5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

yellowboy

Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 19. I'm just over the 36k warranty, so my local dealership told me it's not covered, and it's a $1400 repair. They said the issue is both the frame and the 3rd brake light. I also have an extended warranty, but they denied coverage too by saying that it's a body part, which is not covered. ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That sucks, mine was repaired under warranty and I am waiting for some heavy rain to put my leer cap back on. I have an extended warraty, I didn't know this stuff wasnt covered. If the leak isnt fixed this time I won't need the warranty , I'll get rid of the truck. Wonder if a Mopar warranty is refundable before the 3/36 ?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 19. I'm just over the 36k warranty, so my local dealership told me it's not covered, and it's a $1400 repair. They said the issue is both the frame and the 3rd brake light. I also have an extended warranty, but they denied coverage too by saying that it's a body part, which is not covered. ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please don't roll over and play dead. Find a listing for a lawyer, any lawyer and right the name down. Call the dealership and ask for the Service Manager. Explain to the Service manager that you have consulted with the lawyer (name you wrote down) and they have instructed you to offer the dealership one more opportunity to contact FCA on your behalf to correct this known warranty covered repair and you have documentation to prove that FCA is covering rear defective windows for affected Ram trucks, especially those close to warranty cuttoff or extended warranties.

TRUST ME, the service manager does not get paid enough to call your bluff and is VERY aware of this issue since it's as huge as the clunk and Rambox issues that ALL the dealers know about... they just don't want to help you.

If that (for some insane reason) doesn't work... go to another dealer.

Reaction score
Please don't roll over and play dead. Find a listing for a lawyer, any lawyer and right the name down. Call the dealership and ask for the Service Manager. Explain to the Service manager that you have consulted with the lawyer (name you wrote down) and they have instructed you to offer the dealership one more opportunity to contact FCA on your behalf to correct this known warranty covered repair and you have documentation to prove that FCA is covering rear defective windows for affected Ram trucks, especially those close to warranty cuttoff or extended warranties.

TRUST ME, the service manager does not get paid enough to call your bluff and is VERY aware of this issue since it's as huge as the clunk and Rambox issues that ALL the dealers know about... they just don't want to help you.

If that (for some insane reason) doesn't work... go to another dealer.
Thanks for the info. The dealership that I bought it from, which is 2.5 hours away (not my local dealer that refused to help) is stepping up and getting it fixed. They even brought me a loaner to drive. A shout out to Marthaler CJDR in Worthington MN!

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forgive me for not going back through this whole thread - I just picked up a new '21...my '19 had this issue. Has this issue been fixed on the '21s? I've only had the truck a couple of days. I was nervous yesterday during a rain storm but didn't notice any leaks....yet.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Forgive me for not going back through this whole thread - I just picked up a new '21...my '19 had this issue. Has this issue been fixed on the '21s? I've only had the truck a couple of days. I was nervous yesterday during a rain storm but didn't notice any leaks....yet.

You should be good, the provision on the TSB is for 2019 - 2020. We are assuming the 2021 have the revised rear windows. Did you notice the design of you 21', does the frame look any different?

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should be good, the provision on the TSB is for 2019 - 2020. We are assuming the 2021 have the revised rear windows. Did you notice the design of you 21', does the frame look any different?
Not that I can tell. Appears to be the same as my 2019 was. I did read they redesigned the 3rd brake light seal. But without taking mine off to inspect, I don't know how to confirm if I have the updated version or not. I read if you take the 3rd brake light off, that breaks the factory seal and may speed up the leak process...

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Not that I can tell. Appears to be the same as my 2019 was. I did read they redesigned the 3rd brake light seal. But without taking mine off to inspect, I don't know how to confirm if I have the updated version or not. I read if you take the 3rd brake light off, that breaks the factory seal and may speed up the leak process...

