5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess this means I've officially joined the team. Just noticed the wet carpet under the rear seats and looked on the forums to find this thread and wouldn't you know it I've got a crack just above my sliding rear window on the passenger's side. So to catch me up quickly and not have to read 73 pages full of posts, is there a STAR number, TSB, or other thing for me to reference to help the dealership get this resolved instead of playing the guessing game with them again?
Are you still under warranty, or did you have a replacement under warranty already like I did?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: I got my truck back yesterday. The replacement part # is 68426398AC for the backlite. I’m disappointed that it’s not the part # ending in ‘AD’, but good enough for now. Hopefully, it’s fixed for good. View attachment 83935

That is the part they replaced my original with. It lasted 9-10 months and is cracked and now is leaking. Original part was cracked but didn't leak. Now they ordered the AD part which I am waiting on...

vietatran05

Reaction score
That is the part they replaced my original with. It lasted 9-10 months and is cracked and now is leaking. Original part was cracked but didn't leak. Now they ordered the AD part which I am waiting on...
Bummer! Thanks for letting me know.

vietatran05

Reaction score
Did you ask the dealer about why they didn't replace it with the AD part number back glass ? Also I see the part # for the new redesign 3rd brake light #68298380AG did you also get that replaced ? They are still telling me that the 3rd brake light is not available till March 15.
I asked, and the service advisor said he doesn’t know anything about the part number ending in AD. I’ve been dealing with the leak since Jan, so I just wanted it replaced ASAP. I’ll push for the new part number if it leaks again. My 3rd brake light is on order. They will be replacing it as soon as they get it.

SteelCityRags

Reaction score
Quick update to my saga with the cracked rear windshield:

Got the call from the dealership that the windshield is in and scheduled the replacement.

I’ll post my results when the work is done and hopefully no more cracks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ZWilson07

Reaction score
I might have missed it but is this also affecting a lot of the 2021s? Or were they lucky enough to be late enough to get the “fixed” PN?

Seems like I possibly dodged a lot of bullets from the 12 inch screen, air ride, AC, 3rd brake light, whistle noises, water leaks, rear door issues, now rear glass, etc going with a 2021.

Last edited:

Synergy26

Reaction score
I might have missed it but is this also affecting a lot of the 2021s? Or were they lucky enough to be late enough to get the “fixed” PN?

Seems like I possibly dodged a lot of bullets from the 12 inch screen, air ride, AC, 3rd brake light, whistle noises, water leaks, rear door issues, now rear glass, etc going with a 2021.
What rear door issues?

ZWilson07

Reaction score
What rear door issues?
Rear doors either not opening or when they do not shutting back. Usually only an issue in cold weather states. Some dealers say freezing up, some say seals, some say cables, etc.

Barqs

Reaction score
Are you still under warranty, or did you have a replacement under warranty already like I did?
I'm still under warranty thanks to COVID. I would have been well past 36k miles if life hadn't come to a screeching halt in March 2020. But since I parked my truck a year I'm still under 32k.

Barqs

Reaction score
It’s an issue if the cab flexes too much or if you hit a big pothole that twists the cab. It’s not an unforced break. It’s caused by ‘trauma’ to the cab. And the flex. causes the weak spot to give in the frame. The frames that have a faint discolored line that looks like what happens when you bend plastic are the ones that are failing for the most part. Frames with out that discolored faint line seem to be ok. That faint line is exactly where the crack happens. Just another POS part from a Chinese company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also wonder if it has something to do with the shock the frame takes every time the rear window slides opened or closed. When mine hits the stops it does so with enough energy that I can feel it and hear it. I may not bother opening my window up again once I get this repair, just in case.

Nova90

Reaction score
My Dad has a 2019 Rebel and I asked him about if he had those cracks & he said no. Well, I stopped over there and took a look myself. He has 2 vertical cracks on both sides of the window frame. Now, that he is taking notice, there are water droplets and its leaking. He took it to the dealer today & showed them the Star bulletin and pics of the water leak. Service manager says he has only seen one other truck with this issue. Service manager is contacting Ram about next step. The 2019 is still under warranty with 6,500 miles. I'm not sure my Dad has ever opened that window. I think it is more about flex in the cab vs. the window bumping stops.

Hopefully, the 2021 Rebel that I am about to order has these water leaks squared away...although, after reading the history here, I am not so convinced.

Thanks for all the great info here!

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also wonder if it has something to do with the shock the frame takes every time the rear window slides opened or closed. When mine hits the stops it does so with enough energy that I can feel it and hear it. I may not bother opening my window up again once I get this repair, just in case.
That was the apparent difference between the old window and the AC part replacement. That was the first thing I noticed with the replacement was the sliding window was much quieter and not so forceful.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I’ve never ever opened mine and am on my 3rd window including the original

U

User_7672

I’m having issue!! Got word today mine won’t be covered. Called Chrysler.. waiting for call back. To see what the deal is with it and why the denied coverage. Anyone else been denied coverage?
They're not covering after the 3 yr/36k not even with the extended warranty because it doesn't include glass.

U

User_7672

They’re confusing glass warranty with window frame It’s not a glass warranty repair which is 12k 12 months

The frame is considered part of the glass, it's sold as a unit. The unit is covered 3yr/ 36k

Users who are viewing this thread