5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Toolbox

Reaction score
Been at the dealership for almost 2 weeks. Was just called that the new eta on the window is May 19th......dealerships an hour away with no loaner so I’m contemplating just leaving it there until it gets fixed. Frustrating to say the least. Have had a few rain storms since I dropped it off too so assuming the inside needs a full detail. Will keep everyone posted on my issue.
After over a month + finally had the window replaced. Took it through a car wash a few days later and all seems well. Will need to have it retinted but seems good to go.

funny they almost let me drive off the lot with the old window in the bed of the truck. Service manager came running after me to grab it as the dealership would apparently take a loss on the fix if they didn’t have the old window to show to corporate

Billy738

Reaction score
Is this gap in the weather stripping below the light on the window supposed to be like this?

Attachments

• FC9C3B56-2496-4426-85D7-EABED2223078.jpeg
    FC9C3B56-2496-4426-85D7-EABED2223078.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 139

Synergy26

Reaction score
Nobody has pictures of the new window and it's differences to the old?

Barqs

Reaction score
Nobody has pictures of the new window and it's differences to the old?
My replacement sure looked to be the same as the old one, so I was also curious to see how this "new" one looked.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Page 88, Post 1,748

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok I thought I had a picture of the old window, but I can't find it.

Here is the pictures of the new window, on the one with the arrow, the frame piece seems to stretch longer than the old one and seems to get slimmer as it gets closer to the cab door. The next picture shows the thickness, from what I can see, it's much thicker than the previous one.

The first picture shows how they left my seat bolts... :( 🤷‍♂️ well the one picture was cross-threaded....so that was a lot of fun to fix.

Attachments

• Rear Window 1.jpg
    Rear Window 1.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Window 2.jpg
    Window 2.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Window 3.jpg
    Window 3.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 134

Barqs

Reaction score
Page 88, Post 1,748

My replacement is definitely the OLD style, but with the correct date code. The part number/revision code on the invoice was the same, so I figured it wasn't the revised design. Guess I'll just have to wait until this one fails and get it replaced too. Bummer!

Dodgey

Reaction score
Just wanted to add to the pile here.
Cracked frame, leaking water. 2019 16k miles

Dealer said it was 3rd brake light and I insisted it was the window frame because of the cracks. I hadn’t found this thread yet or I would’ve been more adamant. Waited a couple weeks for the light and of course it still leaked through the frame. So now waiting for the approval for the new rear window like everyone else in this thread.

Already had to deal with the truck being inoperable due to the radio constantly restarting and draining the battery. Im about fed up with this. Can’t imagine what year 5 is going to look like. Doubt I’m sticking around to find out.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just wanted to add to the pile here.
Cracked frame, leaking water. 2019 16k miles

Dealer said it was 3rd brake light and I insisted it was the window frame because of the cracks. I hadn’t found this thread yet or I would’ve been more adamant. Waited a couple weeks for the light and of course it still leaked through the frame. So now waiting for the approval for the new rear window like everyone else in this thread.

Already had to deal with the truck being inoperable due to the radio constantly restarting and draining the battery. Im about fed up with this. Can’t imagine what year 5 is going to look like. Doubt I’m sticking around to find out.
Just curious, how long have you had the cracks? Did you have the cracks for a while before it started leaking?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious, how long have you had the cracks? Did you have the cracks for a while before it started leaking?

It’s not necessarily immediate. The crack sometimes takes time to work itself through. Some have cracks and never leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synergy26

Reaction score
Ok I thought I had a picture of the old window, but I can't find it.

Here is the pictures of the new window, on the one with the arrow, the frame piece seems to stretch longer than the old one and seems to get slimmer as it gets closer to the cab door. The next picture shows the thickness, from what I can see, it's much thicker than the previous one.

The first picture shows how they left my seat bolts... :( 🤷‍♂️ well the one picture was cross-threaded....so that was a lot of fun to fix.
That does look a little different. Here is my original. It's at the dealer under the knife right not for this and having the HVAC box behind the dash replaced under tsb. Hopefully they don't mess anything up

Attachments

• 20210530_172952.jpg
    20210530_172952.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Dodgey

Reaction score
It’s hard to say but I believe the cracks were there for quite some time before the leak occurred. Not a real common area I looked closely at and at first I thought they were just parting lines not cracks. I did find a picture going back at least 9 months that shows the cracks. But confident no water until about 4 weeks ago. Maybe the 3rd brake light was also a contributing factor. Service advisor also mentioned he had another guy in with the same problem.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The difference is quite obvious when you get the updated window. The upper frame rail that guides the slider is thicker and the total length of the window. The factory tint seemed slighty brighter and the outer seals for the slider are different as well. Can post detailed pics when I get back to my truck tomorrow.

R.Duff

Reaction score
Dropped my 19 sport off this morning for the leak dudes to play with it. Dealership called few hours later and said they ordered a new window and spoke to FCA Canada, Back ordered so we'll see how long it takes to come in, thankfully I have a tiny leak compared to some.

Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 19. I'm just over the 36k warranty, so my local dealership told me it's not covered, and it's a $1400 repair. They said the issue is both the frame and the 3rd brake light. I also have an extended warranty, but they denied coverage too by saying that it's a body part, which is not covered. ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread