5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recon LED Projector Headlights

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These are the "smoked" ones. No need for tint in my opinion. I also saw the spider ones. Only thing I wasn't convinced of was the OLED. It is white. I saw some reviews that Said it looks pink when on during the day.
Looking them up now. I see what you mean. The recon ones are like a cherry red and reflective, compared to the spider ones.

How do they look at night?

To be honest, I know I'm spending a little more on recon ones compared if I decided to go with the factory ones. That's why I didn't get the led package, because I wanted to get my own set that I like.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

Reaction score
have a night shot? I wanted them, figured I was better off putting the money aside for some new tires tho haha
Here are some night shots. I want to keep the stock wheels and add a leveling kit with some ko2 tires. But will have to wait a while. Funds are also running a bit low. Lol!

Attachments

• IMG_20210710_205324.jpg
    IMG_20210710_205324.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20210710_205321.jpg
    IMG_20210710_205321.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 50

twil72

Reaction score
I think they look really good with the tint, goes with the grill. I wish I could’ve gotten the painted bumpers and grill but was able to get a pretty good deal on this bighorn with the chrome. I ordered the Tazer module once it comes I’ll see if it fixes the drl thing, I keep forgetting to shut the lights off now lol did you upgrade the fog lights?
So did you get the JL Tazer and change the DRL and did it work? I just put the Recon headlights and taillights on my wifes truck and if that is the fix I will do it when I have my buddy who has an OBD flash my truck to turn on the passive entry. As far as fog lights I got some from LASFIT which is just changing the bulb but they are really nice.

Dave Witman

Reaction score
It sounds like they're functioning as designed. The "DRL" strips seem like they're more of a parking light / running light, not a DRL. Activating your DRLs in your Uconnect is doing what your truck is currently programmed to do, run the low beams at half power. Without modifying the wiring, you're likely stuck with that setup. Or, you could go to the dealer and have them reprogram your trucks BCM to have the DRLs be switched to the parking lamps, which should then cause your DRL strips to come on when the truck is in drive / on.
Would this make the DRLs in the Recon taillights work like the headlights would if you get the dealer to do this? I just bought my headlights and taillights not too long ago and this is my exact same situation the DRLs don't work. Just the low beam comes on.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would this make the DRLs in the Recon taillights work like the headlights would if you get the dealer to do this? I just bought my headlights and taillights not too long ago and this is my exact same situation the DRLs don't work. Just the low beam comes on.
DId you have the factory halogen or LED lights when you got the truck?

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had factory halogen
That's probably why they're not working. Your truck didn't come stock with the factory DRL strips. I'm almost sure the wiring for the halogen headlights vs the LED headlights is different from the factory. You'll have to wire in the DRLs another way if you're wanting them to come on.

Dave Witman

Reaction score
That's probably why they're not working. Your truck didn't come stock with the factory DRL strips. I'm almost sure the wiring for the halogen headlights vs the LED headlights is different from the factory. You'll have to wire in the DRLs another way if you're wanting them to come on.
But if i get the dealer to reprogram the drls to the parking lights shouldn't that work?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just curious...do these recons self-level, and "look" around corners like the factory ones on my Limited?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Other aftermarket headlights like Alpharex have a separate wire that is tapped into fuse F38 for the DRL signal and another wire that goes straight to the battery for power

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But if i get the dealer to reprogram the drls to the parking lights shouldn't that work?
Dealer cannot do this. There are actually 2 wires missing from the BCM to the lights. The only way is a adapter harness and AlfaOBD or the Tazer.

Dave Witman

Reaction score
Dealer cannot do this. There are actually 2 wires missing from the BCM to the lights. The only way is a adapter harness and AlfaOBD or the Tazer.
So what exactly do I have to do? Do I need to mess with wiring or is there a way around that? Not looking to spend a ton of money just to get the supposed DRLs to work

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jimmy07 makes an adapter harness for that conversion, very easy to install. It just plugs in between the OEM plugs and the lights. 2 wires needs to be run thru the fire wall and plugs in the BCM

Dave Witman

Reaction score
Jimmy07 makes an adapter harness for that conversion, very easy to install. It just plugs in between the OEM plugs and the lights. 2 wires needs to be run thru the fire wall and plugs in the BCM
Ok so that's just for the headlights right? And how can I get said harness?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so that's just for the headlights right? And how can I get said harness?
That's for the OEM head lights, correct. To install the LED tail lights, they are plug and play with one setting changed in the BCM.
Search for @Jimmy07 here on the forum and PM him, he'll take care of you.

Last edited:

5RAM7

Reaction score
I had factory halogen
I installed aftermarket led headlights with DRLs on my halogen setup. Everything was plug and play. You just have to make sure the led headlights you purchased are replacements for halogen setups. The way to tell would be an extra wire/cable with a fuse end that needs to be plugged into the fuse box. Scram1500 mentioned the slot number where the fuse need to be plugged in for the DRLs to work. Once everything is plugged in, make sure in your headlight settings that the daytime running lights are turned off. Having it on will run your lowbeams. Having it off will run the led strip DRLs only

Users who are viewing this thread