5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

drect

Reaction score
No it doesn’t need to be. As long as you have visible cracks that is enough to trigger the repair. That’s per the star cases that are open on this. What you should do is drive to dealer with out appt and have them take photos of the crack and submit to to fca for approval. Whether or not it leaks is not the issue. As long as it’s cracked it’s qualified for a warranty repair. That’s why a water test is not necessary. The dealer can look up the star cases and see all the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
excellent, thank you. I will do this vs what they said was needed

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
excellent, thank you. I will do this vs what they said was needed

Also, u want to make sure they don’t destroy ur door jambs and plastic trim pieces like the dealer did to mine. I was told it’s gonna cost about $380 to just re-paint the area. Not including the plastic trim pieces that I want replaced too.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, u want to make sure they don’t destroy ur door jambs and plastic trim pieces like the dealer did to mine. I was told it’s gonna cost about $380 to just re-paint the area. Not including the plastic trim pieces that I want replaced too.

Good Point. Take photos of your truck exterior around the rear window as well as the trim panels around the rear seats and the door sills. I found a few paint scuffs along the bottom of the window exterior that I needed to polish out. Go over the truck with a close eye before you take it home!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@RamCares can you give me some backup on this so I can take it in this week while I am off work? Thanks!

I am more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you work with your dealer. Please send us a private message when you can!

Mark
RamCares

Bigga826

Reaction score
Add me to this damn list! 2020 bighorn and just saw this today and its only drizzling. No visible cracks though....anyone know if they have updated the quality of seal they use around the 3rd brake light? Appointment on Monday for other issues, will add this.

Attachments

• 20201016_085739.jpg
    20201016_085739.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 94

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Add me to this damn list! 2020 bighorn and just saw this today and its only drizzling. No visible cracks though....anyone know if they have updated the quality of seal they use around the 3rd brake light? Appointment on Monday for other issues, will add this.
Nope. I bought this and replaced my 3rd brake light gasket: https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building...rine+rubber+weatherseal&qid=1596821512&sr=8-1

I put that on my CHSML and put a dab of clear RTB on the screws after I re-installed it. Others have bought something similar at Lowe's / Home Depot.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just go to Lowe’s and get the marine rubber gasket material and be done with it. 10.00 and permanent piece of mind.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I wonder if your crack just started and is coming from the outside and working it’s way inward. A 3rd brake light leak would have water in the middle of the frame typically

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wonder if your crack just started and is coming from the outside and working it’s way inward. A 3rd brake light leak would have water in the middle of the frame typically

I suspect that is the case considering its location is right at the seam line.

Bigga826

Reaction score
Just go to Lowe’s and get the marine rubber gasket material and be done with it. 10.00 and permanent piece of mind.

Thanks, Just the gasket and stick on with its own adhesive? Or did you use rtv as well?

Vilas15

Reaction score
I got my truck back today from the dealership for the window replacement and I’m furious!! I didn’t notice this until I got home but someone destroyed the door jamb paint. They gouged the sh!t out of it, dented it and scratched / gouged the plastic trim too. I’m calling them tomorrow about this but not sure I even want them to try and fix it. The only thing I can think of is getting a signed letter from the dealership owner stating that I won’t be responsible for this damage if I get charged at my least end.

How does this even happen? This is a crew cab truck with a ton of space. They couldn’t get a seat out without fcking something up? And then to less then half a$$ “repair” it with sloppy a$$ touch up paint and then not even say anything to me as if I’m not gonna notice it!! SMH...

What do u guys think I should do? I know one thing for sure if this or any other vehicle I’m leasing starts leaking, it will stay that way. I will not take it in to avoid bullish!t like this.

View attachment 71054 View attachment 71055 View attachment 71056 View attachment 71057 View attachment 71058 View attachment 71059 View attachment 71061
This is why I'm hesitant to get my window replaced. Its been cracked since I bought it but hasnt leaked yet as far as I can tell. Is there a consensus best way to seal it on your own? If thats an easy fix I may just want to go that route.

Although if I want it replaced I need to do so under warranty. I'd like to try it once but really don't want them beating anything up when pullIng the backseat.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, Just the gasket and stick on with its own adhesive? Or did you use rtv as well?

Just the gasket. The adhesive strip on the gasket should be enough to hold in place. Once you put tension on it it will seal tight. Just make sure to clean the old gasket off. Use goo gone.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is why I'm hesitant to get my window replaced. Its been cracked since I bought it but hasnt leaked yet as far as I can tell. Is there a consensus best way to seal it on your own? If thats an easy fix I may just want to go that route.

Although if I want it replaced I need to do so under warranty. I'd like to try it once but really don't want them beating anything up when pullIng the backseat.

You can put a small bead of rtv on the area outside the truck where the crack is. Take off the 3rd light ans you should be able to see. Take a small bit of rtv on a q tip or something and cover up the area where the crack is. Some have done this already ans the rest of us will probably do it if our replacement windows crack again. Too risky to keep swapping it especially if the glass shop or dealer is not careful.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score

I felt the same way, but it will probably end up leaking some time down the road like mine. They got the new rear window assembly installed in mine. Just waiting for them to reinstall all the trim pieces and back seats.

I already have a new Ford F250 picked out waiting on delivery at the dealer if they damage anything.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201011-224419_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201011-224419_Chrome.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 54

Vilas15

Reaction score
I felt the same way, but it will probably end up leaking some time down the road like mine. They got the new rear window assembly installed in mine. Just waiting for them to reinstall all the trim pieces and back seats.

I already have a new Ford F250 picked out waiting on delivery at the dealer if they damage anything.
This is fortunately the only issue ive had. That's why I might just seal it myself before I get to that point. I suppose at any point before my warranty ends I could take it in. Although it might be a bit suspicious if I try to seal it and it ends up leaking anyways.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
This is fortunately the only issue ive had. That's why I might just seal it myself before I get to that point. I suppose at any point before my warranty ends I could take it in. Although it might be a bit suspicious if I try to seal it and it ends up leaking anyways.
I'm not sure sealing a cracked frame will even last that long with all the twisting and such of the body. The replacement rear windows seem like a hit and miss. Yours is a 2020 and the frames are still cracking, mine is a 2019. I'm still unsure what to do with my truck and it's getting fixed.

Harpo61

Reaction score
I am in the market for a Ram 1500 Bighorn probably a 2021 !
Does anyone know if the the rear window assembly has been modified on the 2021’s ?

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
I am in the market for a Ram 1500 Bighorn probably a 2021 !
Does anyone know if the the rear window assembly has been modified on the 2021’s ?

When I go pick my truck up I can check the rear window on a 2021. Most likely it's the same as the replacements for the cracked ones now.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a new part number for a “re-designed” window. I can only assume that’s what is being installed at the factory now.

I’ve only read of one person having the new window crack also. So far so good on mine.

Those of us that post on forums are an incredibly small percentage of the buyers. If the rear window is what is holding you back from buying a RAM I wouldn’t worry about it. The precedence has been set and getting repair approval is not an issue with FCA.

Even with the issues I’ve had (7 warranty visits to the dealership) I still love the truck and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread