5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall: Tailgates coming open

Bob.

Reaction score
Anyone know what the dealer test is if you pass or fail? I should leave my tools home that day...

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know what the dealer test is if you pass or fail? I should leave my tools home that day...
They probably do the same thing I do, push on it and see if it clicks on both sides.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had mine done yesterday.

Background: My truck was built June 2022. I've had it since July 2022. It's always latched in a weird way. Seems like if I slam it shut it's fine. But if I shut it normally the right side would latch all the way and the left wouldn't.

They had the truck back in there for about ten minutes and then said the issue on my truck is that the tailgate wasn't aligned side to side properly from the factory. Like, the tolerances in the bedsides were off just a little. So they adjusted it best they could. Now both of my latches click at the same time and it's all uniform, but I have to close it with force still. A little more force than I'd like. Maybe it'll loosen up just a bit over time.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have to slam my mft but it's not included in any recall lol. I can put all my body weight into it so it latches, but the digital computer that controls its software release latches doesn't think it's closed so you can't open it the other way and need to reopen it, slam it, then can change.
My dealerships nearby say they have never worked on an mft before and say it's normal to slam it lol.
My old silverado I could shut with 1 hand by gently pushing it in slowly until it clicked, less pressure then closing a door. This was after they put a tailgate on it from another truck on the lot as I had to slam it new.

At least when I slam it, it closes for sure.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got letter, and email, and a note on my registration renewal. Wish they'd put that kind of effort into stuff that's more seriously broke. :rolleyes:
And today I got a 'bot phone call about it. There's no end...

mmcbeat

Reaction score
I took my 2021 in today. Had an appointment and spent a total of about 45 minutes at the dealership. Mine just required an inspection, no adjustment needed. I was just wanting to get my Ram off the recall list. Mission accomplished.

BigJocko

Reaction score
Good heavens - this thread, all I wanted out of it is to check my passenger side striker. I notice it doesn't always latch correctly, I open tailgate and close harder then tug on the gate to ensure it's locked. Call me old school, my 70 chevy tailgate was more force/check/verify approach is so ingrained in me I never thought twice about it. I do need an oil change so will have it adjusted, hopefully realign the gate as my gap on the left is more pronounced than the right...annoying.

There are some paranoid people on here, but rule of thumb for "normies" - is take it to the dealer, yes some dealers suck, find one that doesn't suck as bad. Otherwise, get handy and fix it your self or find someone who can.

*Ammo - I never put my ammo in the bed, always the cab - I'm ultra paranoid about my ammo. Sucks I lost everything in that boating accident though....

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good heavens - this thread, all I wanted out of it is to check my passenger side striker. I notice it doesn't always latch correctly, I open tailgate and close harder then tug on the gate to ensure it's locked. Call me old school, my 70 chevy tailgate was more force/check/verify approach is so ingrained in me I never thought twice about it. I do need an oil change so will have it adjusted, hopefully realign the gate as my gap on the left is more pronounced than the right...annoying.

There are some paranoid people on here, but rule of thumb for "normies" - is take it to the dealer, yes some dealers suck, find one that doesn't suck as bad. Otherwise, get handy and fix it your self or find someone who can.

*Ammo - I never put my ammo in the bed, always the cab - I'm ultra paranoid about my ammo. Sucks I lost everything in that boating accident though....
Last week, I parked right next to another black TRX, so I had to strike up a conversation with the owner. The tailgate thing came up, and he told me that he lost $16,000-worth of guns out of the bed of his truck when he was driving out to the country for some target practice. The tailgate came open somewhere along the way. Two weeks later, he got the notice in the mail about the recall. Said he's filed a claim with FCA, but not sure where it will go.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last week, I parked right next to another black TRX, so I had to strike up a conversation with the owner. The tailgate thing came up, and he told me that he lost $16,000-worth of guns out of the bed of his truck when he was driving out to the country for some target practice. The tailgate came open somewhere along the way. Two weeks later, he got the notice in the mail about the recall. Said he's filed a claim with FCA, but not sure where it will go.
If you park next to him again, let us know his outcome. I might have to lose some stuff too.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is that the new "boating accident" excuse?

U

User_119824

Got this fixed at the dealer on my '22. Never had an issue nor any problem opening/closing. Guess I got lucky.

Bob.

Reaction score
Had the recall service done yesterday. They open and close the gate a few times. My test was before the oil change. It lasted 10 seconds. I left my dash cam on and spied on them. lol

Users who are viewing this thread