5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

KSOTI

Reaction score
I guess this means I've officially joined the team. Just noticed the wet carpet under the rear seats and looked on the forums to find this thread and wouldn't you know it I've got a crack just above my sliding rear window on the passenger's side. So to catch me up quickly and not have to read 73 pages full of posts, is there a STAR number, TSB, or other thing for me to reference to help the dealership get this resolved instead of playing the guessing game with them again?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210218-100359_Office Mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20210218-100359_Office Mobile.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20210218-100509_Office Mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20210218-100509_Office Mobile.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 115

Barqs

Reaction score
PERFECT! Thank you!

I have an appointment tomorrow and the service advisor had not heard about this issue yet, but I've had really good luck with this dealership looking into these problems and not getting upset if I provide them with some documentation to assist in the search. My original dealership, however, doesn't like assistance. So I go to the little guy down the street for these sorts of issues. After all, they fixed my squealing brakes after the big guy couldn't do it in three separate trips because they wouldn't look at the documentation I provided.

We are also expected to get 3-5" of rain this weekend, so my back carpet is going to be a mess before this gets fixed.

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
PERFECT! Thank you!

I have an appointment tomorrow and the service advisor had not heard about this issue yet, but I've had really good luck with this dealership looking into these problems and not getting upset if I provide them with some documentation to assist in the search. My original dealership, however, doesn't like assistance. So I go to the little guy down the street for these sorts of issues. After all, they fixed my squealing brakes after the big guy couldn't do it in three separate trips because they wouldn't look at the documentation I provided.

We are also expected to get 3-5" of rain this weekend, so my back carpet is going to be a mess before this gets fixed.
I find it hard that they haven't heard of this issue since it is so wide spread.

Barqs

Reaction score
I find it hard that they haven't heard of this issue since it is so wide spread.
It may be a case where the service writer hasn't heard of it but the mechanic knows all about it. This is a small dealership, so they use an externally sourced repair technician for their leak evaluations. I'm told this guy works with many dealerships, so it's likely he already knows about it and will know how to quickly verify it is the problem. Either way I've got a copy of the STAR report to share with them now thanks to the great folks in this forum!

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Being optimistic, I'd like to think that any truck assembled after November 26th (based on the verbiage on page 2 with the part dates), should not be affected. Of course, that also assumes that Ram wouldn't keep using up their inventory of "bad" parts, now that they have implemented a different part.

All that also assumes that the new parts actually fix the problem.

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
Being optimistic, I'd like to think that any truck assembled after November 26th (based on the verbiage on page 2 with the part dates), should not be affected. Of course, that also assumes that Ram wouldn't keep using up their inventory of "bad" parts, now that they have implemented a different part.

All that also assumes that the new parts actually fix the problem.
Oh trust me, they will roll the dice in hopes that failures occur after warranty. :mad:

Kicknsnare

Reaction score
So this has window surround plastic crack issue exactly as pictured in STAR bulletin has been documented with 2 dealerships (at my own hardship as neither provided rental coverage). The first dealership recognized the known condition but "rejected cost assistance" measures as I no longer have basic warranty coverage. The second dealership performed official water leak test and documented a failure. My Ram customer care representative told me that the service bulletin is not related to my vehicle and that it could not be determined whether the issue resulted from an outside influence or a manufacturer defect (even though looks exactly as pictured in STAR bulletin).

So I'll be resolving this myself with silicone.

I'm curious if there are any lawyers on this forum and our next steps to present a civil case against FCA. What do you think?

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
I am sure there will be a class action lawsuit in the near future. Hold onto your receipts and any documentation from dealer and Ram.

Reactions: c3k

Barqs

Reaction score
Yesterday we hit the 70's after the deep freeze (for the south) last week. I went out and opened up my windows to let my rear carpet breath and dry out. When I got in to close everything down, I noticed that the slight crack I had seen the day before was now a considerable crack that went all the way up to the top of the window now, and the other side of the sliding window had a hairline crack. Not sure if it was the temperature causing expansion or the vibration from opening and then closing the sliding window, but the dealership should have NO problem seeing the cracks today when they inspect my truck.

vietatran05

Reaction score
Update: I got my truck back yesterday. The replacement part # is 68426398AC for the backlite. I’m disappointed that it’s not the part # ending in ‘AD’, but good enough for now. Hopefully, it’s fixed for good. F4F48CC6-6591-49F4-BD4C-DAA9B0E1143F.jpeg

NoCrow

Reaction score
So this has window surround plastic crack issue exactly as pictured in STAR bulletin has been documented with 2 dealerships (at my own hardship as neither provided rental coverage). The first dealership recognized the known condition but "rejected cost assistance" measures as I no longer have basic warranty coverage. The second dealership performed official water leak test and documented a failure. My Ram customer care representative told me that the service bulletin is not related to my vehicle and that it could not be determined whether the issue resulted from an outside influence or a manufacturer defect (even though looks exactly as pictured in STAR bulletin).

I'm curious if there are any lawyers on this forum and our next steps to present a civil case against FCA. What do you think?
Did the dealer even bother to send in a warranty claim to fca? Because mine told me it wasn't covered past 12k mile or 12 months but he submitted it anyways and my replacement was approved by fca even though I'm at 28k miles. How many miles are on your truck? Also does your auto insurance not include rental car coverage?

RAM/Cuda

Reaction score

What Year Is your Truck, and What Model if I May Ask?

Barqs

Reaction score
Dealership trip #1 in the books. The tech found the leak immediately and the service advisor told me it was EXACTLY what I had told him (and provided a copy of the STAR report). They've ordered a new back window assembly and with any luck it will be delivered and installed next Thursday. They also had to order the recall brown floor mat as they only stocked the black mats. I asked if the window would be covered under warranty and he looked at my mileage (31k) and said "yep, you're still covered". They didn't quote me a cost for repair, so I'm going along with it being a warranty repair.

The service advisor was surprised to see this issue and once again told me I was the first one to bring it up. He said they've sold a TON of Ram 1500's so he isn't convinced it's a widespread problem, yet. But for FCA to open a STAR case and investigate to include repair parts, I'd say it's more widespread than he thinks. Does anyone think it's an environmental issue where some regions would see it more than others?

RAM/Cuda

Reaction score
Dealership trip #1 in the books. The tech found the leak immediately and the service advisor told me it was EXACTLY what I had told him (and provided a copy of the STAR report). They've ordered a new back window assembly and with any luck it will be delivered and installed next Thursday. They also had to order the recall brown floor mat as they only stocked the black mats. I asked if the window would be covered under warranty and he looked at my mileage (31k) and said "yep, you're still covered". They didn't quote me a cost for repair, so I'm going along with it being a warranty repair.

The service advisor was surprised to see this issue and once again told me I was the first one to bring it up. He said they've sold a TON of Ram 1500's so he isn't convinced it's a widespread problem, yet. But for FCA to open a STAR case and investigate to include repair parts, I'd say it's more widespread than he thinks. Does anyone think it's an environmental issue where some regions would see it more than others?
I do Not believe it is a Geographical Problem.

RAM/Cuda

Reaction score
I do Not believe it is a Geographical Problem.

There are too many Postings On Facebook Groups as well for this to be a "Few" with the Problem.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did the dealer even bother to send in a warranty claim to fca? Because mine told me it wasn't covered past 12k mile or 12 months but he submitted it anyways and my replacement was approved by fca even though I'm at 28k miles. How many miles are on your truck? Also does your auto insurance not include rental car coverage?

They’re confusing glass warranty with window frame It’s not a glass warranty repair which is 12k 12 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It’s an issue if the cab flexes too much or if you hit a big pothole that twists the cab. It’s not an unforced break. It’s caused by ‘trauma’ to the cab. And the flex. causes the weak spot to give in the frame. The frames that have a faint discolored line that looks like what happens when you bend plastic are the ones that are failing for the most part. Frames with out that discolored faint line seem to be ok. That faint line is exactly where the crack happens. Just another POS part from a Chinese company

jastevenson

Reaction score
Is there a way to find the rear glass/slider part number on a truck on the lot? Where is it printed? Or is the part number only visible after disassembling the window?

I’d love to know if mine has the new or old part, but don’t want to take apart the vehicle to find out!

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a way to find the rear glass/slider part number on a truck on the lot? Where is it printed? Or is the part number only visible after disassembling the window?

I’d love to know if mine has the new or old part, but don’t want to take apart the vehicle to find out!

Nope. Part numbers aren’t visible on the frame.

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
Update: I got my truck back yesterday. The replacement part # is 68426398AC for the backlite. I’m disappointed that it’s not the part # ending in ‘AD’, but good enough for now. Hopefully, it’s fixed for good. View attachment 83935
Did you ask the dealer about why they didn't replace it with the AD part number back glass ? Also I see the part # for the new redesign 3rd brake light #68298380AG did you also get that replaced ? They are still telling me that the 3rd brake light is not available till March 15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online