5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall of High Pressure Fuel Pump

Csapp05

Reaction score
I'm thinking some of the confusion is trying to figure out what needs to be replaced, ie if the dealer doesn't see any metal contamination, replace the pump only. If their is metal then it turns into a major replacement parts procedure, pump, lines, injectors etc. When the CP4 pump fails, it sends metal shavings throughout the fuel system. I'm thinking the recall is hoping to replace vs repair.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a PDF procedure posted above, It is 131 pages, so don't hit the print button unless you really mean it.

I believe there is the pump and two fuel lines as a basic recall.

Then there is the whole Fuel System if the pump Eats itself.

Malodave

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went today for a steering wheel spring noise. Get told the HPFP recall part is available late next year by the advisor. Go to waiting room and call Stellantis customer service up here in Canada. Tell them the story. They say there are lots of pumps / etc for the recall. They call the dealership as Im sitting on hold. I can hear the parts manager talking at the parts desk. Customer service dude then says ok sir the dealer has 2 and can replace it now if you’d like to leave the truck. Service advisor walks in couple minutes later looking like an angry pit viper (she is BRUTAL). She’s spitting she’s so mad and proceeds to say she read something wrong and didn’t know blah blah blah all BS and excuses. Call her out for flat out lying to my face repeatedly as this is the third time I asked about parts availability since the letters arrived and was told every time - middle / late next year. She hesitantly apologizes and doesn’t mean it. Leave my truck. Wonder what they will do to it to screw me over now. Hmmmmm. Awesome.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Went today for a steering wheel spring noise. Get told the HPFP recall part is available late next year by the advisor. Go to waiting room and call Stellantis customer service up here in Canada. Tell them the story. They say there are lots of pumps / etc for the recall. They call the dealership as Im sitting on hold. I can hear the parts manager talking at the parts desk. Customer service dude then says ok sir the dealer has 2 and can replace it now if you’d like to leave the truck. Service advisor walks in couple minutes later looking like an angry pit viper (she is BRUTAL). She’s spitting she’s so mad and proceeds to say she read something wrong and didn’t know blah blah blah all BS and excuses. Call her out for flat out lying to my face repeatedly as this is the third time I asked about parts availability since the letters arrived and was told every time - middle / late next year. She hesitantly apologizes and doesn’t mean it. Leave my truck. Wonder what they will do to it to screw me over now. Hmmmmm. Awesome.

No one single emoji is relative so I'm replying. LOL

:ROFLMAO::mad::confused:(y):unsure:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tell her you want to see the old one after the recall is complete. Because you want to make sure it was actually done. ;)

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Old pit viper called me at 1700. Said it was all done. Sounded as happy as a wet fart. Good times. I pick it up tomorrow. We shall see. Lmfao.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm thinking some of the confusion is trying to figure out what needs to be replaced, ie if the dealer doesn't see any metal contamination, replace the pump only. If their is metal then it turns into a major replacement parts procedure, pump, lines, injectors etc. When the CP4 pump fails, it sends metal shavings throughout the fuel system. I'm thinking the recall is hoping to replace vs repair.
This isn't hard, if the truck is driven to the dealer it gets a pump. If the truck doesn't run and needs to be towed to dealer it gets everything in the system.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah. Exactly. My original died and I got a new original lines etc . Now they put in the new one….pump , seal and something else I can’t decipher on the parts list. Just picked it up. Pit viper was so happy to see me in all her joy she accidentally tossed the work order across the desk and onto the floor. I often wonder how dealer service departments hire service advisors…I take it they aren’t trained mechanics ? The guys in the shop were always great to talk to but the advisors - awful.

Triton63

Reaction score
Yeah. Exactly. My original died and I got a new original lines etc . Now they put in the new one….pump , seal and something else I can’t decipher on the parts list. Just picked it up. Pit viper was so happy to see me in all her joy she accidentally tossed the work order across the desk and onto the floor. I often wonder how dealer service departments hire service advisors…I take it they aren’t trained mechanics ? The guys in the shop were always great to talk to but the advisors - awful.
Of all the different dealerships I've been to, the only time they have been nice is when I'm buying a vehicle. Unfortunately the CDJR dealer 5 mins from my house wasn't even nice then. I get a kick out of you calling her pit viper.

Notice anything different with the new pump on? Do you happen to know if they had to reflash the tune on the truck?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Like everything else, it varies.

My oldest was a Master Audi Tech, Master Mercedes Tech, and Lead Tech for both brands, before he moved into a Service Advisor position at Mercedes, which for him was a step to becoming Service Manager, a position he now holds - back to his roots with VW. When he was an advisor, he did have an advantage in knowing the systems inside out. He always tried to do what was in the customer's best interest, but said it was a tough job to keep the customer happy while also protecting his job, his techs, and the dealer bottom line.

askthesun

Reaction score
The dealer I called to book the recall said they are only allowed to order one kit per week. I was the second person to have called and book in for the 12th of December.

Have two other recalls being done at the same time aswell as front sway bar bushings (again…) they lasted a whole 15k km this time. And my rear park assist has been saying “service” since it got cold and snowy and now refuses to identify any object behind my truck.

The dealer I am using for the recalls mentioned nothing about an inspection before the recall is performed, but wasn’t sure if parts would arrive in time even when booking so far in advance. This is in southern Ontario.
Same here. Was put on a wait list, will be serviced in four months or so. Confirmed with dealer that the kit includes a CP3 pump, and dealer stated that a whole-system inspection will be conducted to assess if damage to others fuel system parts requires attention.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did your back go out as you lunged away? Paper cuts are to be feared. Cuts, painful enough as they are, can lead to infections, gangrene, and amputation. It would be natural to have an adrenaline magnified startle reflex, jump too hard, and end up with back spasms a day or two later.

You may want to have a doctor (and a lawyer) check you out. ;)

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Confirmed with dealer that the kit includes a CP3 pump
It is still a CP4 pump. That is what the sticker on the new pump says. Many people have assumed it was a new CP3 design like the one the Cummins received in its recall. The new pumps look nearly identical to the originals.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is still a CP4 pump. That is what the sticker on the new pump says. Many people have assumed it was a new CP3 design like the one the Cummins received in its recall. The new pumps look nearly identical to the originals.
Do you know what's different about the new pumps (CP4) compared to the old ones (CP4)?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you know what's different about the new pumps (CP4) compared to the old ones (CP4)?
I heard they made it to prevent bucket rotating and chewing itself up. But that is a rumor, nothing concrete

Reactions: c3k

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW, I called my local RAM dealer to schedule my HPFP recall. (This is Z96 recall. I also need Y81, which reschedules (increases?) DEF usage.) The service department transferred me to the "Customer Relations" person. She did not answer. (Tried 5 times over 2 days.) I left a message. Supposedly she is also dealing with all the airbag recalls (other cars). So, I have no idea how long it will be for a return call, nor, once I get a callback, how long it will be until I can get the HPFP swapped.

I may swap dealers.

jhoffy22

Reaction score

Seems they have a system and process they're following for this.

db252

Reaction score
After leaving my truck for a month at the dealership, my fuel pump has finally been changed out. Good luck to the rest.

Reactions: c3k

Denniss58

Reaction score
I had my fuel pump changed out last week. The day after I picked it up...the check engine light comes on. I took it in and they reset it. Something about the computer was detecting a different reading with the new HPFP and kicking the censor light. She mumbled a number when she reset it and told me to schedule an appointment if it came back on. It came back on. I will DEFINATELY get the code when they look at it this coming Monday. After reading all of these posts... I'm getting concerned . My Ram 1500 ecodiesel has 49,000 on it. It has run fine up to this point.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Couldn’t get the fuel pump recall completed today as all of the parts are back ordered except for the pump itself.

Dealer also did not have the parking sensor harness in stock that my truck needs, all of the rear sensors are offline or shorted to ground or power.

And my clunking noise is the front drivers side caliper mount the figure, which is 2+ weeks out.

Headed back north with the paperwork from the dealer, hopefully the closest dealer up there will order the parts and do the repair without multiple trips.

Users who are viewing this thread