Absolutely about the 3rd brake light removal. That could compromise the original seal and possibly cause water leaks from that area. Most folks will update their seal with an aftermarket unit if they remove the 3rd brake light.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely about the 3rd brake light removal. That could compromise the original seal and possibly cause water leaks from that area. Most folks will update their seal with an aftermarket unit if they remove the 3rd brake light.
Ya, I'm just going to leave mine be and hope they fixed the issue when my truck was built.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Ya, I'm just going to leave mine be and hope they fixed the issue when my truck was built.

I hear you, I have a 2019 with no cracks and I have 1 year left on my bumper to bumper warranty. Hope mine is one of those that doesn't crack.

I was thinking about getting an extended warranty, but I hear they don't cover the crack anyways. I may just go with the sealant fix should they crack in the future beyond the warranty period.

ccm2001

Reaction score
i was at the dealer getting a Recall done, i sat in a 2021 longhorn, the rear window had the same Knit marks ( cracks) as the older ones. seems to be using the same windows in some 2021's

20RamRebel20

Reaction score
I’ve read all of these posts about the rear window leaking, frame crack, third brake light leaking, etc. But has anyone had an issue with the rear window shattering?
I have a 2020 Rebel 4wd bought brand new owned about 4 months now. Went over a couple bumps in the dirt and it just shattered. Wasn’t driving all crazy as I had my kid in the back seat. It was like the pressure of the cab moving and coming down going over the bump shattered the window.

Went to the dealer soon as I got back later that day and they didn’t even want to look at it or try to help at all.

I checked my warranty and it says it covers the back window under the 12mo/12k mile warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewdad

Reaction score
I’ve read all of these posts about the rear window leaking, frame crack, third brake light leaking, etc. But has anyone had an issue with the rear window shattering?
I have a 2020 Rebel 4wd bought brand new owned about 4 months now. Went over a couple bumps in the dirt and it just shattered. Wasn’t driving all crazy as I had my kid in the back seat. It was like the pressure of the cab moving and coming down going over the bump shattered the window.

Went to the dealer soon as I got back later that day and they didn’t even want to look at it or try to help at all.

I checked my warranty and it says it covers the back window under the 12mo/12k mile warranty.

Everything is covered under the 12/12 warranty, even wear items like brake pads & windshield wipers.

20RamRebel20

Reaction score
Everything is covered under the 12/12 warranty, even wear items like brake pads & windshield wipers.

Yeah that’s what I saw in the warranty after that dealer refused to even look at the window. I’ll be going to a different dealer in a couple days when I’m off from work.

tonyplants

Reaction score
Screenshot? Can’t open the file
This might help
8842ae4f46c0c35e1ea033f3847e083d.jpg
d4c82e3910d39e287cc4acc6cbe7d37e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This isn't a confirmation, but to the best of my knowledge I don't believe I've heard of a 2021 with this issue.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052936 miles.

Billy738

Reaction score
Hello all,
Finally got the leak taken care of and it’s time to put the new headliner in. They tried telling me that if they break my windshield in the process of putting a new one in, I am liable for it. How does that make any sense. They sold me a truck that leaked, and caused damage to the inside. Now I’m supposed to pay for a windshield if they damage it??

anyone else have this happen?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello all,
Finally got the leak taken care of and it’s time to put the new headliner in. They tried telling me that if they break my windshield in the process of putting a new one in, I am liable for it. How does that make any sense. They sold me a truck that leaked, and caused damage to the inside. Now I’m supposed to pay for a windshield if they damage it??

anyone else have this happen?
I haven't followed your thread on this, so I'm assuming this is under warranty.

The factory service manual directs the windshield be removed as part of the headliner removal/installation procedure. However, I've witnessed a headliner removal on a Ram DT and the windshield was not removed at all. Instead this tech removed the front and rear seats.

The odd thing about the statement is the windshield is much more prone to being damaged by removing it. I'm not sure how they could break it during installation.

Did they ask you to sign a waiver on this?

In any event, if they're replacing the headliner under warranty and any damage is on them.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053061 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread