5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Hello all,
Finally got the leak taken care of and it’s time to put the new headliner in. They tried telling me that if they break my windshield in the process of putting a new one in, I am liable for it. How does that make any sense. They sold me a truck that leaked, and caused damage to the inside. Now I’m supposed to pay for a windshield if they damage it??

anyone else have this happen?
I had my window replaced, third brake light replaced and antenna mount replaced to fix my leak, and to my knowledge they did not replace the windshield. I know they had to drop the headliner to replace the antenna and probably the back window and light as well. You can't tell they dropped it except for some minor smudges and prints on the liner.

20RamRebel20

Reaction score
I’ve read all of these posts about the rear window leaking, frame crack, third brake light leaking, etc. But has anyone had an issue with the rear window shattering?
I have a 2020 Rebel 4wd bought brand new owned about 4 months now. Went over a couple bumps in the dirt and it just shattered. Wasn’t driving all crazy as I had my kid in the back seat. It was like the pressure of the cab moving and coming down going over the bump shattered the window.

Went to the dealer soon as I got back later that day and they didn’t even want to look at it or try to help at all.

I checked my warranty and it says it covers the back window under the 12mo/12k mile warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE: went to a different dealership today and the manager was super cool and helpful. He went straight to the inside to look for cracks in the frame that everyone has been having to see if that was related. He took pictures to send to corporate. All in all he said they are going to order me a new window and replace it for me.
20e19afa7cb4511d1a8f42e310b748bd.jpg

cbd37276457d4747b908ed7fb280257b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
On a side note, I spoke with someone from Mopar services that handles extended warranties. They said that windows, including frame cracks ARE NOT COVERED by any extended warranty. This also applies to the paint and trim.

So unless your dealer tries to help you out, you are SOL for a rear window leak if out of your standard 3 yr / 36K warranty. I wonder if I should arrange to go hit some more off-road trails before my warranty is up to make sure I get a crack while still under warranty :)

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On a side note, I spoke with someone from Mopar services that handles extended warranties. They said that windows, including frame cracks ARE NOT COVERED by any extended warranty. This also applies to the paint and trim.

So unless your dealer tries to help you out, you are SOL for a rear window leak if out of your standard 3 yr / 36K warranty. I wonder if I should arrange to go hit some more off-road trails before my warranty is up to make sure I get a crack while still under warranty :)
...and what a difference a dealer makes!

Glad you received the proper resolution to this issue.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053088 miles.

bourgeois

Reaction score
Mine is cracked not leaking but I’m having it replaced.

If it starts to leak outside the 3/36k then I have no recourse. If I get it replaced now, then it buys me another 2 years.
Mine is cracked but not leaking. Did the dealership replace without water leaking? Is only having the crack call for replacement?

Kewlone2gq

Reaction score
A big thank you to Rich51 for starting this thread. I was cleaning my rear windows today and thought I was tripping. I saw what looked like a crack and when touched it. Said WTH when a peice of it fell off. My 2019 only has 15K miles on it, so I googled this issue and discovered this thread. My crack is in the exact same area I see on photos, but no water leaks yet. Looks like I will be going to the dealership. Now to my other concern!!! Can anyone here or RamCares let me know if I will be compensated for the expensive tint I have on the rear windows? Not cool that a defect calls for a full replacement and making me spend money to do something again.

yellowboy

Reaction score
A big thank you to Rich51 for starting this thread. I was cleaning my rear windows today and thought I was tripping. I saw what looked like a crack and when touched it. Said WTH when a peice of it fell off. My 2019 only has 15K miles on it, so I googled this issue and discovered this thread. My crack is in the exact same area I see on photos, but no water leaks yet. Looks like I will be going to the dealership. Now to my other concern!!! Can anyone here or RamCares let me know if I will be compensated for the expensive tint I have on the rear windows? Not cool that a defect calls for a full replacement and making me spend money to do something again.
If they cover it you would be the first

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2019 Lone Star and the windshield cracked on day 6 of ownership with no signs of a strike. Due to COVID, it literally had 21 miles on it which was due to taking it in for a full tint including clear ceramic tint on the front windshield (a $250 add on). I took it to the dealer to look at it and he stated it appeared to be improper installation of the windshield at the factory. He called FCA who covered it under warranty but then he indicated the $250 windshield tint was not covered since it was an “aftermarket add-on.” He said if I would have had it installed by them, then he could have worked with me but as is I was out the $250. (At least they covered the windshield)

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
They pumping out 1200 per day. there is no quality control. :ROFLMAO:
After watching a video on how they assemble these truck son you tube, they show the quality inspection area and they go threw them so fast it is a miracle they check anything. Hell, plus there's a ton of slow senior citizens looking at them, so slow they probably miss things, and they are never looking at the inside just the outside.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After watching a video on how they assemble these truck son you tube, they show the quality inspection area and they go threw them so fast it is a miracle they check anything. Hell, plus there's a ton of slow senior citizens looking at them, so slow they probably miss things, and they are never looking at the inside just the outside.
17DC0E29-89BC-4DA7-9C9A-2951157DF606.jpeg

Jako

Reaction score
I hear Chrysler workers work best Tuesday thru Thursday , as Monday they are still Hung over and Friday they want out of the building.
Lucky me, Tues - Thurs build, good so far, well except the battery, MDS groan, tailgate cable, back up camera, 8.5 nav. Well maybe a Mon - Thur or a Tues - Fri. But it's not Fri and Mon build.

steindog

Reaction score
Finally went in today for my crack/leak and they only took photo's of the crack to submit for approval to replace. I told them my own water test revealed a slow leak right where the crack is and they took my word for it. Does anyone know if the slider window assembly with defrost is readily available right now or is there a good chance it will be backordered? Thanks.

Toolbox

Reaction score
Finally went in today for my crack/leak and they only took photo's of the crack to submit for approval to replace. I told them my own water test revealed a slow leak right where the crack is and they took my word for it. Does anyone know if the slider window assembly with defrost is readily available right now or is there a good chance it will be backordered? Thanks.
Mine took about 8 weeks as well. Had it installed about 4 weeks ago too. I would expect to wait. Loved having my truck covered with a tarp for a month and a half every night lol.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine took 8 weeks to get and that was 4 months ago.
Wow, that is a long time. The dealer I used had a glass shop do the work and order the window, the dealer's words to me, was that the independent glass shop could get the glass much faster than the dealer itself🤷‍♂️ but they had my glass within a few days.

Seems odd, but my truck was fixed in a very timely fashion so no complaints from me.

Reaction score
Well my first post on the forum. I discovered the 2 cracks in the rear window frame this week and water on the back seat. I’m at 30k miles, lucky I made it this far it seems.

Took it to the dealership, they replaced the rear glass but the problems are what has followed after:

-they left the barcode stickers on the glass and it was super dirty, not a super big deal but not a clean finished job

-they left the whole old power rear sliding rear window assembly in the bed of my truck! Seriously? Do they expect me to haul off the old back window?

-the middle seatbelt no longer retracts since they removed the rear seat

-the middle seatbelt guide isn’t even installed back properly, the seatbelt is literally fed back through the wrong hole

-the side seatbelts were stuck behind the back seat and it took me 15min to dig them out

-the back door seal is now torn up

-the plastic covers that hide the screws for the trim are broken and do not stay in, they fall out going down bumpy roads

-to top it off the invoice says they replaced my floor mat for recall and didn’t even tell me. AND the invoice says they replaced my third brake light but they didn’t. I can tell it’s the original 3rd brake light because it has scratches on it and bugs inside of it!

My local dealer is a joke, not the first issue I’ve had with them. I already called and filed a complaint with Ram, they claim a case manager will be calling me next week

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Well my first post on the forum. I discovered the 2 cracks in the rear window frame this week and water on the back seat. I’m at 30k miles, lucky I made it this far it seems.

Took it to the dealership, they replaced the rear glass but the problems are what has followed after:

-they left the barcode stickers on the glass and it was super dirty, not a super big deal but not a clean finished job

-they left the whole old power rear sliding rear window assembly in the bed of my truck! Seriously? Do they expect me to haul off the old back window?

-the middle seatbelt no longer retracts since they removed the rear seat

-the middle seatbelt guide isn’t even installed back properly, the seatbelt is literally fed back through the wrong hole

-the side seatbelts were stuck behind the back seat and it took me 15min to dig them out

-the back door seal is now torn up

-the plastic covers that hide the screws for the trim are broken and do not stay in, they fall out going down bumpy roads

-to top it off the invoice says they replaced my floor mat for recall and didn’t even tell me. AND the invoice says they replaced my third brake light but they didn’t. I can tell it’s the original 3rd brake light because it has scratches on it and bugs inside of it!

My local dealer is a joke, not the first issue I’ve had with them. I already called and filed a complaint with Ram, they claim a case manager will be calling me next week

Welcome to the current state of FCA dealership network customer service. I actually tried to get my driver's seat floormat replaced under recall, I keep getting notices from FCA, but their dealership service departments suck in actually getting it arranged.

As for the rear window crack, I am less than a year away from my bumper to bumper warranty that would cover it. I was considering getting an extended warranty from Mopar in case it doesn't crack before my original warranty ends, but from everyone I've spoken to, none of the extended warranties would cover it anways.

Even if it cracks while under warranty, I honestly think that I will simply fill the cracks with sealant instead of going through the invasive process of replacement, because I don't want to deal with the dealership doing to me what they have done to you. I'll seal the cracks from the inside top, then cover the interior cracks with some black tape and call it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread