and only of the blacked out version. I purchased the chrome versions since that's what the coupons was good for. Here's a picture of them when they got delivered yesterday, they're definitely very nice. Was a bit worried the chrome would look cheap but I think they look like a factory item. They seem to be sealed very well too. Hoping to instal them tomorrow and ill post some more pictures.

Recon 1.jpg Recon 2.jpg Recon 3.jpg

Reaction score
Please let us know if you had to run a fuse tap for the DRL's. Bought these also and waiting on tint kit to tint them before I installed them. I might have to wait on the fuse tap harness and module if DRL's don't come on when the headlights are turned off. Thanks for the post!

Kyles

Reaction score
Please let us know if you had to run a fuse tap for the DRL's. Bought these also and waiting on tint kit to tint them before I installed them. I might have to wait on the fuse tap harness and module if DRL's don't come on when the headlights are turned off. Thanks for the post!
I have them and you don’t need to tap anything. I have the Drl setting off in my truck and if you have the headlights one click from off the drl will be one

Zackb347

Reaction score
Just finished getting them in and just like Kyles said you don't need anything else, both plugs connected right up to the trucks harness and it worked just like the factory ones. Ill get some pictures of them at night. It was a bit hard to see with the sun right on them. I think the toughest part was getting the 10mm bolt out from inside the fender liner holding the front trim piece on. I broke one tab on each side by the grill trying to get the trim piece off but it went back on fine. Wasn't bad overall, took me about 2 hours and I had no extra bolts left over lol now I just need to do something about the fog lights. Maybe some pod lights or something

Recon 4.jpeg Recon 5.jpeg Recon 6.jpeg

Last edited:

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very nice. I’m currently placed and order for a 2022 Ram big horn and doesn’t have the led headlight package.

My current Laramie has them and it’s super bright and I like them. I’m debating either aftermarket led system like this, or just led replacement bulbs and call it a day.

Any pics of them on…at night..for reference? Also let’s see those turn signals as well. Thanks and keep up the good work

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just finished getting them in and just like Kyles said you don't need anything else, both plugs connected right up to the trucks harness and it worked just like the factory ones. Ill get some pictures of them at night. It was a bit hard to see with the sun right on them. I think the toughest part was getting the 10mm bolt out from inside the fender liner holding the front trim piece on. I broke one tab on each side by the grill trying to get the trim piece off but it went back on fine. Wasn't bad overall, took me about 2 hours and I had no extra bolts left over lol now I just need to do something about the fog lights. Maybe some pod lights or something

View attachment 98120 View attachment 98121 View attachment 98122

Look good. I think I'd have chosen the recons too, looks like they are LED Projector vs the Mopar being LED reflectors

Zackb347

Reaction score
I looked into just the led bulbs but once I saw them on sale I just went with the Recons. Ive had bad experiences with bulbs from amazon and didn't want to deal with it again. Ill get some shots tonight once it gets dark. I like the sequential turn signals a lot, they go off when you unlock and lock too. Yea they're definitely projectors not reflectors but just about anything is better then the halogens

Zackb347

Reaction score
So having these on for about a week I can say that the DRL led strips definitely don't work like I thought they did. Not sure if its something specific to my truck but when I select "drl on" in the uconnect settings the headlight projector comes on just not as bright as when I have it turned to headlights. When the headlights are on at night the top and bottom led's are lit as well as when I manually turn the knob to daytime lights but if I leave them on auto like I normally do the top and bottom led strips will not come on until the headlight does. Hopefully that made some kind of sense? Not sure if I need some kind of other harness to get them to work or not. Wasn't really trying to start splicing wires tho. I called Recon and they told me they weren't sure, they said it should be direct plug and play

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sounds like they're functioning as designed. The "DRL" strips seem like they're more of a parking light / running light, not a DRL. Activating your DRLs in your Uconnect is doing what your truck is currently programmed to do, run the low beams at half power. Without modifying the wiring, you're likely stuck with that setup. Or, you could go to the dealer and have them reprogram your trucks BCM to have the DRLs be switched to the parking lamps, which should then cause your DRL strips to come on when the truck is in drive / on.

Zackb347

Reaction score
Ah ok, that makes sense. I was looking some things up and it seems the Tazer DT would solve this as well as take care of a few other comfort features Ive been missing since trading in my bmw lol so maybe ill get that instead of going to the dealer for the flash. I got the picture by turning the knob to the DRL instead of headlight. Guess I was too excited to get them in and actually see at night. I really only realized when I saw the reflection on the back of a car while stopped at a red light. Not the end of the world tho, the lights are still great the way they are. Definitely glad I purchased them

Reaction score
Finally got these installed. I'm not sure about the tint. Will decide at night. But as of now I like them. Also don't like the fact that I have to drive around with the Parking lights on. But so far so good.

Attachments

• IMG_20210703_073033.jpg
    IMG_20210703_073033.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20210703_115425__01.jpg
    IMG_20210703_115425__01.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 118

Zackb347

Reaction score
I think they look really good with the tint, goes with the grill. I wish I could’ve gotten the painted bumpers and grill but was able to get a pretty good deal on this bighorn with the chrome. I ordered the Tazer module once it comes I’ll see if it fixes the drl thing, I keep forgetting to shut the lights off now lol did you upgrade the fog lights?

Reaction score
Thanks. I forget to turn them off too. Keep us posted on the Tazer. I have not switched out the fog lights yet but I plan to. As for the tint... It's days are numbered. Lol. I really like how it looks during the day. But my light output at night is worse than the stock halogens and I bought the "Light smoke"!

Zackb347

Reaction score
have a night shot? I wanted them, figured I was better off putting the money aside for some new tires tho haha

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got the recon smoked led tai l lights. Soo bright

I’m so ordering these. I saw them and fell in love with them. One thing I do want to do is tint them. I see that spider make similar ones like thins, so I’m going to order that one.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Reaction score
I’m so ordering these. I saw them and fell in love with them. One thing I do want to do is tint them. I see that spider make similar ones like thins, so I’m going to order that one.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
These are the "smoked" ones. No need for tint in my opinion. I also saw the spider ones. Only thing I wasn't convinced of was the OLED. It is white. I saw some reviews that Said it looks pink when on during the day.

Attachments

• IMG_20210706_190603__01.jpg
    IMG_20210706_190603__01.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 66

Users who are viewing this thread